FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2021 7:24 PM  #1

Tachometer ?

Running 1993 302 with Standard Ford Distributer, points replaced with Pertronix's  ignitor . works great until i wired the Green lead of the  Sunpro Tach in on the negative of side of the coil per instruction .car quit immediately. unwired it engine started . Any one experience this and have a solution .  Instruction's are Black (ground) Red ignition (12volts running)  Green (coil negative side)   White (lights )

9/01/2021 4:30 AM  #2

Re: Tachometer ?

Are you sure the tach is good?  The wiring you note is what is typical of all aftermarket tachs I've ever installed.  I have the same setup in my car and its wired the same way and works as it should. 

9/01/2021 6:16 AM  #3

Kinda agree with TKO on bad tach. Was this a good working tach with the points or is it new after the pertronix was installed. If you have an ohm meter you could measure the resistance between the green and black wire. I would think it would be high. A low value would ground the coil and I would assume the tach to be bad. This would need checked in both directions, reverse the way the black and green wire connect to the ohm meter. I don't own a tach so this is just an educated guess test.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

9/04/2021 10:28 PM  #4

Don't know if you figured this out but I think you have the black and green wires backwards. I looked at my Sun tach today and the black goes to the negative side of the coil and the green is the ground for the light.

Hope this helps...

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

9/05/2021 2:28 PM  #5

Got it .wiring problem . 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.