FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2021 12:19 PM  #1

Mini Bash Thrash / or... How to convert 1965 6 Cylinder Mustang to V8

I changed my oil in the 66, replaced a busted motor mount and I think it is about ready to hit the Kansas Trail.

Tomorrow, Jose and I start changing parts on his 65 six cylinder fastback. All we have to do is completely remove the entire six cylinder suspension and drivetrain, do a complete front end rebuild, shelby drop, install disc brakes, convert to power brakes, install borgeson power steering, a 5.0 v8 that I built for it, complete 289 hipo dual exhaust system, a C4 automatic tranny, Maverick 8” rear end, new rear brakes and Al’s old Torque Thrust D wheels and tires. Maybe some new shocks if we get a round tuit. Then drive it to the Kansas mini bash (10.5 hour ride) to get it broken in.

Pray for us…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/12/2021 12:25 PM  #2

Re: Mini Bash Thrash / or... How to convert 1965 6 Cylinder Mustang to V8

No big deal considering you've got a whole month...lookin' forward to seeing it and meeting Jose.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/12/2021 1:02 PM  #3

Tomorrow, the start day, is the 13th of September.  We head out to Kansas on Oct 7.
Any way I count days, that is less than a month. 

We need the “A” team!

9/12/2021 2:05 PM  #4

I pity the fool(s)!

9/12/2021 4:42 PM  #5

If you have all the new parts on hand ready to go, that is plenty of time if you have two people working on it, especially if one of those people is named MS.

9/12/2021 5:50 PM  #6

Follow this thread for a daily progress update.

9/12/2021 7:28 PM  #7

MS wrote:

You ain't got time for no update'in.  Git out there and bolt stuff together.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/12/2021 7:34 PM  #8

Jose is out there pressure washing the bottom and engine compartment of the car right now.

9/12/2021 7:37 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Stay tuned; Same bat time same bat channel.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

9/13/2021 12:46 PM  #10

Day ONE
Monday of Week 1

Entire front suspension and steering is all removed. Car is on jackstands on my four post lift. Rear end comes out next.

9/13/2021 12:51 PM  #11

Sawzall?😃

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/13/2021 3:41 PM  #12

The old 6 to 8 swap... been there,  done that. A lot of work, but then, I was a newbie to old Mustangs. Started in 1996, was "completed" in 2000. Took a while for sure, two steps forward, one back, etc. I'm sure MS can bang this out in no time..."I'll be watching you..."

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/13/2021 9:14 PM  #13

Day ONE
Monday of Week 1 (continued)

Entire suspension removed
Exhaust cut out
Rear end and driveshaft out
Engine unbolted ready to lift out tomorrow morning.
Car fell off jackstands, but the post on the lift kept it from falling off the lift. Got it lifted back in place by using engine hoist chained to motor mount. No skin lost and no sheetmetal damage.  Lucky.

9/14/2021 5:36 AM  #14

Amazing that it avoided sheet metal damage falling off the stands. Glad the people and the car weren't hurt.

Where were the jack stands placed?

9/14/2021 8:04 AM  #15

Stands were in the proper slots on the pinch welds under the rear rockers and under the front of the frame rails near where the floor support attaches. (The one that goes over the tranny hump)

9/14/2021 1:16 PM  #16

What caused it to slip off the stands?  Too much yanking and pulling to remove old suspension parts?

9/14/2021 5:48 PM  #17

Tried to adjust one stand with bottle jack to lift. Got 1/2” off the stand and WHAMO.  STILL don’t know why.  But the jack tray that was under the front framerails was at the very back of the lift after it happened.
All I know is that I felt the fender of my 66 bend when my head hit it as I evacuated from under the lift, and my right hip is a bit sore where I landed on the rubber air hose.
No damage to my 66, thank THE LORD.  It was parked six feet away from the lift, parallel to it. Hip will heal.  Fender would not.

9/14/2021 5:58 PM  #18

Day TWO
Tuesday of Week 1

Rerouted rear brake line and welded new bracket for it to work with dual exhaust.
Watched Jose try to remove rear shackle rubber bushing stuck in frame rail on driver side.  Took two hours. New rear shackles and bushings installed. (Car had rear springs previously replaced)
74 Maverick 8” rear end is installed, awaiting  drum brakes to be rebuilt tomorrow.
Rewelded right rear spring shackle bushing tube in the frame.  It had been rattling around the elongated hole for a long, long time.
Removed hood.
Removed the 200 and stuck it in the back of Jose’s truck.
Installed v8 frame mounts.
Removed some POS tranny cooler mounted in front if radiator.

Tomorrow:
Rebuild rear brakes
Install Al’s old Torque Thrust rear wheels
Shelby drop drilling.
Maybe start front suspension rebuild. 
Test fit Shelby export brace.  Will require new holes in the cowl.

Note:  car did not fall off lift today😀

9/14/2021 6:03 PM  #19

Wishing we had easy pic posting…

9/14/2021 6:58 PM  #20

MS wrote:

Tried to adjust one stand with bottle jack to lift. Got 1/2” off the stand and WHAMO.  STILL don’t know why.  But the jack tray that was under the front framerails was at the very back of the lift after it happened.
All I know is that I felt the fender of my 66 bend when my head hit it as I evacuated from under the lift, and my right hip is a bit sore where I landed on the rubber air hose.
No damage to my 66, thank THE LORD.  It was parked six feet away from the lift, parallel to it. Hip will heal.  Fender would not.

Weird. Glad everything and everyone was ok.

Sounds like you are making good progress otherwise!

9/14/2021 6:59 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Wishing we had easy pic posting…

Us too.

9/15/2021 8:07 PM  #22

Day THREE
Wednesday of Week 1

Finished all new drum brake parts on the rear end, including custom steel hard lines
Removed pedal support and steering column and steering box in prep for MS power brake conversion and Borgeson power steering box.
Had to go buy new rear brake shoes at OReilly. The ones he got from Rock Auto had a big chunk of the brake shoe busted off the corner of one shoe.
Al’s rear wheels and tires are now on the car. The replacement rear leaf springs that were already on the car sit almost 3” higher than the ones on my car. They have been on it for years. It looks ridiculous, so that will need to be fixed with lowering blocks or new reverse eye springs once some become available.
Tomorrow will work
On power brake conversion and Borgeson.

9/16/2021 7:36 PM  #23

Day FOUR
Thursday of Week 1

Installed front suspension, ready for spindle assemblies once we get the brake line brackets bolted into the frame rails centered under the UCA.
The brand new MOOG complete upper control arm assembly bushings would barely rotate, so I disassembled them to do the MustangSteve style rebuild on them. I was surprised to find that MOOG has adopted my slotted UCA shaft conversion!  That made my day.  So, I reassembled them with grease (they were bone dry) and properly adjusted and welded the steel bushings so they would rotate freely.  We did the Shelby drop, installed new springs and everything else.
Borgeson box is bolted to the frame.  I made a spacer so the rubber boot on the steering box pitman shaft did something other that just hang loose around the shaft. Now it acts like a real seal.
I modified the pedal support and pedal for the MustangSteve power brake conversion and sealed bearing pedal shaft kit. Turns out that someone added the c-4 tranny and the car was originally a manual three speed. That explains all the stripped bolts in the bellhousing and the crappy coolant lines that did not resemble any originals. Jose said it was automatic when he bought it in 1992.
We modified the mounting holes in the shock towers where the shock mount and export brace bolts down so they would work with later model 3/8” carriage bolts instead of the wimpy 65-66 5/16” carriage bolts. Had to redrill the cowl for the new Drake export brace to fit.  It aligned nicely with both shock towers once the cowl was redrilled.  The Scott Drake concours export brace is actually a decent part, unlike most of their other stuff.

So, tomorrow, the spindles and front brake lines go on, 1” sway bar goes on, then engine and tranny go in.  The car will be sitting on all four tires with the engine and tranny bolted in place by the end of Friday.

Still waiting on brake booster to arrive to finalize the steering column installation.

9/16/2021 8:01 PM  #24

Sounds like you didn't sit down much. 

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

9/17/2021 12:33 AM  #25

Sounds Awesome

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.