FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2021 7:39 PM  #76

Re: Mini Bash Thrash / or... How to convert 1965 6 Cylinder Mustang to V8

So glad to hear it's running.  I still get excited over a fresh engine start.   Give Jose my best, looking forward to meeting him. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/02/2021 7:10 PM  #77

Day NINETEEN
Friday of Week 3

Today we installed a stand-alone Autometer electrical TEMPERATURE gauge since the dash gauges were not acting 100% correct. The temperature is a steady 180 degrees.  I got OIL and FUEL gauge working. The dash lights work when individually tested by holding the bulb mount to a ground, but will not work when installed. Ran a new separate ground to them and they still won’t work. Oh, well. I see a major rework of the cluster in the future.

I drove the car today. Runs perfect. It is smooth and quiet and very peppy. The Summit 500 cfm carb is a great carb. The Scott Drake 2” exhaust is quiet but you can tell it has some power.

The car is out of my shop after nineteen days of solid work.

Now for the real bash thrash to begin on the 66.  I sure am looking forward to seeing everyone in Dallas and Kansas.

Don’t forget the mini-bash pre-bash-bash to be held at Joy Luck Chinese restaurant on  Thursday Oct 7 at 1:00.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/03/2021 12:09 AM  #78

MS wrote:

Lessons learned, among many

Do NOT bypass the pink ignition wire by splicing into it, leaving a 1” piece of pink at each end of the new wire. While doing that simplifies the ignition wire getting through the firewall, it results in lower voltage. In this case, it resulted in 9.8 volts in RUN. Replacing the pink wire altogether resulted in 11 volts in RUN.

WILL EITHER WAY WORK? Yes, I have run durasparks off the pink wire alone back in my lesser experienced days, without issue, but they are supposed to have full system voltage. To do it right, eliminate the entire pink wire from the system. The pink wire is a resistance wire designed to reduce the 12 volts down to 9 volts for use with the original points ignition.

I'll have to admit that many years ago, (about 1999 or so) I had asked you about whether to run a separate wire to the  Duraspark module I was installing, or to just leave the pink wire in and your response to me was "why don't you just leave ole pinky in there" so I did.  The Duraspark ran fine with no issues with the 250/6 that I had installed and when it crapped out in 2000  I put in the 351W with the MSD system, and I never swapped over to a non resistor wire - yet it still works fine with no issues at all and that's been 21 years.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/04/2021 3:19 PM  #79

GLAD ITS ALL COMING TOGETHER

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/05/2021 8:41 AM  #80

Two of my current favorite pics.  One of Jose’s car having been in my driveway. One of it having been in my shop.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/05/2021 11:35 AM  #81

Absinthe makes the heart fonder😂

10/05/2021 5:03 PM  #82

Nos681 wrote:

Absinthe makes the heart fonder😂

Was that  Freudian slip?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.