FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2021 11:51 PM  #1

Export Brace Install…or maybe not.

An acquaintance of mine gave me an export brace he had lying around in his shop.  Since I have an under powered I6 for an engine I never really gave an export brace too much thought. So now I have one.  It seems like one of the more stout thicker versions, but IDK.  It has previously been installed on a car and was replaced by a chrome one. So I cleaned it up, took off the factory shock tower braces, shock caps, test fit the brace, aaaaaand nothing lines up.  Ok, my research told me to expect this. Fine. I jacked up the front with tires barely off the ground, put jack stands under the motor mounts and eased it down. Let’s check gaps.  Driver side, some gap appeared between the fender and cowl, maybe 1/8 inch. The passenger side widened 1/4 inch maybe 5/16.  Definitely surprising. Huuuuuge gap. I had been wondering how I was going to get those fenders to fit better, since they were both tight up against the cowl.  Now I know. 

So now the brace fits OK on the shock towers. A little massaging and the bolts are a little tight, but nuts go on loosely.  The firewall side is unbelievably off. A full half inch.  It’s not even close. The brace edge hits the cowl but fits flush on the shelf, and I can’t even see the bolt holes in the cowl.  So I removed the jack stands from the motor mounts and placed them on the frame rails just where they flatten out on their way rearward.  I thought the front would sag a little like the sides did.  Nope.  Maybe 1mm worth of movement is all that happened.  Perhaps that’s good?  Who wants a front end that moves too much?

I then found a YouTube video in which a six cylinder Mustang was having similar issues with its install. The installer resorted to the bottle jack and 2X4 shock tower spreading method. Which, he said, actually brought the brace holes close to the cowl holes. Seems weird, but he claimed that’s what worked. I think I’ll try that tomorrow.

The factory shock tower braces have elongated holes for fitment.  All four holes.  At what point can I or should I consider elongating some holes?  Some guys are adamant that the export brace holes are divinely and perfectly placed and therefore pure, holy, and cannot be altered or you risk eternal damnation. 

I want to get this right so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (10/12/2021 11:55 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/13/2021 5:54 AM  #2

Re: Export Brace Install…or maybe not.

This is a good video to watch:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/13/2021 8:55 AM  #3

I just got through installing one on Jose’s 65 fastback. It took a little coercing to get it over the shock tower bolts but did line up.  The firewall flange was redrilled through the export brace holes and everything is fine once bolted up.

I always change out those wimpy 5/16” carriage bolts in the shock towers to the later 3/8” bolts which seem to be 10x stronger. The flanges on those never bend even after years of impact wrench abuse. It requires widening the slots where the carriage bolts index into the shock towers and drilling the shock mount holes to 3/8”.  The export brace holes are already 3/8”.  NPD sells a nice set for a 69-70 Mustang at a very reasonable price.  In my opinion, the 5/16” bolts are not worthy of reinstalling.

My 66 has always been hard to get the brace onto the shock tower bolts. Lots of prying and speaking in tongues results. I have learned that a 351w can be installed without removing the export brace if I remove the valve covers. Much easier than trying to reinstall that darn brace!  So, once you install it, you should never have to do it again.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/13/2021 10:37 AM  #4

I used a long pointed chisel( a 'fid' in the Navy) stick the end thru a hole on the export bar and into the hole on the cowl and PRY over like crazy!! Once you get one bolt in....the rest should go EZ'er.
Try letting the car sit on the ground and see if that lets the holes align a little better..
6sal6

(the install of the export bar AND Monte Carlo bar made a HUGE difference in how my Mustang handled
on ramps and such )

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/13/2021 5:50 PM  #5

My 66 had a Monte Carlo bar on it when I got it. When I added the export brace it basically dropped right into place. I'm sure the Monte Carlo bar held the fenders in the right place to help it line up. 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

10/13/2021 6:44 PM  #6

Sometimes we just get lucky.  My 68 didn't have anything other than the stock braces.  The export brace dropped right in place for me as well.  Lucky.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/13/2021 7:53 PM  #7

My 67 came with one. It always came off easier than it went on. What I found that works the best is to place jack stands under the front torque boxes and let the nose sag. All holes line up good then.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/15/2021 5:30 PM  #8

A big Thank You for all the advice.  No matter what I did I just could not get the firewall holes to line up.  With the Mustang Steve advice I drilled new holes in the firewall ledge and called it good.  This was one very frustrating job that I hope I never have to do again.  All the massaging gained me some room to adjust fenders.  The Monte Carlo brace I had been saving got massaged in as well.  That was a pain too. The accident this car was in back about 1980 krinkled some things and let me know it’s effects were still present. All seems well. Thanks, again!

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/15/2021 8:57 PM  #9

I always have thought that a Monte Carlo Bar is more useful than the Export Brace because it fixes the distance between the two suspension set ups.  You'll never have to worry about an alignment again or at least not for  a long time.  I WENT 20 YEARS FOLLOWING MY INSTALLATION.  The Export Brace ALSO STIFFENED THINGS UP TO HELP THE FRONT END STAY PUT.

Installation was easy.  I jacked up the front end on the front crossmember and the weight of the two suspension sides separated the shock towers enough that the bar fit easily.  Same with the Export Brace.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/16/2021 8:18 AM  #10

On monte carlo bar, be sure to use only carriage bolts on the top bolts. Using a fender bolt will result in two dents in the frame of your hood.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/16/2021 8:03 PM  #11

My first Monte Carlo bar purchase had square holes on the top for the carriage bolts.  The one I ended up with, a straight one, has round holes on the top.  Obviously made by somebody who didn’t understand carriage bolts on top. What is the best  way to make square holes where round holes are?  They just need a smidge taken out.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (10/16/2021 8:07 PM)

10/16/2021 8:12 PM  #12

Muzz 66 wrote:

My first Monte Carlo bar purchase had square holes on the top for the carriage bolts.  The one I ended up with, a straight one, has round holes on the top.  Obviously made by somebody who didn’t understand carriage bolts on top. What is the best  way to make square holes where round holes are?  They just need a smidge taken out.

A square file, HF prolly has them.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/16/2021 8:51 PM  #13

Rudi wrote:

A square file, HF prolly has them.

Off it comes, I guess.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.