FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2021 6:52 AM  #1

Inline 6 cylinder options

I noticed in another topic that someone made reference to owning an underpowered 6 cylinder. I wanted to share that there are some options to boost performance in those engines. There is also a company (Vintage Inlines) manufacturing an alloy head and intake manifold too. I eventually would like to restore an old 1960 Falcon and this is the route I would take. Anyway, here are some links below showing some information and options;

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2020/09/17/how-to-build-a-ford-inline-six-engine-for-durability-and-power/

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/deposit-only-aluminum-head-package

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mump-0902-ford-six-cylinder-performance-guide/

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mufp-0607-six-cylinder-engine-performance/

Sure they won't match a V8, but I believe the 6 cylinder engines can be modified to give you some more giddy up than stock.

Last edited by Toploader (10/14/2021 6:53 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/14/2021 7:20 AM  #2

Re: Inline 6 cylinder options

How did Ford break in the cams after engine assembly?
Do you think they ran each engine at 2k for the recommended time at the factory?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/14/2021 7:42 AM  #3

I just want to say that I have been wanting to build an in-line for a long time. I would love a 300 in a early F100, or a 250 in a Falcon or early Fairlane.

I love my 68 with the V8, and mine is no where as wild as some of yours, I have a 331 with AFR heads, more cam than it needs, 5-speed and 3.73 rear gear. JBA headers full 2 1/2" exhaust with Magna flows. Its loud and will get nasty at 6000 RPM's

Its funny that this topic came up this morning as last night I went and picked up a buddy's 66 coupe with a 200 and C4, I drove it 80 miles to my place, and it was happy at 75 mph, extremely smooth and so quiet you would think the motor was off. Don't get me wrong, the V8 is a blast, but the right in-line and a 5-speed would make a fun cruiser, and I would like to see how economical you could make it. I don't think 30 mpg would be out of reach. 

10/14/2021 8:27 AM  #4

Some of the nicest engines made march in single file.
The first one’s that comes to mind are the Aussie “Barra”,  Toyota 2JZ and Jag XK6.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/14/2021 10:27 AM  #5

I've often wondered if Hudson hadn't been circling the drain when they were building the Hornet what we would think of I6s today.  If the designer had the budget to do the R&D on the next evolution of that engine I think it would have been awesome.  308 cubic inches (imagine that), and its biggest issue was the valve in block design that limited breathing and RPM potential.  His next design would have gone to OHV and triple carburetion. 

Same guy I believe created the 300 I6 at Ford, and I can tell you, I drove an F150 with the 4.9EFI and it was a beast.  I guarantee it made more torque at a lower RPM than any 302, and probably rivaled the 351. 

I'll add the Nissan RB26DETT to the list of bad @$$ I6s.  BMW also built a DOHC I6 for their M1 supercar that was a monster.  A cut down 4 cylinder version was used in the first M3 (E30) and made almost 200HP in the '80s without a turbo. 

10/14/2021 10:58 AM  #6

Rudi wrote:

Do you think they ran each engine at 2k for the recommended time at the factory?

I saw a documentary a while back, that showed them connecting an electric motor to the engine and running it that way till they were broke in.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/14/2021 11:55 AM  #7

Toploader wrote:

I noticed in another topic that someone made reference to owning an underpowered 6 cylinder. I wanted to share that there are some options to boost performance in those engines. There is also a company (Vintage Inlines) manufacturing an alloy head and intake manifold too. I eventually would like to restore an old 1960 Falcon and this is the route I would take. Anyway, here are some links below showing some information and options;

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2020/09/17/how-to-build-a-ford-inline-six-engine-for-durability-and-power/
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/deposit-only-aluminum-head-package
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mump-0902-ford-six-cylinder-performance-guide/
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mufp-0607-six-cylinder-engine-performance/

Sure they won't match a V8, but I believe the 6 cylinder engines can be modified to give you some more giddy up than stock.

Clifford Industries (https://cliffordperformance.net/) has been in the market for a long time and they have products for several manufacturers' I-6 engines. 

Having recently gone back to an I-6 from a 351W I can also state that there are tons of resources available at the fordsix forum (the forum home page is https://fordsix.com, the home page of Classic Inlines is https://fordsix.com/ci/, the home for their excellent tech page collection is https://fordsix.com/ci/Tech.html).

There is also a performance handbook (The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook) as well.  It's available from several sources.

I'm a huge fan of the fordsix.com forums and have learned a LOT from the members there.  I highly recommend that you join if you have any ambitions to work with any Ford I6 of any vintage.  They have dedicated forums for the "small blocks" (144-170-200-250), big block (240, 300), Aussie engines, vintage Ford engines (flathead, 215-223), a single forum for other makes of I-6 engines, as well as forums for turbo/supercharging and EFI.

As an aside, I can't speak for the person who made the "underpowered 6 cylinder" remark but I suspect that there may have been some tongue in cheek at play, since nearly everyone on this site is a committed V8 fanatic.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/14/2021 12:03 PM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've often wondered if Hudson hadn't been circling the drain when they were building the Hornet what we would think of I6s today.  If the designer had the budget to do the R&D on the next evolution of that engine I think it would have been awesome.  308 cubic inches (imagine that), and its biggest issue was the valve in block design that limited breathing and RPM potential.  His next design would have gone to OHV and triple carburetion. 

Same guy I believe created the 300 I6 at Ford, and I can tell you, I drove an F150 with the 4.9EFI and it was a beast.  I guarantee it made more torque at a lower RPM than any 302, and probably rivaled the 351. 

I'll add the Nissan RB26DETT to the list of bad @$$ I6s.  BMW also built a DOHC I6 for their M1 supercar that was a monster.  A cut down 4 cylinder version was used in the first M3 (E30) and made almost 200HP in the '80s without a turbo. 

Oh yeah, my very first *new* vehicle was an 89 F-150 base as they get model with a 300-6 and a 5 speed. That truck was awesome and would kill a 302 based truck until you got to freeway speeds. Only issue was the exhaust manifold liked to warp and leak. Other than that wonderful engine.

10/14/2021 1:15 PM  #9

https://youtu.be/KTmlijApihk?t=2

Lotsa $$$ can make lotsa HP like this 'ol pickup!!

40 pages with lotsa pictures detail what these guys did to build this Bonneville killer!
Sounds REAL sweeet for a  'sic-cylinder.....
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/14/2021 1:39 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

Wasn't it the buyer's responsibility to break in the new car? 

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/14/2021 3:05 PM  #11

Rufus68 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Wasn't it the buyer's responsibility to break in the new car? 

That's what I thought and you had a break in period where you drove at varying speeds?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/14/2021 3:17 PM  #12

I'm a big fan of the inline 6. Personally, if my Mustang had one, I would not be converting to a V8. There's lots of good information out there on how you can work these engines.
The Aussies came up with the 2V head and I know that woke the engines up. Now they are producing an alloy 2V head, so that has to be even better. I remember seeing dyno results somewhere comparing the difference.
Apparently the 250cui with the cast iron 2V head was rated at 170HP back in the 70's.
Yes sir... A 1960 Falcon with a 200cui block, an alloy 2V head, set of headers, cam and recurved distributor would do me very nicely.

10/14/2021 4:13 PM  #13

My wife’s 1979 F150 has 300/4 speed/4x4.
It has plenty of torque as it was used in F250 and F350’s as well.
Previous owner installed Offy 4 barrel intake and Holley off-road truck avenger.
This combination won’t ever hit 30 mpg, we’re okay with that.
It’s a truck and that’s how we use it.
We both enjoy driving it…yes she lets me drive it.

Thanks for sharing the inline links.

Last edited by Nos681 (10/14/2021 4:14 PM)

10/14/2021 6:54 PM  #14

I have just the deal you have been looking for. 250 with aluminum valve cover and a 289 hipo air cleaner. No extra charge for the 427 sticker.

It is getting pulled from my 69.

The sound of a six shall never again invade my space.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/14/2021 7:04 PM  #15

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/15/2021 12:35 AM  #16

I found the dyno results...

https://fordsix.com/ci/DynoRoom-2.html

And here's some Australian information on the 6 cylinder in the Falcon...

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/falcon_XY_technical_specifications

10/18/2021 4:35 PM  #17

upload images

I guess a six CAN be made to 'turn-on'!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (10/18/2021 4:36 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/18/2021 6:43 PM  #18

Consider that the 6-71 blower came from an I6.  It was a Detroit Diesel (6-71 means 6 cylinders at 71 cubic inches per cylinder or 426 cubic inches).  Before turbos they ran superchargers on Diesels to get more air into them so they could burn more fuel without melting the pistons.  Hot rodders saw a way to repurpose those blowers on gas engines.  They were decently suited to the low RPM gas engines of day.  You couldn't do that swap today without changing all the bearings, etc., so if you happen across an original 6-71 from a Diesel I'd let it sit on the swap meet table, but back in the day...

10/18/2021 7:10 PM  #19

TKOPerformance wrote:

I had a 52 Hudson back in the day. Duel carb 308 in line 6 with 3 speed stick and overdrive. Literally a bullet prof engine. I always dreamed of putting it in a lighter body. The Hornet body was pretty hefty.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/19/2021 4:50 AM  #20

BillyC wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I had a 52 Hudson back in the day. Duel carb 308 in line 6 with 3 speed stick and overdrive. Literally a bullet prof engine. I always dreamed of putting it in a lighter body. The Hornet body was pretty hefty.

I remember reading about how over engineered the body was on them.  Advanced design though, with the step down floor that got the body much lower to the ground than other cars of the era.  If I remember right they also had an issue with breaking axles in racing, which may have been improved with a lighter body.  Smokey Yunick talked about it in his book.  He said the big issue is that the tire would get trapped inside the wheelwell because of the cover and just beat stuff to death. 

10/19/2021 10:25 AM  #21

I believe I was the one with the underpowered 6 comment.  I’ve owned my Mustang for 40 years and I wouldn’t trade it for anything except maybe a GT 350. I compare it to my other Mustang which I’ve owned for 24 years, a 1992 coupe 5.0.  In the 80’s I was practically on a first name basis with a guy at Clifford Research. Cam, headers, port divider, head studs, etc.  Allllllllmost  bought a tri-carb Offy setup but books for college were expensive.  Eventually put in a 250 from a ‘73 Maverick. 

Anyone remember Performance Automotive Wholesale, PAW? I picked up a crank and forged piston kit from them in the mid 90’s which still turn flawlessly in my car. When I got to the counter with my order info the guy walks to the back and yells “Stretch is here!”  I thought “Stretch? Really?”  They must not sell too many I6 parts if mine was a novelty like that. I still get a kick out of it.  Did you know the 250 uses 390 lifters? Maybe all the I6’s do? IDK.  I was handed a pack of 390 lifters with four taken out. I always wondered what they did with those spare lifters since people don’t usually buy them singly.

An 1990’s article in some mag showed how to mill off the carb riser, open up the manifold hole, and put on a 2100 two barrel and that’s exactly what I did. Works OK. Last I read the master of that modification resided in Fresno, CA. Right in my back yard. Not a cheap mod if you pay to have it done correctly. Mine wasn’t really done correctly.

There’s a Mustang 6 cyl Farcebook page I belong to.  Too many modern V6 posts for me to weed through.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/19/2021 2:55 PM  #22

40 years is a long time to own a car. I'm coming up to 20 years with mine and I feel they just become a part of you after that many years.
When I was a kid, I remember reading a 1970's Hotrod (I think it was Hotrod) magazine and they did an article on hotroding a 6 cylinder Maverick. They milled the cast iron head and intake manifold and put on two or three carburettors.
I'm not a big fan of putting modern engines in the old classics, so for me... I would definitely get one of those shiny new alloy 2V heads and maximise what I could with what I had.

10/19/2021 5:48 PM  #23

Muzz 66 wrote:

An 1990’s article in some mag showed how to mill off the carb riser, open up the manifold hole, and put on a 2100 two barrel and that’s exactly what I did. Works OK. Last I read the master of that modification resided in Fresno, CA. Right in my back yard. Not a cheap mod if you pay to have it done correctly. Mine wasn’t really done correctly.

Hey Muzz,
I grew up (at least as much as I could) in Fresno and now live down in Bako. Do you know the guy's name in Fresno who did the mod, or how to get a hold of him?I've got a 250ci I'm dying to do something with.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/19/2021 5:55 PM  #24

Bearing Bob wrote:

Muzz 66 wrote:

Hey Muzz,
I grew up (at least as much as I could) in Fresno and now live down in Bako. Do you know the guy's name in Fresno who did the mod, or how to get a hold of him?I've got a 250ci I'm dying to do something with.

BB - 
I remember an article in Hot Rod a long time go about hot rodding the I6.  It showed milling off the carb to put a 2100 on and also milling off the whole intake log to install something else like Webers.  It had to be in the late 6's or early 70's.  Good luck searching that out.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/19/2021 6:07 PM  #25

Bearing Bob wrote:

Hey Muzz,

I’ll have to look around.  I’m sure I found that info on one of the Six forums. I started weighing my options on a better modified head for the 250 or aluminum heads for the LX.  Having two Mustangs is like serving two masters or having two wives…something is going to be neglected.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.