FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2021 8:59 PM  #1

Pneumatic air tool / paint air question on air brake dryer

Air dryer for Pneumatic air. I recently purchased a jenny 2 stage JU pump 175psi 11hp air compressor. Continuous duty rated at 17.8 at 175psi. I would like to add a few upgrades to it and really make it nice its a wheelbarrow compressor so tank size is lacking as this model has two 4 gal tanks. I plan on adding a transmission cooler to the output air of my compressor. nothing new their quite a few people have used them.  I plan on using a Hayden 1290 transmission cooler. Along with a single 2000cfm 120watt 12v cooling fanAUTOSAVER88 16" Radiator Cooling Fan Electric Mounting Kit 12V for Motorcycle Bike 2000 CFM(Diameter 16.73" Depth 3.26") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074FTZTNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_141N3F02E8NSQ423RA6H 16".
Hayden Automotive 1290 Heavy Duty Oil Cooler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE6UNK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_A3QRJWB986TZZP3RG0R8 in hopes of purification of the compressor air I have also purchased a Air-options filter. Install once supposed to never have to change it. Also shelled out for the electric auto drain. I also want to go a step further this is where I have a question. Maybe im stupid for asking buy hey dont really wanna mess things up. I want to add a air dryer for my long wavy locks of hair. Lol no no I mean my compressor air. I though ive seen products on the market for dryair resivours that have a built in dryer. They seem very over priced. I was thinking though they look like they use a automotive replacement style air brake dessicant oil and oil vapor filter. So why not use a Air dryer built for A big Truck? I ask because they seem to be a fraction of the cost of a dessicant pneumatic air compressor specifically meant for air tools.

Last edited by True74yamaha (Today 7:12 PM)

11/09/2021 9:10 PM  #2

Re: Pneumatic air tool / paint air question on air brake dryer

Related question. I was thinking about using a 120v to 12v power supply to power the electric fan I found a 300watt 20.8amp power supply would this power supply also be ample enough to supply enough juice to power an electric start on a 11hp honda engine? I purchased a 1200watt norco booster which I know will start the air compressor. Itd just be bice to have another way to start the pig if my booster is dead. I was thinking the booster would then be a multi purpose as it could power my fan oh my Dry and hopefully could power my electric start.

Last edited by True74yamaha (11/09/2021 9:11 PM)

11/10/2021 5:38 AM  #3

You would be a lot better off putting a battery on to start the compressor. 20 amps is no where near enough to run a starter. 
Might be enough to run a fan, depending on what you put on it. 

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/10/2021 7:05 AM  #4

I took an old window a/c unit made it into a dryer for the sand blast cabinet and painting

11/10/2021 12:42 PM  #5

red351 wrote:

I took an old window a/c unit made it into a dryer for the sand blast cabinet and painting

Sounds very interesting interesting so basically made a refrigerating dryer in a sense?

11/10/2021 12:46 PM  #6

Do you guys think the oil coalcilating air brake dryer would be a good idea? Oil and oil vapor was my next things to try and keep at bay so for that peace of mind. I hope my purchase at Air-options.com was a good idea in hopes of keeping water 💧 out of my lines.

11/28/2021 11:58 AM  #7

I wanted more air capacity for my air compressor. I recently scored a deal on a 30 gallon horizontal air tank for 50$ Now Im going to swap my quincy two stage pump and Honda 11hp engine over to the 30 gallon tank. Im also looking to buy another 30 or bigger air receiver tank so I have my main compressor which is referred to as a wet tank. Then with the new receiver I will have a new dry compressed air tank. I have purchased a Air-options.com industrial water trap with a electric drain. Seems like a nice piece and its made in Texas. I always prefer to buy everything I can thats made in the USA. I have an ole broken ridgid air compressor that I cut into pieces. I now have a 2.5gal air tank that I want to make into a dessicant air filter. I plan on welding two 2" npt pipe bungs one on the top one on the bottom for easy fill and empty. Then weld in two bungs so I can screw in two sight glasses to keep an eye on the silica Gel. Then weld another two bungs for my air inlet and air outlet. For the air outlet I plan on welding in a screen so that the dessicant gel doesnt blow into my air lines. Oh and one last bung for the drain port with a screen added to it so it wont let the dessicant out either. Ive ran across a few post from forums that others have done this with 2" pipe some tee fittings air quick connectors and glass view sights. I also plan on buying a 2 in1 particulate and coalescing filter as well to ensure clean compressed air for when I use my new compressor for sand blasting and for painting my car. Anyone here suggest adding a water trap on to the sand blaster as well to help aid in the hopes for no clogging.

11/28/2021 12:03 PM  #8

I plan on building the air tank to have the inlet on side and the out let on the top like the second photo but it will look similar to the first picture plus the addition of fused glass sights added one close to the top and the other near the bottom. That way Ill be able to better tell when I need to pour the dessicant gel out and reactivate it with a oven and my girlfriends cookie sheets.

11/28/2021 12:30 PM  #9

When I made my sand blaster I put  an additional pressure regulator and a water/oil separator on it.
On the photo below it's behind the front right leg.
 I never got around to putting on a dessicant air drier but I have the same type of water/oil  traps on a couple of the air outlets in the shop along with mid flow lubricators on outlets dedicated for pnumatic tools.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/28/2021 1:34 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

When I made my sand blaster I put  an additional pressure regulator and a water/oil separator on it.
 I never got around to putting on a dessicant air drier but I have the same type of water/oil  traps on a couple of the air outlets in the shop along with mid flow lubricators on outlets dedicated for pnumatic tools.

Thanks Rudi. Man the underneath of that sandblaster is so clean. Restoration Shop I worked at was never that clean underneath untill we decided to keep the old blast cabinet for red garnet and use the new scat blast cabinet with Silicone carbide 80 mesh. Im sure im probably being overly cautious of my air with wanting a water trap and a pre filter that doubles as a coalescing filter. Im debating on brands for the pre filter. I was debating buying a tsunami activated carbon filter plus their coalescing filter. Now after checking around im liking the compressed air USA 2 in 1 filter that works as a pre filter and a coalescing plus it is a little nicer than the tsunami brand as it also included a built in differential pressure gauge to be able to see when the filter needs to be changed. These go for 150-200 still cheaper than the tsunami brand st 300 for just a coalescing filter.

11/28/2021 2:51 PM  #11

Dang Rudi, you need to host a Bash.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/28/2021 3:00 PM  #12

Wish I could Bob, unfortunately I don’t  meet the criteria.😩

11/28/2021 3:14 PM  #13

True74yamaha wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Thanks Rudi. Man the underneath of that sandblaster is so clean. Restoration Shop I worked at was never that clean underneath untill we decided to keep the old blast cabinet for red garnet and use the new scat blast cabinet with Silicone carbide 80 mesh. Im sure im probably being overly cautious of my air with wanting a water trap and a pre filter that doubles as a coalescing filter. Im debating on brands for the pre filter. I was debating buying a tsunami activated carbon filter plus their coalescing filter. Now after checking around im liking the compressed air USA 2 in 1 filter that works as a pre filter and a coalescing plus it is a little nicer than the tsunami brand as it also included a built in differential pressure gauge to be able to see when the filter needs to be changed. These go for 150-200 still cheaper than the tsunami brand st 300 for just a coalescing filter.

My filtration system works quite well, It’s a lot better since I put a vortex dust separating set up on the vacuum.
I made  a fresh air intake filter from a big coffee can that it’s on top and I have a vertical plenum inside the unit that is filled with some of that random fibre furnace filter material . The shop vacuum connection is at the top of the plenum.
Sorry I have no pictures of that but if you would like to see some I go up where it is stored and take them.

11/28/2021 4:13 PM  #14

This is interesting, I've never seen anyone using an oil cooler. I have been planning on using https://www.harborfreight.com/compressed-air-dryer-40211.html  For a refrigerated air dryer its pretty cheap at $450, but it only has 1/2 NPT in and out, and 21 CFM. Of course there is the issue of good ol' Harbor Freight reliability.
The Haden oil cooler has 3/4 NPT. Any idea how much pressure they can handle?
Just doing the math, the oil cooler/fan/power supply would be maybe $140 cheaper. Hmmm.

Last edited by Mach1Driver (11/28/2021 4:16 PM)

11/28/2021 5:08 PM  #15

Just curious…
I have used my beadblaster for a long time with no filtration and a water overflowing water separator (so lots of moisture).  I have never experienced any ill results.  Maybe I am just blasting/cleaning stuff and you are trying to achieve some different level of cleanliness for some reason?  Maybe your humidity levels are out of this world?  (Typically 80% RH where I live)

Inquiring minds gotta know

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/28/2021 5:54 PM  #16

Mine runs off air run through a HF oil/water separator.  I also don't typically have issues with it due to moisture.  Occasionally it will blast some moisture at the part I'm blasting, but if I drain the separator 1-3 times while using it this becomes a non issue. 

I do think line length can play a part in moisture in the air to the cabinet.  The longer the line the more area there is for condensation. 

11/28/2021 6:37 PM  #17

MS wrote:

Just curious…
I have used my beadblaster for a long time with no filtration and a water overflowing water separator (so lots of moisture).  I have never experienced any ill results.  Maybe I am just blasting/cleaning stuff and you are trying to achieve some different level of cleanliness for some reason?  Maybe your humidity levels are out of this world?  (Typically 80% RH where I live)

Steve, I live in a high humidity location as well, my home is situated centrally between two of the largest freshwater lakes in North America.
My first compressor, home made,  never had any water separating components. I painted quite a few cars as well as a couple of airplanes mostly with lacquer based paints with it.
I had to schedule paint days according to low RH  days to prevent the paint and aviation dope from “blushing”
At the last air outlet a simple drop pipe with a pet cock for draining will capture quite a bit of water. When I worked at JD, every air outlet in the shop had drop pipes mostly to keep moisture out of air tools.
My guess is that every installation is different and will present its own requirements.

11/28/2021 8:51 PM  #18

Rudi wrote:

MS wrote:

Just curious…

Steve, I live in a high humidity location as well, my home is situated centrally between two of the largest freshwater lakes in North America.
My first compressor, home made,  never had any water separating components. I painted quite a few cars as well as a couple of airplanes mostly with lacquer based paints with it.
I had to schedule paint days according to low RH  days to prevent the paint and aviation dope from “blushing”
At the last air outlet a simple drop pipe with a pet cock for draining will capture quite a bit of water. When I worked at JD, every air outlet in the shop had drop pipes mostly to keep moisture out of air tools.
My guess is that every installation is different and will present its own requirements.

Filtration wise with my compressor I want to try and eliminate all potential water. I had a bad experience last time with my previous efforts at just stripping my car and painting it  that was 17yrs ago.  So far from what ive  read in doing my research for best clean compressor  air for hvlp painting and air tools wth air oilers at designated outlets. The air must go through some sort of cooling process before the dessicant gel will perform at its peak level performance. Next the air would still need to be filtered for air aerosols, oil, oil vapor contaminants. Ive also read that its best to have a pre filter which filters particulates. This works best before the coalescing which helps in removing Oil and oil vapor. The compressed air USA unit looks like an okay unit gets decent reviews and states it works as a dual pre filter and coalescing.

11/28/2021 10:46 PM  #19

Mach1Driver wrote:

This is interesting, I've never seen anyone using an oil cooler. I have been planning on using https://www.harborfreight.com/compressed-air-dryer-40211.html  For a refrigerated air dryer its pretty cheap at $450, but it only has 1/2 NPT in and out, and 21 CFM. Of course there is the issue of good ol' Harbor Freight reliability.
The Haden oil cooler has 3/4 NPT. Any idea how much pressure they can handle?
Just doing the math, the oil cooler/fan/power supply would be maybe $140 cheaper. Hmmm.

I've seen the Hayden 1290 stated to handle 150psi but reviews show it can handle pressures of at least 175psi. The harbor freight unit is pretty nice it has a nice size water trap and a oil separator sort of like this SMC AFD20-N02C-CZ Mist Separator, Removes Oil Mist, Polycarbonate Bowl with Bowl Guard, Float Auto Drain (N.C.), 0.01 Micron, 5 scfm, 1/4" NPT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078SF7VE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_i_2BA5MZ4ZABP01HNQRCR2

I also like the 1290 because it's a bigger unit and there's white a few high cfm low dollar fans out there that should cool the intake air very well. I've seen some review show over 130 to 150 degree drop in air temperature.

Last edited by True74yamaha (11/28/2021 10:50 PM)

11/28/2021 10:59 PM  #20

ok google flip a coin this is the air water filtration system I purchased from air-options.com based in Texas. I'm planning on running the air water trap before the new Hayden 1290 so that it catches majority of the water prior from going through the air drying process.

Last edited by True74yamaha (11/28/2021 11:01 PM)

11/28/2021 11:04 PM  #21

Rudi wrote:

You made your entire blast cabinet I'm very interested on some more photos of that's okay. I love a blast cabinet I may some day get to the point where will buy one unless I come along a deal or something. I would be up to building a cabinet or the harbor freight large unit either the old red model or the newer model that looks similar to a scat blast model. https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-with-dual-doors-60738.html 

I'd definitely shell out the extra for the reclaimer

https://www.harborfreight.com/blast-cabinet-reclaimer-kit-60739.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Looking around though a scat blast model is USA made and about the same price as the white harbor freight model. Right now though I'm looking more into this

Last edited by True74yamaha (11/28/2021 11:43 PM)

11/29/2021 9:07 AM  #22

I have a big Harbor Freight blast cabinet I got for less than $300 on sale.  They usually go on sale around this time of year.  Generally its a pretty good cabinet.  I sealed everything with some silicone for added dust elimination.  I used a shop vac with a filter and drywall bag for years as a dust collector.  It worked quite well, but I eventually bought a real dust collector.  The gun will also eventually erode internally and replacement parts are not standard and HF changes the gun they use so frequently that replacement parts are likely going to be NLA.  I purchased a real gun with commonly available replacement parts years later.  I also went to a foot control, MUCH better than a trigger style gun for long blasting sessions.  Commonly available glass protectors will work for it.  I eventually replaced the plexiglass window with real glass, as it doesn't craze from cleaners and is generally tougher.  However, I probably have a decent chunk of change tied up in it now, but I was able to use it as it was for probably a decade, and then up[grade it bit by bit to cushion the cost blow.  Oh, the light switch will fail since its not sealed.  My advice is either seal it, or bypass it so the light is on all the time and then put a 110V switch and an outlet on the side of the unit in a metal 2 gang box.  This allows me to flip a switch and have light and dust collector running, then flip both off again when I'm done. 

11/29/2021 10:08 AM  #23

I did do a lot of sand blasting for years and never had a real problem with our 90% plus summer moist. As far as painting I must use dessicant beads which is real pain because they must be oven dried. 
My final solution instead was to replace the beads with a roll of toilet paper. It fit in the can nicely and it worked great as a moisture/oil soaker upper. 

11/29/2021 12:13 PM  #24

I totally understand filtering for PAINTING, but why the concern for blasting?  Heck, I used to design compressed air systems for airplane factories…. We pulled out a heck of alot of moisture, and probably lost more pressure from leakage in a day than my 5hp compressor can pump in a year

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/29/2021 1:49 PM  #25

True74Yamaha, here are pictures you asked for.

The unit is about 4' x 2' and  2.5' high.
The frame is made from 1"x1"x .125" sq tubing clad with galvanised sheet.

The window is auto safety glass with very fine mesh screen on the inside rarther than replacable plastic  sheet. All of the inside seams are caulked with RTV and the door has foam weatherstrip around its perimiter with a couple of cabinet latches.
For illumination a  500watt halogen lighton top does the trick. I also put in a  separate  air nozzle  to blow off the parts after blasting.
The small hopper with a drain makes media change easier although lately I use mostly glass beads.
Hope the picture answer your questions.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/777izwMl.jpg[/img]

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.