FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2021 4:33 PM  #1

Off Topic- Any Econoline / straight 6 gurus? Buddy just got a 69’

A buddy of mine just got a 69’ Econoline that has been sitting for a couple decades.  Trying to decode the plate.  It has a 240 or a 300 in it (can’t tell) and is propane powered.

Just doing an initial look at everything trying to decide on power train and build for it.
Any cool 240 or 300 builds out there? 

11/12/2021 6:20 PM  #2

Re: Off Topic- Any Econoline / straight 6 gurus? Buddy just got a 69’

Sorry can't decode the tag but drove one of those back in high school. It was a 240. Old Bell telephone van. Glad that thing couldn't talk, at least back then. Would love to have another.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/12/2021 6:50 PM  #4

try www.fordsix.com, look at their 240\300 section. i follow the 200 section for my 6cyl engine

11/13/2021 9:37 AM  #5

Thanks guys for the links, Quicksilver messaged me with a specific decoder for the 2nd Gen vans.  Now we know it has a 240” engine in it.

If anyone has any 240/300 performance parts collecting dust please message me.  Looking like I will go to the local pick-n-pull to get the newer style 3 & 3 style exhaust manifold, but will be looking for an intake and cam for it.

11/13/2021 10:43 AM  #6

No hands-on experience with "souped-up-six-stuff" but the H.A.M.B. has lotsa info!
Standard hop-up stuff should apply..........induction/exhaust first
                                                                  ignition next
                                                                  compression/heads/cam next
Then work on ways to get the added power to the ground....and stop it!!

'If it were me'.....I'd get a tape measure busy
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2021 10:57 AM  #7

Dad purchased a 69 1-ton econoline that had a 302 and C4; a gutless wonder but I loved that van. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

11/13/2021 11:02 AM  #8

My thoughts would be find a 4.9 (EFI version of the 300).  That engine was a MONSTER.  You probably wouldn't even need to do anything to it performance wise.  If you wanted more power my thoughts would be save money on the NA parts and just bolt a turbo onto it.  Its got enough bottom end that you could size the turbo to help mostly in the mid/upper RPM range where it needs help.  Then you could call it an Econofine (I want credit if you use that). 

11/13/2021 11:19 AM  #9

https://youtu.be/KTmlijApihk

A fine example of 300 inline sic cylinder!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2021 11:36 AM  #10

My wife’s 79 F150 4x4 has 300/ 4 speed/ Offenhauser 4 barrel intake/ Holley Off road Avenger/ stock exhaust manifold with 3” exhaust out the back (increased down near bell housing).

That’s how it was purchased.  Don’t have specs on camshaft…I’m guessing it is still stock truck cam.
Still haven’t checked what gear ratio’s.
It has plenty of torque.

Doesn’t really need the off road carb for our purposes.
It’s fun as is.

I would suggest a 90’s Efi 300 (4.9L), should be plenty around from engine swaps or old work/farm  trucks.

I think non T5 5 speeds were also available behind these engines.  Have no idea about size of them though.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/13/2021 11:42 AM)

11/13/2021 12:36 PM  #11

Bentworker wrote:

Looking like I will go to the local pick-n-pull to get the newer style 3 & 3 style exhaust manifold, but will be looking for an intake and cam for it.

Do not the Ford small sixes (up to the 250) have the intake manifold cast with the head? The 300 six is a different motor.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/13/2021 1:30 PM  #12

Looks like the 240/300!shared same architecture.

https://www.enginefacts.com/ford240/

Learned some thing new.

The early 300’s had single log exhaust. And single log intake.

Later model 300’s had x2 exhaust manifolds (x3 + x3).
Saw this on a efi 4.9L (300) in a 92 truck a couple of years ago.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.