FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2021 9:57 AM  #1

Saginaw Gen II TC power steering hookup

Thanks for all the suggestions on connecting this Saginaw pump.  I finally received the 6-AN fittings from Summit and gave it a try with my tubing bender. Looks like it should barely clear the fan on the alternator.  I am not 100% liking the routing, but it will work.  I will add a bracket bolted to the back of the pump as a stabilizer for the output end, and will do the final flare and orientation of the output once it is in the car with the Borgeson hoses in place.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/10/2021 9:59 AM  #2

Re: Saginaw Gen II TC power steering hookup

Saved $94 by doing it this way!

12/10/2021 10:22 AM  #3

That looks good!  I might try that with mine too!  

12/10/2021 10:51 AM  #4

How embarrassing,  that new line looks out of place and needs to be polished to match the other engine accessories....

12/10/2021 11:31 AM  #5

Would routing the line parallel to the belt initially and wrapping back around the reservoir cap be better and offer more clearance?  Just thinking out loud.

12/10/2021 11:40 AM  #6

Isn’t there an oil pressure sender that isn’t as huge as the one Ford uses. I never liked those things.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/10/2021 1:21 PM  #7

Rudi wrote:

Isn’t there an oil pressure sender that isn’t as huge as the one Ford uses. I never liked those things.

Sure, but not sure if they would work with a Ford gauge. GM ones by and large were smaller. 

12/10/2021 2:09 PM  #8

josh-kebob wrote:

How embarrassing,  that new line looks out of place and needs to be polished to match the other engine accessories....

Funny you should mention that. It got cleaned up right after I took the pics

12/10/2021 2:12 PM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

Would routing the line parallel to the belt initially and wrapping back around the reservoir cap be better and offer more clearance?  Just thinking out loud.

The routing used is the only available space to make it work.  Very tight space.

12/11/2021 8:45 AM  #10

MS wrote:

Funny you should mention that. It got cleaned up right after I took the pics

Glad you mention that, you had me worried for a while...

12/11/2021 4:11 PM  #11

MS - Very nicely done.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/11/2021 9:21 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Sure, but not sure if they would work with a Ford gauge. GM ones by and large were smaller. 

This is what Ford used on the 1997 F250 351w.
It screwed directly into block, no extension.

There is another style with a water resistant connector as well, I think that one is for the idiot light.
Look at 2000 Explorer’s as well. Looks like both options as well…gauge and light.

There’s a special socket that is used or a large deep well socket….don’t recall the size.

Last edited by Nos681 (12/11/2021 9:35 PM)

12/11/2021 9:35 PM  #13

Was thinking I had a power steering  pump on my Nova that had a reservoir that was remote and gave a little more room kept it further from the engine heat , And on another car I had a small pump all the fittings were on the bottom seems like it was for a 1975 Silverado. And a  67 Camaro powersteering pump was small too.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (12/11/2021 9:42 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/12/2021 2:20 AM  #14

Have you thought about possibly using one of the polished aluminium aftermarket reservoirs, like the one Speedway sells? 

Those krc pumps are just GM geration 2 pumps.  There are probably a lot of tank options and remote reservoir options if one was to search the parts catalogs.  Surely a configuration that would yield much more room.

Or there is a banjo type configuration similar to what you made.  It looks as if it would fit under the polished obstruction.  If you could find a banjo type hard line, that'd be slick!

https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-power-steering-pump-hardline-kit-for-type-ii-pumps-with-integral-reservoir-1967-1981-33-257429-1.html

Last edited by Greg B (12/12/2021 2:38 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/12/2021 3:11 PM  #15

I think I will ultimately buy one of the premade banjo fitting lines. The one I made will do the job but the reality is I cannot get an 11/16” wrench on that tube nut without removing the fan belt. Can’t remove the fan belt without pulling the alternator pulley.   Access to the banjo bolt would be alot better.

Sometimes I just have to admit someone with better tools can make better parts than I can, and go with the flow.

12/12/2021 5:17 PM  #16

Is there room to snake a hose up through there on the side?   

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=12571

That part I previously linked is 12570 on danchuk

I'm kind of searching in my spare time to see if GM makes a stock hose that had a banjo fitting on that end.  You never know...

I did find a Hundai hose that has a 16mm banjo fitting to an inverted flare but its over 300 dollars!   

Last edited by Greg B (12/12/2021 5:59 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/12/2021 5:49 PM  #17

Greg B wrote:

Is there room to snake a hose up through there on the side?   

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=12571

I'm kind of searching in my spare time to see if GM makes a stock hose that had a banjo fitting on that end.  You never know...

No
No room except for steel tube.  Alternator sits too close.  I could have used a remote reservoir, but that just makes for more clutter and hose connections.

12/13/2021 9:00 AM  #18

Will the KRC aluminum tank bolt on?
That might be another option.

And you could polish it to match.

12/13/2021 11:21 AM  #19

I haven't really found any factory style hoses with a 16mm banjo fitting that has a line long enough to be bent similar to the premade line with the an fitting.   One thing I did find interesting, not that I would try it myself, but if a person really wanted to be slick with custom work, many companies sell banjo fittings of various sizes that has an end that can be put on to a 5/16 line bent in any way you would desire.  Of course, it would have to be brazed, because silver solder would not make a strong enough joint in that high pressure situation, but you could make your custom line with the banjo fitting on the end instead of buying it premade!   Plus all the fuel line possibilities.   At least I learned some new material sources out of this.

Edit:  like this.  This is when it really paid dividends to work in an auto parts store, where you could get your hands directly on items like this to see if it could be reshaped to work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mazda-Miata-99-05-Power-Steering-Pressure-Line-Hose-Assembly-Tube-To-Rack/283512473766?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20201210111314&meid=4ec4cd83f71a4fdab5e18e12656c2ff3&pid=101195&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=224580786334&itm=283512473766&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv9PairwiseWebMskuAspectsV202110NoVariantSeed&brand=Gates&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum:2835124737664ec4cd83f71a4fdab5e18e12656c2ff3%7Cenc: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%7CampidL_CLK%7Cclp:2047675&epid=115337626&pageci=aff63c42-d653-4be6-bcc4-4f0f8b3ccdb6&redirect=mobile

Last edited by Greg B (12/13/2021 12:00 PM)

12/13/2021 4:55 PM  #20

Greg that is an excellent suggestion.
But, one issue I have is there needs to be a bend close to the banjo and my tube bender cannot get that close. Plus, it needs the correct bolt.  Rather than spend another $25 for that one plus the $16 I already spent on AN-6 tube nuts, plus the tubing I already used up, plus have to buy a special bolt, I should have just spent the $94 and been done with it.

The tube I made will work fine if I want to remove the alternator pulley and the belt and the fan so I can get a wrench on it. However, I am trying to design everything on this car for ease of maintenance, and all of that extra effort does not check that box.

12/14/2021 3:09 PM  #21

Sounds like you have another custom wrench to make.

12/14/2021 3:36 PM  #22

MS wrote:

Greg that is an excellent suggestion.
But, one issue I have is there needs to be a bend close to the banjo and my tube bender cannot get that close. Plus, it needs the correct bolt. Rather than spend another $25 for that one plus the $16 I already spent on AN-6 tube nuts, plus the tubing I already used up, plus have to buy a special bolt, I should have just spent the $94 and been done with it.

The tube I made will work fine if I want to remove the alternator pulley and the belt and the fan so I can get a wrench on it. However, I am trying to design everything on this car for ease of maintenance, and all of that extra effort does not check that box.

Its funny sometime what we end up spending to avoid spending money isn't it? 

12/16/2021 11:36 AM  #23

That's my philosophy..... Spend a dollar to save a dime.

12/16/2021 12:24 PM  #24

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

I knew a guy that would drive to the next town, 15 miles away, to save a few cents a gallon on gasoline.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/16/2021 12:30 PM  #25

Rudi wrote:

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

I knew a guy that would drive to the next town, 15 miles away, to save a few cents a gallon on gasoline.

Do you still do that Rudi? 😁

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.