FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2021 5:20 AM  #1

crate engine

working on 65 coupe i have no motor or trans thinking going with aod swap on that end but would like some thoughts from anyone who has bought a 302 crate engine some where around 300 to 375 hp.  any specs where did you buy.  i see them all over the place on the web but would like any some thoughts before i make purchase.

thanks

12/13/2021 11:24 AM  #2

Re: crate engine

I have not bought a crate engine, but my recommendation is to buy one from a known source.  You don't want to be stuck with something that wasn't built correctly. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/13/2021 11:25 AM  #3

MustangSteve could build you a engine I bet.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/13/2021 11:28 AM  #4

1. Keith Craft
2. Keith Craft
3. Keith Craft 
That's my top three
Pretty tough crowd on this forum, so...humbly, I would submit that "300 to 375 hp" is a pretty wide range and a fifteen hundred-dollar difference. (Wanna see really crazy money?--look at the difference between 295 hp and 395 hp.)
um...MAYBE narrow the hp range just a bit. You are everything between a junk yard pick-n-pull--a cleanroom blueprint--and a MustangSteve retirement "Canyon Lake Special". 

Someoneisgonnahijackthisthreadandstart"dissertationresearch"about'rollervs.non-roller'and'aluminumvs.iron'. Hopefully not...but here we go...

12/13/2021 12:08 PM  #5

Another viable option would be find a local machine shop and talk to them about doing a build.  That way if ever there is an issue the place that built it is close by.  No trying to diagnose it over the phone, or the chance of having to pull it yourself and send it back, etc.

I agree on the HP goal.  You need a clear goal with any project.  You also need to consider whether or not ancillary stuff is going to be adequate for more power (trans, cooling system, etc.).  Don't forget exhaust if you need new exhaust after the swap.  If you are going to a 5.0 you need to consider which timing cover/water pump you are going to use which considers what accessory drive style (v-belt or serpentine) you are going to use. 

12/13/2021 5:13 PM  #6

1/2 the fun is........build it yourself!
Can't be that hard because...I successfully did it!
Gotta lotta knowledge on here....if a problem comes up.
I think about Gaba......NEVER been inside a T-5 tranny......rebuilt it...Never built a hi-po engine...built it.
He's a very smart guy butt.....very young....very brave.
He had a few problems butt.... the guys on here helped him solve it.
IF you don't have a place to do it then.....that's another story.
Is it 'cheaper' to buy a crate motor....prolly.
Can you get one without 'compromising' on a few things...doubt it.
Jus say'in!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/13/2021 5:27 PM  #7

The thought of installing a crate motor built by unknown hands with cheap parts terrifies me.  I realize not everyone has the experience I have, but the first one you build can be done right if you just pay attention to details and ask questions before making any moves. We are here and eager to help.

And, like I always say… “ I didn’t learn all this stuff by doing it right the first time”
Screwing up is part of the hot rodder experience. You want to let some rookie in a crate engine factory get all the good experience?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/13/2021 11:55 PM  #8

I'm not making a recommendation here.  Just sharing a video tour of Blueprint that I found interesting:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/14/2021 8:58 AM  #9

There is NO aspect of automobile rebuilding that can't be accomplished correctly by anyone with a strong desire, a modicum of mechanical aptitude, and the proper tools.  And if you don't have the proper tools...like boring bar, dynamic balancing machine, valve grinding tools, etc.  that's were you hire the work, and don't cheap-out on the machining.  Don't ask how I know this.  Bare minimum:  Bore; deck; align hone; balance; heads rebuilt; rods rebuilt; crank turned (if necessary), and buy good parts...not necessarily the most expensive...taking into consideration how the engine will be used.
As far as assemble goes, it all just a process of steps done in a proper order.  You'll likely end up with a bit more $$ in it than some "crate" engines can be had for but you will also likely end up with a far superior product that will give years of reliable service....and, you did it yourownself.
Find a good, reputable shop and have the machine work done.  Then you study up and do the assembly.  There is nothing like the feeling you get from that first start on a engine you built.

Oh, Mike, Gaba's first transmission was an AOD as far as I know.  I loaned him the tools and the book.  

BB1 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/14/2021 10:53 AM  #10

I've been looking at Ford 331 Stroker Crate Engine | 331 Stroker Crate Engine (tristarengines.com) for awhile now.  Been debating on doing one myself too.  My son graduated from college last weekend so he is going to bring is 68 project home.  So Ill probably be helping him with his too. So I might put my engine build or crate engine once again. 

Steve69

12/14/2021 11:03 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Oh, Mike, Gaba's first transmission was an AOD as far as I know.  I loaned him the tools and the book.  

BB1 

Well.........That's even MORE impressive!  There are (I guess) even more moving parts to an AOD than a.........."manly-man's T-5 manual 5 speed transmission"!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/14/2021 11:05 AM  #12

That blueprint factory gives me more confidence in crate engine manufacturing. That is quite an operation.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/14/2021 11:40 AM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

There is NO aspect of automobile rebuilding that can't be accomplished correctly by anyone with a strong desire, a modicum of mechanical aptitude, and the proper tools.  And if you don't have the proper tools...like boring bar, dynamic balancing machine, valve grinding tools, etc.  that's were you hire the work, and don't cheap-out on the machining.  Don't ask how I know this.  Bare minimum:  Bore; deck; align hone; balance; heads rebuilt; rods rebuilt; crank turned (if necessary), and buy good parts...not necessarily the most expensive...taking into consideration how the engine will be used.
As far as assemble goes, it all just a process of steps done in a proper order.  You'll likely end up with a bit more $$ in it than some "crate" engines can be had for but you will also likely end up with a far superior product that will give years of reliable service....and, you did it yourownself.
Find a good, reputable shop and have the machine work done.  Then you study up and do the assembly.  There is nothing like the feeling you get from that first start on a engine you built.

BB1 

Lots of common sense stated there Bob, skills can be acquired but common sense, not so much.
Measuring tools are almost a prerequisite.
I have been very lucky to have a full range of machinists tools most of my productive years. If you are not as lucky many places or friends can loan tools just as Bob has done.
Double checking diameters and verification of clearances is absolutely vital for longevity of an engine.
Lots of books out ther on rebuilding Ford engines, Tom Monroe and Garry Robotnick have excellent examples.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/14/2021 11:40 AM  #14

You've never done anything before until you do it once.  I started spinning wrenches when I was about 10.  There was always a new opportunity to learn how to do something as my dad, grandad, or neighbor were always working on something.  I thought about it the other day vis a vis natural ability, and concluded that it didn't necessarily come naturally to me, but I enjoyed it so I worked at being good at it and eventually was.  With the resources available here and elsewhere I'd never discourage someone from doing a build themselves.  That's also a viable route.  In the end, in a pushrod V8 there really aren't that many parts.  The majority of any build or rebuild is just checking fitment and clearances.  The difficult operations are going to be handled by a machine shop.  Even those of us that have lathes and milling machines don't have the machines needed to machine an engine block, crank, etc. 

12/14/2021 1:27 PM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

You've never done anything before until you do it once.  I started spinning wrenches when I was about 10.  There was always a new opportunity to learn how to do something as my dad, grandad, or neighbor were always working on something.  I thought about it the other day vis a vis natural ability, and concluded that it didn't necessarily come naturally to me, but I enjoyed it so I worked at being good at it and eventually was.  With the resources available here and elsewhere I'd never discourage someone from doing a build themselves.  That's also a viable route.  In the end, in a pushrod V8 there really aren't that many parts.  The majority of any build or rebuild is just checking fitment and clearances.  The difficult operations are going to be handled by a machine shop.  Even those of us that have lathes and milling machines don't have the machines needed to machine an engine block, crank, etc. 

Wow ten years old, you started late!
 Here is a picture of me at 3 YO trying to push a Dodge into the garage for an oil change.

Last edited by Rudi (12/14/2021 1:28 PM)

12/14/2021 2:56 PM  #16

12/14/2021 3:33 PM  #17

That's a great picture Rudi!  My youngest does stuff like that.  He'll want to go work with dad in the shop (he literally cries if I go without him), so he brings his tools and I give him an alternator or something he can work on.  If his tools weren't made of plastic I think he would have gotten the pulley off that alternator.  He had a screwdriver wedged between the fan and the case and pliers on the nut one time.  I worry he's smarter than me...

12/14/2021 6:11 PM  #18

MS wrote:

That blueprint factory gives me more confidence in crate engine manufacturing. That is quite an operation.

They went back to the Blueprint Factory 5 months ago for a followup and update:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/14/2021 6:31 PM  #19

After watching the Blueprint factory tour and then the update to the tour, if the dollars for an engine project done DIY method is similar to the dollars for a crate engine then it comes down to a question when deciding which route to take.  That being is the engine build itself a project one wants to add to the car restoration project.  Because face it, if a crate engine is available then building an engine becomes optional.  So if your time schedule has room in for the engine project and if you want to the personal reward of specing and building the engine, then by all means find the resources you need to get the engine built yourself.  However, if this is not the case then it seems a crate engine might be the way to go.

The above is assuming your budget has room for the cost of such an engine which I think would be at least $4k up to $5k as the starting point.  If your budget is no where close to these numbers, then I think you'd need to be looking into a budget build route or a second hand engine route.

Please add comments to correct anything I was saying above.

12/14/2021 7:24 PM  #20

Both choices have there merit, I have helped build a couple of my engines with a good machine shop doing the heavy work and I do the assembly. Only one had failed and that was due to a cheap cam.
On the other hand I just bought and installed a Blueprint crate 347 (415/415) in my 68 Cougar and I have been very happy with the engine and a warranty is not bad either, (hopefully never need it) Mostly due to the easy of the swap and having a limited garage space to use, since MS moved 3 hours away.

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

12/15/2021 1:05 AM  #21

Rudi's sarcasm makes me laugh.

Anyway, I guess it depends on your definition of crate. When I think crate I think of Ford Motorsport and their engines where you get a legit warranty. Otherwise you have to be careful of all the shady places out there peddling something that was built by Tater out back in the shed. 

Having said that my recommendations for "crate" go like this.

Ford Motorsport
Ford Strokers
Keith Craft

12/15/2021 8:03 AM  #22

Raymond_B wrote:

Anyway, I guess it depends on your definition of crate. When I think crate I think of Ford Motorsport and their engines where you get a legit warranty. Otherwise you have to be careful of all the shady places out there peddling something that was built by Tater out back in the shed. 

Ford Motorsport
Ford Strokers
Keith Craft

It’s all in good fun, gotta have a bit of levity between friends.

As for crate engines, if I had to,  I can’t argue that I’d feel the safest going with Ford Motors.

12/15/2021 9:16 AM  #23

Rudi wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Ford Motorsport
Ford Strokers
Keith Craft

It’s all in good fun, gotta have a bit of levity between friends.

As for crate engines, if I had to, I can’t argue that I’d feel the safest going with Ford Motors.

It would be nice if Ford Motorsport had something that was in the $6000 range with $375hp.  
They use to have a great deal 3 or 4 years back for a 306.  Then they quit that deal!  

Last edited by Steve69 (12/15/2021 9:22 AM)

12/15/2021 10:28 AM  #24

I've never seen a crate engine I could buy making the same power as one I could build.  There's always a $1,500 discrepancy at least.  They get the parts cheaper, but not that much cheaper, and they still have to get paid for their time, advertising, etc.  I'll also note that you typically get a crate engine with a handful of choices.  It may not have the best of certain parts, but its what the builder gets the best deal on and their testing is showing them to be good enough.  When I build an engine I get exactly what I want parts wise.  The difference that makes is based more on your power goals and intended use though.  At 300-350HP does it really matter?  Probably not.  You start getting into 400HP and above and the difference between say Edelbrock heads and AFR heads could be 20HP or more with no loss at lower RPM and maybe 5-10 more lbs./ft. of average torque. 

A third, yet to be discussed option would be to buy a built shortblock and source your own heads, etc.  For a street engine there's typically very little trickery in the bottom end.  The power is made with the heads, cam, intake, and exhaust.  Durability is really not a concern, as a typical 302/5.0 block will take 600HP before becoming a liability.  This is also a good in between stage if you aspire to build engines from the block up one day, but are hesitant for fear of screwing up. 

12/15/2021 10:38 AM  #25

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've never seen a crate engine I could buy making the same power as one I could build.  There's always a $1,500 discrepancy at least.  They get the parts cheaper, but not that much cheaper, and they still have to get paid for their time, advertising, etc.  I'll also note that you typically get a crate engine with a handful of choices.  It may not have the best of certain parts, but its what the builder gets the best deal on and their testing is showing them to be good enough.  When I build an engine I get exactly what I want parts wise.  The difference that makes is based more on your power goals and intended use though.  At 300-350HP does it really matter?  Probably not.  You start getting into 400HP and above and the difference between say Edelbrock heads and AFR heads could be 20HP or more with no loss at lower RPM and maybe 5-10 more lbs./ft. of average torque. 

A third, yet to be discussed option would be to buy a built shortblock and source your own heads, etc.  For a street engine there's typically very little trickery in the bottom end.  The power is made with the heads, cam, intake, and exhaust.  Durability is really not a concern, as a typical 302/5.0 block will take 600HP before becoming a liability.  This is also a good in between stage if you aspire to build engines from the block up one day, but are hesitant for fear of screwing up. 

I like that^^^^^^^^^ idee!
6s6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.