FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2022 2:44 PM  #1

Mildew problems

Car has been in garage and covered for many years. Just took a look thinking to get it up and running and was shocked to find a patina of mildew over all surfaces. I was thinking to using 1/4 cup of bleach to 2 gal of water to clean. Any better ideas? 
Thanks

1/06/2022 3:22 PM  #2

Re: Mildew problems

It happens, especially if the interior is sealed up.  Years ago a mold remediation guy told me not to use bleach.  He said it removed it temporarily, but doesn't do much to prevent it from coming back.  There's a product called Moldex and another called Mold Armor that work well, aren't too expensive, and keep it from coming back. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (1/06/2022 6:50 PM)

1/06/2022 6:10 PM  #3

I would only stress over long term solution with parts you plan to keep.  For example, perhaps new carpet is in the future or new upholstery since it is readily available currently and easy to install even with new foam.  Add door panels to the suspect list.  If any of these are going, a short term cleaning should do on these.
Remember that moisture caused the initial problem.  Make sure you identify and remedy the moisture issue before install new soft parts.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/06/2022 10:33 PM  #4

You are seeing the results of covering a car for long periods.  Mildew.  I mentioned that in Billy Waltons' thread.  Long periods of covering can cause that.  It's a bummer because covering saves the finish and keeps dust and such off the car.  I covered mine for years while it was garaged and found the interior damp when I removed the cover.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/07/2022 2:09 AM  #5

Hi Steve! How are you and Jacque doing? Hope you're doing okay with all of our snow and rain now. Stay dry!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/07/2022 9:24 AM  #6

A big problem summer and winter home. I had start leaving the car and garage windows cracked open. Long term trunk lid and hood open and no cover. I'll have to try what TKO mention because some of it still forms during humid summers.

1/07/2022 9:52 AM  #7

At work for equipment without heaters or power,  I have placed bulk desiccant in a container with holes drilled into the lids.
Most common one is blue (dry) to pink/white (wet).
When it is wet, you can dry it out in a non-metal container or paper picnic bowl/plate and dry it in microwave or oven.  I run microwave only about a minute or two in a session.  Don’t want the glass plate to get too hot…you’ve been warned…yeah I found out too.

Some desiccants are “crushed” and some are like little “balls”.
They both work, but the crushed is a little messy…think rock salt.

Rock salt also absorbs moisture.  Just leave bag open and it will absorb moisture and become a block of salt.
Hard as a rock.

Use one of your favorite Mason jars after it’s empty of course.😜

1/07/2022 1:37 PM  #8

Had to check with my wife on this one.  Her input ... Bleach will work, Fantastik is advertised as a mildrew remover, and many other products are offered in a supermarket, or Home Depot, Lowe's for mildrew removal.
I can say that I found Fabreze removed the "stale" smell in my car after sitting in the garage over the winter, and it didn't leave any "scented" odor behind.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/08/2022 10:26 AM  #9

My 66 Ranchero is in my garage uncovered because it would get mildew covered. I am on the coast of Oregon and the humidity is always high. I have a dehumidifier on 24hrs (it starts and stops during that time). Without it 75 to 95 % humidity with it 50 to 60 % humidity. 

1/08/2022 11:58 AM  #10

I tink....the really good car covers "breathe" to stop or minimize moisture build up inside the car cover. (they seem to let in dust/pollen/ small bugs and other stuff sooooo .....not much good for anything other than bicycle bumps and such)

BUTT.....if the relative "hu-dam-midity" is 60-70+% at chore house......there ain't   a-hole   lot chew can do about it. ('cept move to west Texas or summerz else)
  It's snot here or Florida..that's fer show!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/08/2022 7:05 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

I tink....the really good car covers "breathe" to stop or minimize moisture build up inside the car cover. (they seem to let in dust/pollen/ small bugs and other stuff sooooo .....not much good for anything other than bicycle bumps and such)

BUTT.....if the relative "hu-dam-midity" is 60-70+% at chore house......there ain't a-hole lot chew can do about it. ('cept move to west Texas or summerz else)
It's snot here or Florida..that's fer show!)
6sally6

Maybe one more Keystone with decipher this for me

1/08/2022 7:31 PM  #12

Good car covers breathe but let in dust and bugs so only really protect against bumps.

If the humidity is greater than 60% at your house, live with the mildew or move to west Texas or somewhere else.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.