FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2022 4:48 PM  #1

mustang door and front fender hitting

i have a friend, that has a  first generation fast back. it has been painted, and the drivers leading edge of the door is getting chipped from rubbing the drivers side fender. the car is totally assembled, i am trying to help him get the fender moved forward, we loosened the fender bolts on top of the fender and the one at the bottom. what else needs to be loosened or taken off to get the required adjustment.?

Last edited by val fulesday (1/17/2022 4:50 PM)

1/17/2022 5:18 PM  #2

Re: mustang door and front fender hitting

Open door...there's a top fender bolt above upper hindge. One behind kick panel

1/17/2022 6:41 PM  #3

so that would be two? correct? i did open the door and i looked for another bolt, behind the fender on the outside of the post, i didn't see one. when i say this car is put together, i mean bumper, splash pan, head light, every thing. does any of that need to be loosenedd or removed?

Last edited by val fulesday (1/17/2022 6:48 PM)

1/17/2022 7:23 PM  #4

val fulesday wrote:

so that would be two? correct? i did open the door and i looked for another bolt, behind the fender on the outside of the post, i didn't see one. when i say this car is put together, i mean bumper, splash pan, head light, every thing. does any of that need to be loosenedd or removed?

Yes 2....as depicted...

mingo portrayer crossword

1/17/2022 7:59 PM  #5

Remove kick panel. One bolt threads from inside the car into the side of the fender.
The other one is above the hinge.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/17/2022 8:37 PM  #6

thank you very much, this is what i need.

1/18/2022 12:36 PM  #7

If the front end sheetmetal is also installed, you may need to at least loosen the bolts for the valance, grill, headlight doors, etc., to allow the fender to move forward.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/18/2022 12:51 PM  #8

I'm guessing the other door gaps are good since you're focusing on the fender.  Perhaps verify those gaps before deciding the adjustment should not be with the door hinges.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/18/2022 7:08 PM  #9

i am glad you mentioned about other parts needing to be moved or loosened, i suspected that as well, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
there is no room to move the doors back, i would be surprised if the fender had to move more than 1/32"

1/18/2022 7:23 PM  #10

You might find a video about removing the fender interesting:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/19/2022 11:45 AM  #11

Ck. two bolts that attach the headlight assembly to the fender apron. Look in the wheel well at the back of the headlight assembly. Most of that stuff can be bent/torqued to gain a dab more space. Since the headlight is attached to the fender this COULD be an adjustment spot for you. (in addition to the other^^^ spots of adjustment.)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.