FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2022 10:58 AM  #1

lower spindle joint boot

Hello , i was greasing joints as regular maintenance but today  i found both lower spindle joint boot broken . These last really nothing and i wonder that a week end driver can broke in 5 years . 
Asking some suggestion how to do next . Can i change only the boot , or need to change also joint ? How i manage the spring ? Need to compress it so i can remove lower joint ? 
Is normal to change this boots so frequently ? 5 years don't seems a lot  to me . 
Thanks ! 

2/13/2022 4:25 PM  #2

Re: lower spindle joint boot

Just the boot can be changed

2/13/2022 4:57 PM  #3

I'm not sure where you get parts from, but the boot is available from RockAuto.
Yes, you need to restrain the coil spring, you could use a block of wood placed under the upper A-frame assembly and the frame rail underneath the A-frame.  This is put in place when the car is on the ground, and the A-frame will sit on it when the car is jacked up off the ground.  There is also a tool one could make, but the wood block is easier. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/13/2022 6:11 PM  #4

Moog has polyurethane boots, might last longer than rubber.
I have no experience with them. Mine have been on for over 15 years.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/14/2022 4:07 AM  #5

BobE wrote:

I'm not sure where you get parts from, but the boot is available from RockAuto.
Yes, you need to restrain the coil spring, you could use a block of wood placed under the upper A-frame assembly and the frame rail underneath the A-frame.  This is put in place when the car is on the ground, and the A-frame will sit on it when the car is jacked up off the ground.  There is also a tool one could make, but the wood block is easier. 

Thanks Bob , boots were already in arms when bought them new . But rubber , nothing better . I  have 4 arm lifter and a transmission lifter ... do you think i can do it with them or there is some risk of  falling when compress the spring ? 
i remember have seen an old pics of metal bar going to frame and uca . this way dont allowd the arm to lower .
This way has spring still with force in it when car rise from ground ?  i know what can do when something goes wrong with spring . safety first ,
thanks 

2/14/2022 8:14 AM  #6

There is no reason to compress the spring when removing the lower control arm. The spring and shock are attached to the UPPER ARM.  Just leave the shock bolted in place and it will contain the spring so the upper arm cannot drop down.

If doing this on a two post lift, there will be challenges. You need to have the car barely off the ground, then support the lower control arm with a jack so the strut rod and sway bar link can be removed. Taking those two off the control arm mounts will allow easier movement of the lower control arm. Just don’t lift so far that you unload the car frame from the lift. You only need enough rise to get the sway bar and strut rod loose. You MUST jack both LCA at the same time or you will be fighting the sway bar. I find it easier to just remove the sway bar links with the car sitting on its wheels before putting it on the lift.

Replacement boots will not be anything like the original boots on the lower ball joints. It is better in my opinion to just replace the entire lower arm.  Be sure to only grease them enough so you barely see movement in the boot. Lots of times they get overfilled and balooned out until they burst.  I do agree with you that some do not last very long on their own, but overfilling is a death sentence.

Bottom line: The lower control arm can be easily replaced without touching the spring, upper control arm or shock. The spindle can still be hanging from the upper ball joint or you can even replace the upper ball joint with the upper control arm still attached to the shock, held securely to the car.  The spring must only be dealt with if removing the spring perch or the upper control arm.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/14/2022 8:42 AM  #7

thank you MS , will follow tips and use jack and lifter , just off the ground and not what i was thinking with transmission lifter . Probably the fastest solution is remove and put new lca ... but thinking have only 5 years..
Thanks !!!

2/14/2022 11:19 AM  #8

MS wrote:

There is no reason to compress the spring when removing the lower control arm. The spring and shock are attached to the UPPER ARM. Just leave the shock bolted in place and it will contain the spring so the upper arm cannot drop down.

I did this exact thing in 1987 when I swapped out the lower control arms. I got the lower control arms off and my wife called me for dinner. After dinner I went out and the left front spring had exploded from underneath the car because the bottom shock mount ripped off of the shock.

Use something to hold the upper control arm.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/15/2022 9:00 AM  #9

When you have it apart, verify that the surface of the spindle/ball joint is flat and smooth.

If there are any sharp edges or deformation on the spindle, it could cut or tear the boot.

Don’t use a pickle fork to separate.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/15/2022 9:00 AM)

2/15/2022 11:00 AM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

Don’t use a pickle fork to separate.

Agree, I had always used the pickle fork, sometimes cutting the boot, sometime not.  Then, I was advised to use a hammer held on one side of spindle by the ball-joint, and another to hit the spindle on the other side.  This may take a few hits for the ball-joint to fall out, but won't result in a torn boot.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/15/2022 11:26 AM  #11

I've used these two tools with great success for ball joint removal.

The first one I made, the second is from HF.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/16/2022 11:47 AM  #12

Thanks for all tips , then , yes i got tools and removal or at least create one .
Thanks guys ! 

2/16/2022 6:01 PM  #13

I honestly believe you will not achieve the desired results if you just replace the boot with a generic one. It is not going to seal like the original which has a steel retainer around the perimeter. The generic type seals work ok on tie rods, but I would think there would be massive leakage on lower ball joints.

Let me know if it works out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.