FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2022 7:25 PM  #1

I like the low profile AC system on the 69

But my Cobra air cleaner just TOUCHES the hood when using a 3” filter element.
Has anyone ever seen a 2-1/2” element?   The 2” just looks too short…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/30/2022 8:42 PM  #2

Re: I like the low profile AC system on the 69

I have been using a 2” K&N on my 331 with 670 Holley since day one. I can’t say it is too small for any reason I can think of, even the 68 GT 500 dual quad has the same size listed.
IIRC K&N has a 2 1/4”

Last edited by Rudi (3/30/2022 8:42 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/30/2022 10:42 PM  #3

I have the 2” Cobra on my 66.. it works fine and is the tallest that will fit the engine. I just prefer the look of the taller one. I will look for a 2-1/4”. Thanks

3/31/2022 7:49 AM  #4

MS you could calculate the surface area of a round filter versus a 2" oval and compare. If there is less surface the flow will need speed up. It might be noticeable on a dyno, but I see your point, more is better.

3/31/2022 8:22 AM  #5

Flow is not a factor here. I just like the LOOK of the taller filter. My 66 actually has one smaller than 2”.  I have to get the short filter so it will clear the hood. It still feeds the 427 stroker just fine.

3/31/2022 9:18 AM  #6

Review K&N's webpage, they offer a "Search by Dimensions" feature that you can see if they offer the size you're looking for. 

https://www.knfilters.com/dimsearch

Last edited by BobE (3/31/2022 9:48 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/31/2022 9:04 PM  #7

Possibly a drop base?    Get a blank standard  base from Tony Branda and a drop base from a standard 14 inch and blend them together and fabricate one. How much more clearance do you need? 

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/31/2022 9:39 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.