FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2022 11:10 AM  #1

Electrical Issue

'67 Coupe - So, the other day I turned on my turn signal (I'm not native Texan so I do use them) and the 4-way flasher indicators on the dash came on. After checking things out I learned that the rear signals and taillights come on but the front signals, park lights and headlights do not come on. I installed a new headlight switch but no change. My next thought was the turn signal switch in the steering column. I just received a new one from Summit. Before I go through the pain of changing that switch I thought I should ask the experts. Is there anything else that could cause this issue?
Thanks for any assistance.    

4/07/2022 12:17 PM  #2

Re: Electrical Issue

More often than not bad grounds are the culprit.
Check all of them on all affected circuits.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/07/2022 1:05 PM  #3

Yup, bad grounds at the bulb sockets will cause a bulb to seek ground through an adjacent bulb which causes both to flash.  Bet I fixed fifty or more early sixty's chevys back in the day when I worked a Sears & Sawbuck.  That's about the only thing that could go sour while the car is setting.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/07/2022 1:06 PM  #4

Yea I wouldn't change the turn switch. Grounds or maybe the plug at the firewall. House is getting painted inside so right now my electrical prints are stuffed away somewhere. Not sure what plug would be front lights but someone will chime in.

Last edited by wsinsle (4/07/2022 5:00 PM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/07/2022 1:41 PM  #5

OK, good suggestions. Another question - could a bad ground result in the front signal lights, front parking lights and headlights to stop working simultaneously? Seems strange.

4/07/2022 2:34 PM  #6

Hi everybody,

As far as i remember, there was a ground connection in front of the radiator crossmember which could be the reason for all them not working. That, taken in account that the park light housings are not bolted up thight enough to ground the body because they are grounded to the bulb.

I would also check the connectors for the front harness located at the DS upper quarter panel.

Mustsed

4/07/2022 3:33 PM  #7

I’m not familiar with 67 wiring but I would imagine that it is not all that much different than the 65-66.  In the 65-66, both headlights have their own ground wire (on the inner fender) and the park/turn signals ground via the bulb connection to its socket (rear tail lights ground in the same manner).  I would think headlight/running light problem may be related to the headlight switch, and suggest checking the light switch connections.  Also, the firewall connector may be the cause, as the headlight, running, directionals all got through this connector … if the same as the 65-66 models.

Do check the ground connections, crazy things happen with bad grounds.  Also, I have seen where the turn signal switch can get contaminated with wear particles from the horn ring/button that causes shorts within the turn signal switch.  Suggest pulling the steering wheel and give a look, it will be obvious if these wear particles are present.  If present, clean it out with a small brush and a vacuum.  But note that this should have no impact on the headlights functioning. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/07/2022 3:57 PM  #8

The issue is in the firewall plug. All of those lights go through one plug that probably got knocked loose.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2022 2:17 PM  #9

Once again - I am an idiot! So, all front lights (headlights, park lights, turn signals) were inop. Rather than try for the cheapest and easiest fixes first, I decided that it had to be the headlight switch. New switch - no change. Then I decided that it had to be the turn signal switch in the steering column. New switch and much cursing - no change. Then after staring idly at the engine compartment, I found myself looking at lonely black wire hanging under the voltage regulator. Yep, a 10 cent bolt and I'm back in business.  When will I ever learn!

4/13/2022 4:21 PM  #10

I'd keep that original t-signal harness.  The repros have a fairly bad reputation. 

4/13/2022 7:23 PM  #11

Good point. Actually, I am compiling a large stock of spare parts that I have changed - that did not need changing. 

4/14/2022 7:16 AM  #12

It's always good when someone owns up to such behavior since so very few of us have ever had such an experience...........RIGHT!!   Come to the Bash and I'll tell you about my year and a half journey down the garden path of chasing a lean EFI condition.

As MS has stated, nobody ever learned anything by doing everything right the first time.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/14/2022 7:17 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/14/2022 4:13 PM  #13

Show me someone who never made a mistake I'll show you someone who never learned anything. 

4/14/2022 5:51 PM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

Show me someone who never made a mistake I'll show you someone who never learned anything. 

Or maybe never DID anything.

4/16/2022 5:21 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Or maybe never DID anything.

Also true.

4/16/2022 6:09 AM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

Let me tell you, I've learned a lot!!

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/18/2022 4:47 PM  #17

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for the moral support.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.