FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2022 2:00 PM  #1

Can anyone positively ID this carb?

Not sure what I have. It appears complete, but no markings anywhere.  Anyone recognize it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2022 2:31 PM  #2

Re: Can anyone positively ID this carb?

Ya know the first gen Mazda RX7 used a four bbl.  I cant recall exactly what it looked like but that is a bit big for a 1200 cc rotary, I think.

Nope, not Mazda....just found a video.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/26/2022 2:45 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/26/2022 2:36 PM  #3

That is why I said POSITIVELY ID…

Definitely older than the first RX-7 that hit the ground in 79

4/26/2022 2:47 PM  #4

MS wrote:

That is why I said POSITIVELY ID…

Definitely older than the first RX-7 that hit the ground in 79

Well, now I'm POSITIVE.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/26/2022 3:50 PM  #5

Looks like an Autolite 4100.  There may be some numbers/letters stamped on the side of the baseplate near a mounting hole.  The only other way to identify it would be the missing stamped metal tag on one of the front lid screws. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (4/27/2022 6:06 AM)

4/27/2022 10:30 AM  #6

I read recently that 4100 series carbs used on Ford trucks back in the day didn't contain any ID (other the tag attached to one of the top cover screws) and were slightly larger (CFM wise).  Crafty race drivers replaced the ‘standard’ 4100 with one of these, along with the original carb’s tag, and no one was the wiser. 
Maybe that’s what it is (?)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/27/2022 3:55 PM  #7

Wish I could tell what size it is.

4/30/2022 10:05 AM  #8

Look for casting numbers behind the fuel pump linkage on the side of the bowl. If it is 1.08 it is 475-500 cfm if it is 1.12 it is 600cfm.

4/30/2022 10:34 AM  #9

Does the bore size at the base have any relevance as to the flow?
Your picture shows 1 9/16.
Is the 1.08 the same dia. as the 1.12?
Maybe there is a difference in the actual Venturi size that denotes the flow?

Last edited by Rudi (4/30/2022 10:40 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/30/2022 11:19 AM  #10

The 1.08 is actually  480 cfm

4/30/2022 11:41 AM  #11

The carb id# is cast into the base plate on the left front side where the front bolt down hole is.

4/30/2022 12:26 PM  #12

xrracer wrote:

The carb id# is cast into the base plate on the left front side where the front bolt down hole is.

The OP stared  there are no markings anywhere on the carb, I don’t think Steve’s eyes are that bad that he missed any markings.

5/01/2022 9:41 AM  #13

I am aware of 1.08 and 1.12 typical markings.  This carb has no markings anywhere. That is why I posted pics of every square inch of the carb plus a scale laid across the opening.

My eyes show a reading of 1-7/16” bore size.

Does anyone have a 1.08 or 1.12 carb so they could compare the bore sizes at the base plate?

If so, please post pic with the measuring device in place.  I just prefer to see for myself rather than rely on anyone else’s interpretations of a measurement.

5/01/2022 11:06 AM  #14

MS wrote:

I am aware of 1.08 and 1.12 typical markings.  This carb has no markings anywhere. That is why I posted pics of every square inch of the carb plus a scale laid across the opening.

My eyes show a reading of 1-7/16” bore size.
I just prefer to see for myself rather than rely on anyone else’s interpretations of a measurement.

I hear ya Steve, pretty bad when a T&D maker can’t read a scale.😩

5/01/2022 1:29 PM  #15

I have one that is similar. It doesn’t have the vent tube or the hard idle thing on it that I remember. I was hoping somebody would come up with something before I had to go searching and they get out of my stash.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/01/2022 4:40 PM  #16

I had found another forum thread about truck carbs in that same 1965/66 range had no makings, just the casting remains where that straight line divides it.   To me, its really pointing to its a 1965/66 vintage fe 1.12 carb.    But you nevah know...

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.