FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2022 8:43 PM  #1

Pros and Cons on 20,18 or 16 foot car trailers and steel floor or wood

I am leaning towards 18 foot but can decide on wood or metal floor.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/25/2022 5:55 AM  #2

Re: Pros and Cons on 20,18 or 16 foot car trailers and steel floor or wood

18'....steel floor with welded in D ring tie downs...

5/25/2022 8:51 AM  #3

I had a 20 footer for years but replace it with a 28 foot so I can have a pit cart (golf cart) along too. MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer.

5/25/2022 9:49 AM  #4

What are you going to haul Billy? More info will get a knowledgeable suggestion.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/25/2022 10:53 AM  #5

It will take much longer for the metal floor to rot out!! 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/25/2022 11:31 AM  #6

Rudi wrote:

What are you going to haul Billy? More info will get a knowledgeable suggestion.

mustang maybe a truck sometimes a 2008 Suburban is my largest vehicle I own.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/25/2022 11:38 AM)

5/25/2022 11:32 AM  #7

josh-kebob wrote:

18'....steel floor with welded in D ring tie downs...

Where did you get yours?....I seen a place around Centre Al

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/25/2022 11:35 AM)

5/25/2022 6:01 PM  #8

My larger trailer is a 16' + 2' dovetail for a total of 18'. I've hauled everything from an F150 truck to a model A to a   Blown 35 Dodge 5 window coupe to a 65 Mustang. it hauled them all well. the f150 was a trailer full. 
either type of deck has pros and cons
Wood will rot, steel will rot eventually.  Steel decks are slick from the standpoint if you loaded a steel bush hog for instance.  Steel on steel is very slick and will move easier than steel on wood,  Look at the majority of semi trailer decks, they are wood whether on a flat bed or a box trailer.  Steel is easier to clean, just a hose will hose off any dirt you would haul.  Wood tends to collect dirt, rocks fall down between the gaps created by shrinking boards.
Best bet is to see what you can get for the best price

5/25/2022 6:33 PM  #9

A buddy of mine has a 20+ year old steel deck 7k rated 18’ big Tex car hauler.  Has tens of thousands of miles on it.  Hauled all kinds of things all sorts of places.

We folded the frame one time, then tweaked the dovetail another time.  The new ones are .180” wall tube, his was .120” wall 2x4” rectangular tube for the main frame.  It folded where the tubing got dimpled from the axle bottoming out against the frame.  Whatever you get be mindful of material used and specifications.  That trailer has a 7k gross rating, which only leaves you about 5k in payload.  Both times it was damaged rated payload was exceeded.  Budget to buy tires every few years…

5/26/2022 7:50 AM  #10

I built an 18' flatbed back in the 80's using 2X8 treated lumber shiplap on 2' centers. It sits outdoors always and has held up well over years. Haven't used it much the last 10 yrs accept to haul some stone & sand. I wouldn't drive a heavy car or truck on it any more, but the deck is easy too replace

5/27/2022 3:52 PM  #11

Pretty sure I want to get the 18 foot  with dovetail. Metal would probably be best.

5/27/2022 5:36 PM  #12

In hindsight, I wouldn't buy another trailer. Instead, I'd rent one fron uhaul when I needed to move a car. Why? You need space to park/store your own trailer. You need to periodically check and pack wheel bearings. Over time, it'll need new tires. Once your so called friends learn you have a trailer, they'll want to borrow it. Once borrowed, you may have to hound them to have it returned or, they return it damaged. Trailer theft is high everywhere...mine got stolen and was secured. Ain't worth it...rent one for occasional use and be satisfied...

5/27/2022 7:03 PM  #13

I just figure it would be real handy taking my vehicles to and from places that work on them.

5/27/2022 7:25 PM  #14

I need to take mustang a few places like
to  muffler shop. Then a week later I need to take it to a drive shaft shop and I get tired of having to find rides back and forth to these places is why I wanted another trailer....very handy to load it on a trailer and drive back home and when work  is done go back and get it....hardly ever  finish in one day. Renting a trailer would add up when you need it several times a month. If I only needed one a couple times a year I would say yeah renting is a good way to go. Most all my needs are spaced out a week or so apart. I have limited time in between days off to arrange stuff.

5/27/2022 7:29 PM  #15

Borrow one from a buddy!    (Like JKB was just speaking of)
You a Poe-Lease Man..... fix a ticket...borrow a trailer!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/28/2022 9:07 PM  #16

What are you towing it with? Trailer weight plus vehicle being towed need to be considered.

Anyway I've been looking at a trailer too. Eventually I want to tow my Mustang (if I ever get it running) and definitely need to tow my Lightning every so often. Because of the Lightning I like a 20' trailer, but if I was just going to tow an early Mustang and 18 would be more than adequate.

I rented a really nice 20' trailer with 7500# axles and brakes, loved towing it from Texas to Maryland and back. Only thing is my tow rig needs air bags as it had a good bit of squat.

Last edited by Raymond_B (5/28/2022 9:08 PM)

5/29/2022 8:45 PM  #17

Raymond_B wrote:

What are you towing it with? Trailer weight plus vehicle being towed need to be considered.

Anyway I've been looking at a trailer too. Eventually I want to tow my Mustang (if I ever get it running) and definitely need to tow my Lightning every so often. Because of the Lightning I like a 20' trailer, but if I was just going to tow an early Mustang and 18 would be more than adequate.

I rented a really nice 20' trailer with 7500# axles and brakes, loved towing it from Texas to Maryland and back. Only thing is my tow rig needs air bags as it had a good bit of squat.

I have a 2008 4x4 Suburban.

5/30/2022 12:41 AM  #18

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I need to take mustang a few places like
to  muffler shop. Then a week later I need to take it to a drive shaft shop and I get tired of having to find rides back and forth to these places is why I wanted another trailer....very handy to load it on a trailer and drive back home and when work  is done go back and get it....hardly ever  finish in one day. Renting a trailer would add up when you need it several times a month. If I only needed one a couple times a year I would say yeah renting is a good way to go. Most all my needs are spaced out a week or so apart. I have limited time in between days off to arrange stuff.

AAA Gold membership gets me 4 free tows up to 100 miles for each person on the account. Other packages may get more. They do specify the car has to have current tags to be eligible. I was on my second year of moving it around before anyone actually asked if it was!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/30/2022 5:34 PM  #19

Check the GVW I guess is all I was saying. Obviously the larger the trailer and if it is all steel will add to the weight. Also get brakes on the trailer and a controller in the tow rig if you don't already have it.

5/30/2022 6:30 PM  #20

Raymond_B wrote:

Check the GVW I guess is all I was saying. Obviously the larger the trailer and if it is all steel will add to the weight. Also get brakes on the trailer and a controller in the tow rig if you don't already have it.

I have brake controller we pull a travel trailer all over.

6/01/2022 8:26 PM  #21

Get a 18 foot with a dovetail. I got mine with a metal deck . also get brakes on both axles well with the investment

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

6/02/2022 8:19 AM  #22

Trailer reg. 3500lbs gross and more must have brakes on all axles in PA, so I'm sure their other states the same way.

6/03/2022 1:13 PM  #23

check out "Futuratrailers"

do not know prices. Just some updated features
If you could find an old Uhaul aluminum car hauling trailer they are great

thanks

6/03/2022 10:06 PM  #24

Yup, those U-Haul trailers are daddy-o.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/03/2022 10:10 PM  #25

Bearing Bob wrote:

Yup, those U-Haul trailers are daddy-o.

Envy! Envy!  I've always wanted a 56 F100.  Timing and/or money always got in the way.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.