FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2022 6:50 PM  #26

Re: Mustang Death Valley Challenge

Bullet Bob wrote:

50vert wrote:

We've done DV more times than I can count ... well, more times than I have fingers. It's probably Leonie's favourite place in the world. Only place I've ever seen a real coyote chasing a roadrunner, think he caught it.
If I had a chance to do it in a stang, I'd do it.

Well Barry, you could probably ride with me 'cause I doubt seriously if Jean would be interested....she hates heat.

Thanks much for the offer Bob. If I can get things to pan out, I'll take you up on that .... don't like my chances though.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/08/2022 5:25 PM  #27

From the "land-of-stupid-high-hu-damned-midity      (thxBullet!)"......I've always heard......"It's a dry heat"
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/08/2022 5:36 PM  #28

6sally6 wrote:

From the "land-of-stupid-high-hu-damned-midity      (thxBullet!)"......I've always heard......"It's a dry heat"
6sally6

It’s still hot!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/08/2022 7:20 PM  #29

It's not the heat in Commiefornia, it's the stupidity.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/09/2022 9:49 AM  #30

Bolted to Floor wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

It’s still hot!!

Coming from a guy in HOUSTON of all places! (The only place I've ever been where the heat & humidity is worse-(er) than here!!) You guys can act 'see' what your about to breath!!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/09/2022 6:18 PM  #31

6sally6 wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

It’s still hot!!

Coming from a guy in HOUSTON of all places! (The only place I've ever been where the heat & humidity is worse-(er) than here!!) You guys can act 'see' what your about to breath!!!!
6s6

🤣🤣🤣🤣

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/09/2022 7:10 PM  #32

Anyone check to see what lodging in the park costs? 

It really is a unique and beautiful place.

6/09/2022 9:33 PM  #33

I remember I was melting in Texas....everybody there was saying boy you from Georgia you should be use to heat .......and I replied not this kinda heat.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

6/10/2022 8:00 AM  #34

Bentworker wrote:

... and maybe tow truck, and/or road service, availability!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/10/2022 8:39 AM  #35

Looks like the in-park lodging is about 200-600 per night.

“The Ranch” is the less expensive option.  We stayed there in January.  The property common areas are nice, they have a little store and a restaurant.  Rooms themselves seem to be varied.  Ours was in a late 1970s/ early 80’s two story motel that was very similar to a Super 8- but painted green.  It was a little funky but clean.  Had a small patio.

Park is dark sky- so when you are getting around the motel at night you need a flashlight.  Minimal outdoor lighting, parking lots are black- no lighting. 

There has to be towing / roadside available, but I am sure it is not cheap as they would be coming from outside the physical park.

https://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw14uVBhBEEiwAaufYx5AkVg2UbClNC2r0g7TUXKv4Pwvct4immusqxW9DS_BlMct5idbu0BoCmtkQAvD_BwE

6/10/2022 9:23 AM  #36

BobE wrote:

Bentworker wrote:

... and maybe tow truck, and/or road service, availability!

Road service/tow trucks are limited in the park and response time, in the unlikely event you have cell service, is very slow. Many of the road shoulders are soft sand and one should exercise caution when pulling onto a dirt shoulder. While four wheeling in the park, I have towed vehicles from the shoulder back onto the road.

In addition to a lot of water, extra fuel is a good idea as fuel might not be available in Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells. However, the Baker to Furnace Creek route is approximately 113 miles, and Stovepipe wells is only 25 miles beyond Furnace Creek, probably well within the range of most classic Mustangs. Last May, the Furnace Creek gas station did not have an attendant and did not accept cash-only credit card. I have always found fuel available at Panamint Springs Resort. Cell service is very limited, unless improvements have been made since last year. 

6/10/2022 10:32 AM  #37

Very good to have someone on here that has spent some time there....thanks very much, Boss
Might be a fun trip....might not butt (TS&T), I'd probably take the chance.  If everyone carried some special equipment...tow ropes, a couple gallons of water...we could likely get everyone home...probably.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/10/2022 11:49 AM  #38

This sounds like a great case for CBs! Pick a channel for the group to use for the trip. Might come in handy if cell coverage is spotty and I am sure they are cheap in pawns shops I remember having one in the 70's.

6/10/2022 1:49 PM  #39

I've been using hand-held's for years for hunting and caravaning.  Depending on terrain they work decently out to a couple of miles.  Okay for herding cats.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/10/2022 2:14 PM  #40

6/10/2022 3:55 PM  #41

My first summer in Dallas had 113 degree temps several times. With 60 day string of over-100 temps.  I am betting the difference between 113 and 120 feels exponentially hotter.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/11/2022 2:57 PM  #42

One thing's for sure, anyone in Texas can do some good heat testing today and tomorrow. 

6/11/2022 6:05 PM  #43

My 66 was running 210 in New Braunfels light traffic at 1:00pm today. Luckily never went higher than that and AC was still blowing cool. You could tell the engine did not like running those temps, though.
Did not lose any water. I do not use recovery or overflow tank.
Aluminum 427 stroker with 2-1/2” thick 24” Griffin radiator.  Stock 74 Maverick flex fan, 70 shroud and underdrive pulleys.  I blame the heat rise on the pulleys.

6/12/2022 4:12 PM  #44

This discussion got me wondering how my Lightning would do on this 105 degree day so I took it out for a a little drive Mid 180's at stoplights and mid 190's on the freeway. 

6/12/2022 6:17 PM  #45

Have fun, I’ll be right here 😎

Bolted to Floor wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

It’s still hot!!

6s6

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

6/15/2022 5:45 PM  #46

6/15/2022 7:54 PM  #47

Probably an electric car…

6/15/2022 10:17 PM  #48

So I guess we're going in June or July.

6/16/2022 8:19 AM  #49

About 33 years ago I had the pleasure of sleeping in canvas tent in the Mohave desert for a month while I was in the Army.  I wouldn't recommend it...LOL   I believe Death Valley isn't to far from there.   

6/16/2022 10:32 AM  #50

MS wrote:

Probably an electric car…

Interesting, I have never seen an electric vehicle in Death Valley or Panamint Valley, nor have I seen a charging station within range of either valley. Charging stations could be nearby, I just haven't seen them; likewise, electric vehicles might have made the trip through the two valleys and I just haven't seen them. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.