FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2013 7:59 AM  #1

Any way to temorarily increase ground clearance?

I am considering taking the auto train to FL with my 65, arning drop, 1 inch lowered and with headers. The auto train says I need 4 inches ground clearance. I scrape on most speed bumps. I have 3 inches.  Any way to increase the front clearance just before I load the car? I can't imagine any temp solution would be 'driveable'. I would probably need to do something just before loading and just after unloading. I am lhinking I MIGHT be able to use some kind of spacers between the spring coils to get me there. If so, who sells them?

8/29/2013 8:36 AM  #2

Re: Any way to temorarily increase ground clearance?

Summit
If you want 0ne inch get the 2" spacers and so forth.
Bought some for my 66 when doing the Shelby Shuffle. Pain to compress the springs and then re-align...but that's about all involved.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/29/2013 8:53 AM  #3

Thanks. All I need to do is get it on and off the train. I will not be using it for real driving so no alignment will be needed.

8/29/2013 8:54 AM  #4

Taller tires might be easier?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/29/2013 10:14 AM  #5

wooden Blocks  under front A arms and frame

8/29/2013 11:13 AM  #6

Tires would need to be 215x75 to get the inch I would need. A block of wood between the spring coils might just be the thing. All I'd need to do is secure it so it wouldn't fall off during loading/unloading.

Last edited by Smitten (8/29/2013 1:43 PM)

8/29/2013 5:27 PM  #7

There used to be spring spacers that installed between the coils to raise cars when the springs have sagged.  I have not seen them in the last couple of decades, but you might try Honest Charley's or JC Whintey.  Each has been in business since water was new.  They might have them.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/29/2013 5:36 PM  #8

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/29/2013 5:44 PM  #9

I like Jim Bowie's idea best.  Just jack up the front and slip a 2x4 between the frame and the lower control arm.  Then lower the jack.  Haven't tried this, but it seems to be the simplest and easiest to reverse.

You could do same in rear.  Use a 6" long 4x4 and stick it between the axle and the rubber frame stops.

Way to go Jim!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/29/2013 8:32 PM  #10

X2 for Jim's Idea. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.