FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2022 3:07 PM  #1

Road trip with new engine

Well you all wanted to know how the trip went to Montana with my freshly balanced, 9.5, 60over built 289 w/ported heads, polished rods, 460/108 LSA cam, Performer intake, headers , stock air cleaner and the new Sniper. Started out with 1000 miles on the build. 
Well 1600 mile and starting out at sea level we went up to 5000 feet. The car performed great with more power than I expected with 2:90 butt gears and a C4. I ran 2800 (71MPH) to 3000 RPMs the whole way with a AFR of 14.5, We pulled 3 very tall long Mt passes at 60mph, first one 3100' and #2 at 4500' and the 3rd at 6300' and still got 17.6 MPG. It heated up about 10 degs on all 3 hills, On the flats we cruised at 75-80  with AC on and got 17.2 MPG. I want to say the Sniper performed very well. I used less than a half tank this time from Helena 4K ft to Butte 5K ft and back (round trip of 120 miles)  When I had just a 2 bl carb I used 13 gals on the same trip. We were in 80 deg temps the whole trip and the engine ran 194 and 202 with the AC, this is with a 180 stat, FloCool pump, 16" alum 2 core 1" tube rad and a 16" flex blade electric fan from Black Magic controlled by AutoCoolGuy with home made 1/2" deep shroud and 4 rubber flap vents. 
Now I want to find out witch overdrive to replace my C4 with and maybe drop the rear gears just a bitt. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

7/06/2022 3:58 PM  #2

Re: Road trip with new engine

That's outstanding Chris, kudos. Sounds like you're ready for the Bash.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/06/2022 4:38 PM  #3

Fan-Tas-tik Chris.  With an OD you should do quite a bit better on MPG.  Of course, the cam/heads etc will determine the "sweet spot" for torque/mpg.  I run 3.55 gears and an AOD which had an OD ratio of .67:1  or 2.38 final drive and I cruise at 70 mph at around 2200 rpm.  A 4R70W has a slightly lower OD ratio (higher numerically) of .7.  Most T5s are around .68 and a Z speck T5 should be .63.  With the gears you have an AOD will make your 75 MPH RPM right at 1960 which might be a bit low for your torque curve.I
I would have to recommend going to 3.25 or 3.55 gears to keep the engine happy with an OD.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/06/2022 4:38 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/06/2022 4:44 PM  #4

That’s fantastic.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/06/2022 5:25 PM  #5

Thats the info I am looking for. I need to change out the gear set anyway because of noise. And the performer intake is 0-5500 RPM so I think I was in some of that sweet spot but it runs so good at any RPM.
What tranny do you have BB

Last edited by Cab4word67 (7/06/2022 5:26 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

7/06/2022 6:47 PM  #6

Cab4word67 wrote:

What tranny do you have BB

I have an AOD from an 89 Lincoln TC.  Though, other than maybe slightly different governor weights, they are  all the same inside, I think.  Though from what I read you want an 89 or later. I bought a rebuild kit from PATC  and a 2800 Stall torque converter and rebuilt it myself....really not that difficult if you have a few tools.....and I do....and I'll loan them for the cost of shipping.  I also have a book with 250 captioned photos of how to disassemble and reassemble the AOD.  I have nearly 40K miles on mine so I must have done something right.  I've loaned my home-brew tools to a few other guys on here who also have had decent success so if you decide to go that way just shoot me a PM.
I rebuilt a 4R70W from an O3 and installed it two winters ago.  The trans worked fine but I had some issues with the 95 computer and went back to the AOD until I work out how I'm going to control the 4R70W....think I'm going to a Bauman controller next winter and swapping back to the 4R70W.  But for now I'm with the AOD.
You could probably buy/rebuild and get the Bauman controller for the 4R70W for around a grand.  Thats a nice transmission and has nicer drivability than the AOD and better gear ratios, but you gotta have a way to control it.  As for the rebuild, it was about the same as the AOD and all of my tools worked other than one clutch spring compressor.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/07/2022 12:30 AM  #7

I happen to have a spare 4R70W taking up space. You've been wanting to take that road trip to Cali right?

7/07/2022 7:17 AM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

I happen to have a spare 4R70W taking up space. You've been wanting to take that road trip to Cali right?

What did that transmission come out of, Bob?  It needs to be from a 5.0 Exploder or a 3.8 Mustang to have the proper bell housing.   Just sayin'.  Also, just for info, from sometime in 03 on they didn't put a VSS drive gear on the output shaft.  The case has the hole but the shaft didn't have the gear.  They just put a cover over the hole so it's easy to see if the gear is there.  My 03 3.8 trans had the gear but many do not.  Early EFI needs the VSS.  I'm told the 98 plus transmission is the one to get due to innards.

BB1

7/07/2022 8:38 AM  #9

Awesome!

7/07/2022 9:14 AM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

What did that transmission come out of, Bob?  It needs to be from a 5.0 Exploder or a 3.8 Mustang to have the proper bell housing.   Just sayin'.  Also, just for info, from sometime in 03 on they didn't put a VSS drive gear on the output shaft.  The case has the hole but the shaft didn't have the gear.  They just put a cover over the hole so it's easy to see if the gear is there.  My 03 3.8 trans had the gear but many do not.  Early EFI needs the VSS.  I'm told the 98 plus transmission is the one to get due to innards.

BB1

Not a clue. It's the one I sent pics of with the AOD.

7/07/2022 10:14 AM  #11

Did it come with that 5.0 you had/have?

7/07/2022 11:24 AM  #12

I thought all the 5.0L Explorers were AWD 1996-2001.

7/07/2022 8:53 PM  #13

Nos681 wrote:

I thought all the 5.0L Explorers were AWD 1996-2001.

Don't know, but you would need to get a 2WD tail shaft and tail shaft housing.  The 4R70W does have a tendancy to spin the #9 bearing.  Thats the last bearing in the case.  That situation will usually ruin the case according to my trans friend...ah, that transmission.  Mine from the 03 Mustang was spun and the case was NG.  But two days before I discovered this another friend gave me a trans from a 5.0 AWD Exploder and it was good.

7/07/2022 10:32 PM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

Did it come with that 5.0 you had/have?

Nope, that AOD got blowed up when the planet gears let go. Bought it a few years ago with a bed full of trans, motors, and parts. This 4R70W and the aod I asked you about were in the same parts buy. No clue what vehicle it was in originally.

Edit:
Oops, now I see what you're axing. Mine won't work as it came from a mod motor with a three bolt starter.
Never mind...

Last edited by Bearing Bob (7/08/2022 10:45 AM)

7/08/2022 12:31 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

BB1

I have the Bauman Quick 4 controller on my 4R70W and no problems. I upgraded from the Quick 1 model - I sent in the Quick 1 and some money (can't remember how much) they sent me the Quick 4.
Also, a 4R70W used with a 4.2L will work too.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.