FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2022 10:42 AM  #26

Re: NEW 3 Core Rad, Dual 12" Fans with shroud ----- OVERHEATING?

Have you tried to power up the fans with the engine off to verify how much air is being pulled through the radiator?
Also, have you verified the Temp switch is functioning?  It could be defective and not turning on the fans.  You might try to jump out the fans so they are running all the time and take a ride to see if the the problem goes away.  If it cools properly, the temp switch is the likely defective. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/18/2022 3:40 PM  #27

Never heard.............what pound of radiator cap are you using?    How old is the cap?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/18/2022 4:21 PM  #28

Are there any arrow marks on fan hub?
Might be on one side only.
The center appears to be leading edge and outside rim is trailing edge.

While fan is off car, operate fan in both directions…just by reversing positive and negative.
See which direction moves the most air.
Could tape it to cardboard box so air has to flow through…even scrap pieces around perimeter.
Or just leave it on the shroud.

Sure wish these aftermarket electric fans were better marked.
Even my old Hayden 16” fan, had polarity backwards.
I had tested to verify before mounting it.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/18/2022 4:31 PM)

7/18/2022 4:38 PM  #29

Nos681 wrote:

Are there any arrow marks on fan hub?
Might be on one side only.
The center appears to be leading edge and outside rim is trailing edge.

While fan is off car, operate fan in both directions…just by reversing positive and negative.
See which direction moves the most air.
Could tape it to cardboard box so air

has to flow through…even scrap pieces around perimeter.
Or just leave it on the shroud.

Sure wish these aftermarket electric fans were better marked.
Even my old Hayden 16” fan, had polarity backwards.
I had tested to verify before mounting it.

According to the pic, if the yellow arrow is rotation, then it appears it would be trying to blow air back into the radiator, assuming the fan bolts on the engine side of the radiator. That would definitely cause backwards and very ineffective airflow.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/18/2022 5:50 PM  #30

Fan guard is behind fan blade in the picture.

7/18/2022 7:09 PM  #31

Nos681 wrote:

You are right, Dan. I was looking at it wrong.
Not sure it matters, but two 12” fans are pulling the same area in square inches area as a 17” fan.

Two 12” fans have 76” of circumference length while a 17” fan has 54”.  I wonder if there is more loss in efficiency due to the extra length around the perimeter. Probably not enough to induce the kind of problems experienced here.

Nothing wrong with a properly installed and engineered electric fan, but apparently something is amiss here that we are not seeing. My main opposition to electric fans is the typical lack of those two attributes in most installations. No idea if that is the case here or not.

7/18/2022 7:57 PM  #32

MS wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

You are right, Dan. I was looking at it wrong.
Not sure it matters, but two 12” fans are pulling the same area in square inches area as a 17” fan.

Two 12” fans have 76” of circumference length while a 17” fan has 54”. I wonder if there is more loss in efficiency due to the extra length around the perimeter. Probably not enough to induce the kind of problems experienced here.

Nothing wrong with a properly installed and engineered electric fan, but apparently something is amiss here that we are not seeing. My main opposition to electric fans is the typical lack of those two attributes in most installations. No idea if that is the case here or not.

17/2=8.5   8.5 squared~72  72*3.14~225 in**
12/2=6     6 squared=36  36*3.14~100  100*2=200**

Close but no cigar.  the 17" fan will pass a little more air, and I have not yet subtracted the area of the fan motors.  2 vs 1

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/18/2022 8:18 PM  #33

I did the math before I posted

“Same” equals damn close

7/19/2022 10:43 AM  #34

I thought you guys would like this information that SPAL provides. This is for the dual "HO" fans that I use. As you can see direction and static pressure both have a role in CFM and amperage. This is probably obvious to experienced folks, but most people tend to look at all fans being the same. 

https://www.a1electric.com/spal/specs/30102800.pdf

7/19/2022 12:54 PM  #35

From the time I have had my car till the last changes it has had numerous configurations of electric fans, none of which was because of overheating.
The electric fan “folly’s” were more to do with ridding the engine of a belt driven fan. I have had pushers, pullers of various manufacture, none of which were all that great.
The only configuration that wasn’t tried was a o/e Contour two fan set up, which I found out later was the way to go.
The present set up is a mechanical 17 inch 5 blade Ford fan cut down to 15 inches with a custom made shroud on a 24 inch Champion rad, 180 “T” stat.
The Champ rad is not as pretty as some of the others but the price was right.
I had no room for a thermo fan so this one is direct drive.
My Autometer temp gauge very  rarely ever go over 180 indicated, an infra red point and shoot gun says 195 at hot side of the t stat housing.
I have no concerns about the small HP loss with the mechanical knowing that under sweltering heat with the air on in traffic the 331 is not going to go ballistic.
I am also quite sure that the removal of the o/e power steering system was a major contribution on lowering under hood temperatures.
I’m with Steve on “ I don’t need no stinkin electric fan”
YMMV

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/04/2022 4:24 AM  #36

A buddy of mine initially fitted an aluminum radiator and an electric fan set up. Last I heard he ditched both and went with a copper/brass radiator and a mechanical clutch fan.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

8/04/2022 8:57 AM  #37

Toploader wrote:

A buddy of mine initially fitted an aluminum radiator and an electric fan set up. Last I heard he ditched both and went with a copper/brass radiator and a mechanical clutch fan.

Smart guy👍🏻

8/04/2022 5:51 PM  #38

I too had cooling problems with my 65 bored out .060 over 289 but with the AutoCoolGuy controler reading temp at the bottom before it returns to the engine, and a new 2 core 1" tubes stock size with a Black magic flex blade 16" fan and a 1/2" deep homemade shroud I run 197 in stop in go with AC on and in 98 deg hot sun. I have hit 205 but not often. 197 all day long on hwy turning 3K rpm w/AC.  I don't worry about running hot anymore and figure I'm ready to go to Vegas. I belive the controler made a big difference and I don't have to worry about a relay smoken. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.