FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2022 10:16 PM  #1

Help with Cam

https://www.howardscams.com/hydraulic-roller-camshaft-1963-2002-ford-221-302-351w-1200-5600-howards-cams-221275-12

Spoke with Howards Cams and they recommended the cam in link above. 
I just want something with a little more sound and maybe not mess with Gas mileage much since this car will be drove mostly everyday has powersteering,AC and 4 wheel disc brakes.
Yes I know it is near impossible to have performance and gas mileage.

1965 Mustang 5 speed 3.55.1 rear gears
1998 explorer engine Roller Cam,4.030 flat top pistons, Gt40P heads, Petronix Distributor, Hi-Po manifolds 2.50 pipes with h-pipe and 40 series flow masters.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (7/20/2022 10:23 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

7/20/2022 10:38 PM  #2

Re: Help with Cam

Honestly Billy, how much more noise do you need with series 40  Flowmasters? Some cop might stop you and give you a ticket for excessive noise!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/20/2022 10:50 PM  #3

When you spoke to Howard’s, did you give them all of this information?
Especially the GT40P heads.
Pretty sure springs will require upgrade from stock.

The last set of numbers for some cams refer to LSA or various kits such as cam, cam/lifters, cam/lifters/intake, etc.
That’s been my observation.

I know Edelbrock’s Performer series camshafts for 289 and 390 idle smooth and have vacuum for power brakes and transmission (modulator).

289 (.030) was in my Mustang.
390 is in my friend’s 64 Thunderbird and he tows a small boat.
He drives like an old guy…I mean responsibly. 😁

7/20/2022 11:39 PM  #4

Nos681 wrote:

When you spoke to Howard’s, did you give them all of this information?
Especially the GT40P heads.
Pretty sure springs will require upgrade from stock.

The last set of numbers for some cams refer to LSA or various kits such as cam, cam/lifters, cam/lifters/intake, etc.
That’s been my observation.

I know Edelbrock’s Performer series camshafts for 289 and 390 idle smooth and have vacuum for power brakes and transmission (modulator).

289 (.030) was in my Mustang.
390 is in my friend’s 64 Thunderbird and he tows a small boat.
He drives like an old guy…I mean responsibly. 😁

Yeah I will build the heads to accommodate they are waiting to see what cam I am gonna run.

7/21/2022 5:13 AM  #5

I would not second guess a cam company's recommendation.  Howards has a great reputation I'm sure they'll do right by you.

As far as performance and economy, those two play just fine.  What I've noticed is that when I increase a vehicle's performance I almost always end up getting better gas mileage.  I've made the engine's job easier.  I don't drive a vehicle any differently respective of its level of performance, so what I've concluded is that a higher performance level uses more fuel on acceleration, etc., BUT I spend considerably less time on the accelerator.  At cruising RPM its probably more efficient than it was once restriction has been removed from the exhaust, etc.  I've always ascribed to the understanding that an engine is just an air pump.  So long as I'm not physically changing the size of the pump, and so long as I don't use artificial aspiration (nitrous, blower, etc.); all I'm really doing is improving efficiency.  That should improve both performance and economy. 

7/21/2022 7:59 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

I don't drive a vehicle any differently respective of its level of performance 

What the heck is wrong with you! 

7/21/2022 8:53 AM  #7

Raymond_B wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

LOL

7/21/2022 8:54 AM  #8

Ron68 wrote:

Honestly Billy, how much more noise do you need with series 40  Flowmasters? Some cop might stop you and give you a ticket for excessive noise!

It dont really seem loud to me has a nice rumble to it.

7/21/2022 10:19 AM  #9

What the HECK did I tell ya?!!!
108 LSA  = snotty idle.
They recommended  more lift and less duration than me.
My "idea" was less lift would be easier on the springs/valve train.

IF you plan on a 331 stroker then their recommendations is rather mild IMO.
(Which is fine because you will be severely traction compromised anyway with that kind of engine in a 65/66 Mustang.)
Just for $hitz & giggles call  Delta Cams and Comp Cams and get their input (and prices) IF their numbers are close to Howards then you know you're on the right track!!
Roll-On BILLY
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/21/2022 7:13 PM  #10

Billy 
This is what I used   Comp Cams  # 31-442-8 

My 289" block 10.1 hypereutcic -GT-40  IS-M-6049-Y303 heads -Edelbrock Performer-Holley 650 dbl pump manual - Hooker headers - T5 - 3.25 true track ...

very low vacuum 10' - lumpy idle but great response .. 
Fun to Drive  ..

from Comp cams site ...
 Engine Make/SizeFord 289-302RPM Range2500-6000Lifter TypeHydraulic RollerInt. Duration Advertised (Deg)284Exh. Duration @ .050 in. (Deg)224Exh. Duration Advertised (Deg)284Int. Duration @ .050 in. (Deg)224UsageStreet/StripQuantitySold individuallyLobe Separation (Deg)110Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio (0.533Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio (i0.533Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.533 int./0.533 exh.Advertised Duration284 int./284 exh.Computer-Controlled CompatibleNoValve Springs RequiredYesCam StyleHydraulic roller tappetExhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift224Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift224Duration at 050 inch Lift224 int./224 exh.Advertised Intake Duration284Advertised Exhaust Duration284Basic Operating RPM Range2,500-6,000Grind NumberFS 284RF-HR10Exhaust Valve Lift0.533 in (13.538 mm)Intake Valve Lift0.533 in (13.538 mm)Manufacturer's Part Number:31-442-8Shipping Weight:7.75Package Height:3.1Package Depth:24.2Package Width:2.8

I also run an electric fan w/ 24" radiatio  -  a/c - powerSteering - hydro boost breaks - 4 wheel disc ... all with V belts ...

Last edited by Vkt-66 (7/21/2022 7:23 PM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

7/21/2022 7:33 PM  #11

224-224 duration on a 110LSA..........in a 289!!!!!  Bet that puppy is snotty!!!

Makes MY argument all along.
Just because it stutters..... "like a 14 year old on his first date".... doesn't mean its a hand full around town! 
OLD-OLD Tech HiPo 289's with solid lifters.......327/365HP Shivel-lays....and others were driven on the street back-in-the-day.
Today you really CAN have your cake and eat it too!  Modern roller cams with stupid duration and LSA numbers are very streetable (unless you're a girl!) Manual trannys makes it even easier.
IMHO! (of course)
Cam'um up fellas......you don't live fer ever!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/22/2022 5:09 AM  #12

Raymond_B wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its kind of like when the anti gun lady asked why I had a half dozen rifles and pistols, she said "what are you afraid of?"  My response was "Nothing."

I explained it this way to my wife: It doesn't matter if its a high performance vehicle; its got a high performance driver. 

7/22/2022 5:21 AM  #13

The world is your oyster if you don’t have vacuum assisted brakes or factory speed density efi.

7/22/2022 7:01 AM  #14

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Changing the two barrel carb to a four barrel is going to change the sound of your exhaust. A lumpy cam will really add to that noise.  More compression will add to that.  So, you really won’t know the final sound until the new engine is in there.  Ifbyou like it, then it is perfect.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/22/2022 10:43 PM  #15

MS wrote:

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Changing the two barrel carb to a four barrel is going to change the sound of your exhaust. A lumpy cam will really add to that noise. More compression will add to that. So, you really won’t know the final sound until the new engine is in there. Ifbyou like it, then it is perfect.

I can always head over to the muffler shop and get some quite mufflers maybe some 50 series....we shall see.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.