FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2022 1:56 PM  #1

Fuel sender float length

I have an aftermarket fuel gauge and a stainless fuel sender with a good float and a 1970 22 gallon fuel tank. The gauge works but the levels of fuel are off such as the gauge reads full when the tank is only 3/4s full. After pulling the sender out and bench testing it I noticed that the float arms length goes to full at about the height of 3/4s of a tank. It seems that the float arm should be a couple of inches longer to compensate for the 22 gallon tank. The float arm seem that it would work well for the smaller 16 gallon tank. I notice that fuel senders without the low fuel light are sold as 1965 to 1970 units. I am thinking of extending the float arm a couple of inches to create better arch of the float for the taller 22 gallon tank. Has anyone had this issue?

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

7/24/2022 4:25 PM  #2

Re: Fuel sender float length

A 1970 specific sender is what you need. If the ad says 65-70, shop elsewhere.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/25/2022 10:36 AM  #3

You can bend the float's arm so that the float will be higher when the arm reaches its maximum up travel.

7/25/2022 3:26 PM  #4

Agree w/Texas!,  The 22 gallon tank is higher so if using the original 65 sending unit, this would be expected.
For me the real issue would be the empty level indication, running out of gas is PITA.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/26/2022 10:34 AM  #5

BobE wrote:

For me the real issue would be the empty level indication, running out of gas is PITA.

Bingo! I to have a 22 gallon tank and used the Bullet Bob sender template to adjust the arm. I've got ~2½ gallons when the gauge reads E, which is about the only reading I care about.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/26/2022 11:49 AM  #6

Bearing Bob wrote:

BobE wrote:

Bingo! I to have a 22 gallon tank and used the Bullet Bob sender template to adjust the arm. I've got ~2½ gallons when the gauge reads E, which is about the only reading I care about.

I did the same on my tank in my 68. I did the extension on the pickup with the larger inlet screen, I calibrated the arm per BB's template and I installed the adjustable voltage regulator on the fuel gauge and adjusted it so that when it reached the E mark (bar) I have exactly 2 gallons left in the tank.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.