FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2022 5:00 AM  #1

timing cover and water pump bolts??

The engine is at my builder and it did not have a timing cover on it when I got it  so no bolts either....I have searched to see what bolts are needed and it has so many different kits that it is confusing. I have the FlowKooler Hi-Flow Mechanical water pump 1681. 

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/05/2022 8:33 AM  #2

Re: timing cover and water pump bolts??

ARP kit.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/05/2022 10:35 AM  #3

Bearing Bob wrote:

ARP kit.

they offer several. are the covers not all the same?

8/05/2022 11:08 AM  #4

ARP 800-826-3045, ask them

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/05/2022 2:45 PM  #5

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

ARP kit.

they offer several. are the covers not all the same?

Covers for a 5.0 are pretty much the same but the accessories that the bolts help hold down can vary according to the vee-hickle.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/05/2022 4:09 PM  #6

LMR sells a repro kit I think is made by ARP.  Its for a standard Fox accessory drive though. 

8/05/2022 4:52 PM  #7

The Standard 5.0 in the CV, TC, and Marq had a number of Stud-Bolts holding down the front cover that the AC and Alternator/power steering brackets attached to.  Some may be handy, some you may want to do away with...depends on which front dress you are going to use. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/05/2022 7:01 PM  #8

mine will have the factory A/C and Power Steering from 1965 mustang 289

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (8/05/2022 7:52 PM)

8/05/2022 7:17 PM  #9

Billy, check out AMK Products. They have bolt kits for everything on your car. The Mustang vendors have them. 
 https://www.amkproducts.com/master-kits/ford-master-fastener-kits
I used their water pump bolt kit on my car, it comes with a chart showing where each bolt goes. 
Their stuff is often used for restorations because it is so exact. 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

8/05/2022 7:43 PM  #10

mine will have the factory A/C and Power Steering

Factory Exploder?  That's not the cleanest or easiest setup  to put in a classic.  That's what my friend decided to do with the Falcon Project.  It fit but it's tight....and ugly in my opinion.  The stock Mustang HO single belt serpentine system is the cleanest.  The two belt from the CV, TC or Marq works great with a little minor tweaking.  Or, the stock V-belt system from the 289 will work too.

BB1

8/05/2022 7:52 PM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

mine will have the factory A/C and Power Steering

Factory Exploder?  That's not the cleanest or easiest setup  to put in a classic.  That's what my friend decided to do with the Falcon Project.  It fit but it's tight....and ugly in my opinion.  The stock Mustang HO single belt serpentine system is the cleanest.  The two belt from the CV, TC or Marq works great with a little minor tweaking.  Or, the stock V-belt system from the 289 will work too.

BB1

no from my 65 mustang

8/05/2022 8:07 PM  #12

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255098432403

this is the cover I got

8/05/2022 8:12 PM  #13

8/06/2022 6:52 AM  #14

Billy here's a link for their small block engine bolt kits:
https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/ford-individual-fastener-kits/?year_=1966&model=Mustang&category=Engine%20-%20289%2F302%2F351W

F489 kit for timing cover and F249 for the water pump. The water pump kit is for a 67 with factory A/C. 
Click on the camera on the far right to see what comes in each kit.

I also have the FlowKooler pump on mine...

Last edited by zakdaddy99 (8/06/2022 7:01 AM)

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

8/06/2022 9:15 AM  #15

Here is the deal.  I have assembled many 289 and 302 and 351 engines through the years and have never found a “kit” that fits what you want. On my 351w, it took three ARP kits to get all the bolts I needed in the lengths required to do the job.
On yours, an Explorer or 5.0 kit is obviously NOT going to work because everything is different. A 289 kit for a 65 theoretically would work, if it came with the right bolts, but your Explorer block requires longer bolts than a 289 block where the two alignment dowels go on the timing cover.

All that said, www.monsterfastener.com is your best bet.  You need to mock up your assembly and measure the lengths that you need to do the job, then order some grade 8 flanged hex head bolts to do the job.  Be sure to allow for the extra length required where the lower timing bolts go through the alignment dowels. Those threads do not start at the face of the block. They are recessed about 1/4”. If you use the 289 bolts in those positions, they will only engage about 1/8” of threads.
If you want to buy a kit, get the 65 289 kit, but be sure you test everything. Those two will be too short. Others may be too long and bottom out before they clamp down on what you are trying to fasten.

All 289 kits are not same, no matter what manufacturer tells you. Some have early water pump. Some have iron pump. Some have smog pump.

The only real way to get this right is to measure and buy what you need.

Or, do like I did and keep ordering extra kits until you finally get everything you need. $$$$$$

You can always go to a hardware store and buy cheap bolts in every length and take them home and try them for length, and then order what you need.  Some may have to be trimmed for length   Nothing makes an engine look worse than using a bunch of cheap bolts and washers to assemble it.  Ford used flanged head grade 8 bolts on just about everything, but there were some exceptions.  To me, it just makes sense to do it right even though it takes some extra effort.

Every 5/16” bolt should have about 1/2” of thread engagement.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/06/2022 12:47 PM  #16

Or, and this is just a thought,  you could thoroughly plan your engine build before spending a dime.
Establish what front dress you're going to use then, purchase what you need to install said front dress.
Same for intakes, exhaust manifolds, exhaust systems, heads, PS, AC components, h20 pump,  etc.

Grab a pen and paper and write everything down.  Searching this forum for answers works too...thus, the search function.

Once you have a plan, purchase needed components then, go forth and conquer...

Sounds simple and it is....saves time too...

Again, just a thought...

8/06/2022 7:54 PM  #17

josh-kebob wrote:

Or, and this is just a thought, you could thoroughly plan your engine build before spending a dime.
Establish what front dress you're going to use then, purchase what you need to install said front dress.
Same for intakes, exhaust manifolds, exhaust systems, heads, PS, AC components, h20 pump, etc.

Grab a pen and paper and write everything down. Searching this forum for answers works too...thus, the search function.

Once you have a plan, purchase needed components then, go forth and conquer...

Sounds simple and it is....saves time too...

Again, just a thought...

just wondering what bolts will work with what I have engine. The engine is at machine shop getting balanced and will be going together soon...just getting the bolts up since it did not have any.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (8/06/2022 7:55 PM)

8/06/2022 8:23 PM  #18

MS wrote:

Here is the deal. I have assembled many 289 and 302 and 351 engines through the years and have never found a “kit” that fits what you want. On my 351w, it took three ARP kits to get all the bolts I needed in the lengths required to do the job.
On yours, an Explorer or 5.0 kit is obviously NOT going to work because everything is different. A 289 kit for a 65 theoretically would work, if it came with the right bolts, but your Explorer block requires longer bolts than a 289 block where the two alignment dowels go on the timing cover.

All that said, www.monsterfastener.com is your best bet. You need to mock up your assembly and measure the lengths that you need to do the job, then order some grade 8 flanged hex head bolts to do the job. Be sure to allow for the extra length required where the lower timing bolts go through the alignment dowels. Those threads do not start at the face of the block. They are recessed about 1/4”. If you use the 289 bolts in those positions, they will only engage about 1/8” of threads.
If you want to buy a kit, get the 65 289 kit, but be sure you test everything. Those two will be too short. Others may be too long and bottom out before they clamp down on what you are trying to fasten.

All 289 kits are not same, no matter what manufacturer tells you. Some have early water pump. Some have iron pump. Some have smog pump.

The only real way to get this right is to measure and buy what you need.

Or, do like I did and keep ordering extra kits until you finally get everything you need. $$$$$$

You can always go to a hardware store and buy cheap bolts in every length and take them home and try them for length, and then order what you need. Some may have to be trimmed for length Nothing makes an engine look worse than using a bunch of cheap bolts and washers to assemble it. Ford used flanged head grade 8 bolts on just about everything, but there were some exceptions. To me, it just makes sense to do it right even though it takes some extra effort.

Every 5/16” bolt should have about 1/2” of thread engagement.

Thank you ..I will work on it after I get it back from builder.

8/06/2022 8:24 PM  #19

zakdaddy99 wrote:

Billy here's a link for their small block engine bolt kits:
https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/ford-individual-fastener-kits/?year_=1966&model=Mustang&category=Engine%20-%20289%2F302%2F351W

F489 kit for timing cover and F249 for the water pump. The water pump kit is for a 67 with factory A/C. 
Click on the camera on the far right to see what comes in each kit.

I also have the FlowKooler pump on mine...

thanks I will check into those ...just trying to get the bolts up so I will have them when the builder is done.

8/07/2022 9:00 AM  #20

The bolts that enter the block will be identical to what is used on a 289, except those two that need to be longer that I previously mentioned.

Another method might be to pull the bolts one at a time from the old engine and measure them, then reinstall if you want to sell the 289 complete. Then just order replacements.  That should be pretty simple to do even with the 289 still in the car.

8/07/2022 10:53 AM  #21

MS wrote:

The bolts that enter the block will be identical to what is used on a 289, except those two that need to be longer that I previously mentioned.

Another method might be to pull the bolts one at a time from the old engine and measure them, then reinstall if you want to sell the 289 complete. Then just order replacements. That should be pretty simple to do even with the 289 still in the car.

Good idea thanks for sharing.

8/07/2022 11:03 AM  #22

Buy some all-thread and a few nuts to fit.
Screw in the all-thread to get an idea how long you need.
Screw the nut on and then cut off the excess.
Unscrew and there's ya bolt SIZE.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/07/2022 11:59 AM  #23

I just finished replacing the timing cover gasket, water pump and oil pan gasket on a 302, Ford Racing water pump, March serpentine system with power steering and alternator. I ordered the LMR ARP kit and did not read the fine print, so now I have a bunch of ARP bolts that I do not need. If you want them, let me know and I will ship them out. Some of them might fit your application. I will also include the Felpro plastic installation bolts which are handy when installing the oil pan.
The Felpro silicone oil pan gasket ($$$), installed per Felpro's instructions with silicone on and in each of the four nubs and recesses, leaked at the front and rear of the oil pan (Canton oil pan), so I had to redo and used a lot of black rtv. No leaks now. 

8/07/2022 5:11 PM  #24

Great idea on the all-thread and nuts Sal.  Just back them out about 1/8” one they bottom out so they aren’t too long once everything compresses together.
Just don’t even THINK of using all-thread as any permanent part of your engine!

That one piece oil pan seal leak has been discussed alot before. Now I cut the ends off and use RTV as well. No leaks that way.  The side rail part of the gaskets work well, but it begs the question of why not just use RTV for the whole thing and save $30.

8/07/2022 6:37 PM  #25

boss347convertible wrote:

I just finished replacing the timing cover gasket, water pump and oil pan gasket on a 302, Ford Racing water pump, March serpentine system with power steering and alternator. I ordered the LMR ARP kit and did not read the fine print, so now I have a bunch of ARP bolts that I do not need. If you want them, let me know and I will ship them out. Some of them might fit your application. I will also include the Felpro plastic installation bolts which are handy when installing the oil pan.
The Felpro silicone oil pan gasket ($$$), installed per Felpro's instructions with silicone on and in each of the four nubs and recesses, leaked at the front and rear of the oil pan (Canton oil pan), so I had to redo and used a lot of black rtv. No leaks now. 

Sent you a private message

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.