FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2013 4:29 PM  #1

How does the fuel system in a 66 289 work?

I just got my car back from paint!! (pics to come soon, after I get it moving again) My paint/body put in a new gas tank, but now I'm having trouble starting/get fuel to the carb.  I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump going to the tank, and nothing came out.  Today I'm going to grab my vacuum brake bleeder and attach to the line and see if I get anything. 

I just wanted to know if I should be getting some gas when I disconnect the line from the fuel pump or does that just happen when the fuel pump is active? 

Thanks,

Marlon

8/30/2013 5:01 PM  #2

Re: How does the fuel system in a 66 289 work?

You will get fuel from the line if the open end of the line is lower than the fuel level in the tank. Pretty obvious but I just thought I'ld bring it up. If you are still not getting fuel, inside of the tank there is a "sock " on the end of the pick up. That could be full of gunk.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

8/30/2013 5:18 PM  #3

That reminds me, I meant to ask this as well. Which way should the outlet from the fuel sending unit be facing?  Currently mine is facing up (I didn't install), but I thought it should be facing down to facilitate draw.  Which way is correct?

8/30/2013 5:19 PM  #4

I'm referring to where it connects to the fuel line

8/30/2013 5:27 PM  #5

It has been a long time since I have been under my car, but I seem to remember the sending unit feed pointing kind of up and towards the side of the car.  I have an image in my head of it kind of pointing toward the drivers side of the car at about a 45 degree angle upward. 

If yours is pointing straight up, I would think that would put your pickup tube kind of sideways in the tank.  That would lead to serious problems picking up fuel.

8/30/2013 6:44 PM  #6

the outlet from the sending unit points up and may be slightly cocked toward the drivers side.

with that in mind:
-how much gas do you have in the tank?
-how long did you try cranking the engine over before you gave up?
-do you have an inline filter somewhere between the fuel pump and carb?
--if yes and its the clear plastic variety, you'll obviously see flow
-how old is the fuel pump?
-when did the car last run for an extended period?
-if you use the brake bleeder and succeed in pulling fuel to the pump but, still can't pump fuel to the carb, the pump may be the problem.

Keep us posted on your progress...

8/30/2013 6:55 PM  #7

Marlon66 wrote:

I just got my car back from paint!! (pics to come soon, after I get it moving again) My paint/body put in a new gas tank, but now I'm having trouble starting/get fuel to the carb. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump going to the tank, and nothing came out. Today I'm going to grab my vacuum brake bleeder and attach to the line and see if I get anything.

I just wanted to know if I should be getting some gas when I disconnect the line from the fuel pump or does that just happen when the fuel pump is active?

Thanks,

Marlon

( in my best slingblade voice)   "It ain't got no gas in it "

No seriously, does it have gas in it? does it have a drain plug where you can see the gas coming out?

Is the vent tube blocked? 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

8/30/2013 7:26 PM  #8

I can give some advice. But can I ask a couple questions ? It's a new tank? Have you tried the old magnet in the gas tank trick if not ? Put one in the take rattle around see what rust come out. Also have you checked the filter on the sending unit. Also have you tried taking the pump out of equation. Disconnect it. Use some starting fluid see if it starts . If so it's a bad and you've checked the obvious such as filters. Then leads me to think a bad pump or cloged pump

8/30/2013 8:30 PM  #9

In 66 things were a bit simpler than now, If it was me...first check for fuel in tank, if there is disconnect the fuel line at the pump, remove the gas cap, and blow the line back to the tank with compressed air you should hear the air bubbling out of the tank.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

9/01/2013 8:53 AM  #10

What I would try is hook everything back up like it should be.  I would then unhook the fuel line at the carburetor. Stick the loose end into a pop bottle and roll the engine over. We had to do this to a friends 66 and found that the fuel system was air locked.
this of course assumes that you do have fuel. If their is fuel and the pump works and the filter is not plugged it should pick it right up and flow.  Good luck

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

9/01/2013 9:13 AM  #11

Marlon66, Here's my fuel test method, Unhook fuel line from tank at fuel pump, apply 2-3 pounds pressure in tank. If all is well, fuel will flow out of fuel line which tells you all is OK up to fuel pump.
Then hook up fuel line from tank and remove fuel line at carb. Crank engine and see if pump is pulseing fuel out of line. Be sure to catch fuel at both places.
Howard

9/03/2013 11:38 AM  #12

Thanks guys for all of the responses.  After draining the tank (nearly 10 gallons) and taking out the fuel sending unit, I discovered it was rotated ~45 out of the correct position.  Unfortunately, the wire to the gauge broke and I'm now awaiting my new unit from NPD.

9/03/2013 12:38 PM  #13

When you get the new pickup/sender, there should be a notch that indexes it into the tank opening so it will point downward.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/03/2013 1:52 PM  #14

Thanks MS, I'll look out for it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.