FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2022 2:35 PM  #26

Re: I just love this, NOT

“… the PCV is fixed so it is open always but the hole is less than 1/8"   I hadn’t heard of doing this before, what is hoped to accomplish by doing this?
14” idle vacuum seems low, unless running a hot cam, I would think you should be getting 16-18”.
Were the heads milled at all?  When milling the heads, the intake manifold sides may need to be milled to account for the heads being sitting slightly lower on the block.  Sometimes people would use two sets of intake manifold gaskets to account for the change.  If this is an issue, it can cause the intake ports to draw oil from the lifter valley … just something to consider.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/16/2022 11:11 AM  #27

Bob yes it is a hot cam and no mill work on the heads. The PCV was changed to the fixed orfic type to help the IAC on the Sniper to keep the surge down at idle, and it did that. I think we found that the valve seals are in fack the problem here but will do a leak down just to be sure. Check out the new pic too. Its a work in progress with a new engine.
Pick 2 shows the first 2 on left bank with the loest PSI readings 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/16/2022 11:12 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/16/2022 11:14 AM  #28

check out the rear plugs and you can see my oil smoke. And there are no oil leaks on the outside of this motor like gaskets. The heads are dry and as clean as they were when we install ed the plugs.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/16/2022 11:15 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/16/2022 5:15 PM  #29

It does look like 'oil suckage'! (is that a word?!
6sal6

Ya tried thicker oil?!
Wayyy less work than pulling heads..........you do that and you KNOW what happens!

(Welp(thx RPM)... lets CC the heads.....Mill a few thousandths off....mildly...just mildly port the exhuast...what the heck lets smooth and open the intakes too....bigger valves while I'm already in here...mileed the heads may as well trim the intake side down ....let's close off the heat crossover whilest -- ------- in  here....stiffer springs to get a little more RPM upstairs...alum retainers....trick keepers...!!
It's a disease man!
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (8/16/2022 5:23 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/16/2022 9:23 PM  #30

LOL 6Sally6, you are so funny. Did all that. But today we discovered the leak down test was great with no leaks. So i got the seals and took one off to change and discovered I have special seals problily due to the bigger valves. turns out they are Pioneer OS 1045 seals and i cant find them anywhere. I will go to the shop in AM and see what they are going to get me. I measured the valve stem and got .339, and the guide was .477ish. Stock umbrella seals wont fit inside the valve spring. I did find som Trick Flo seals at Summit that mite work and ordered them.

8/17/2022 12:27 PM  #31

Cab4word67 wrote:

LOL 6Sally6, you are so funny. Did all that. But today we discovered the leak down test was great with no leaks. So i got the seals and took one off to change and discovered I have special seals problily due to the bigger valves. turns out they are Pioneer OS 1045 seals and i cant find them anywhere. I will go to the shop in AM and see what they are going to get me. I measured the valve stem and got .339, and the guide was .477ish. Stock umbrella seals wont fit inside the valve spring. I did find som Trick Flo seals at Summit that mite work and ordered them.

Cab4word67 – from the dimensions you provided, you have 0.138” valve stem to guide clearance. Seems a quite large.  Here is some OEM info from the 1966 Ford Shop Manual for the 289 engine.
Valve Stem Diameter:
Intake: 0.3416-0.3423”
Exhaust: 0.3406-0.33413”

Valve Stem to Vave Guide Clearance:
Intake: 0.0010-0.0027” – Wear Limit: 0.0045”
Exhaust: 0.0020-0.0037” – Wear Limit: 0.0055”

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/17/2022 4:59 PM  #32

These are built, ported heads, big Chevy valves, yes Chevy valves.I think they are 197/160s but not fully sure.   I got the new seals installed today and guess what. Oil seams to be going away, it was very hard to see if any at all. Seals were toast. I have new Viton seals now and they fit well even over the machined guides. The old ones sorta fit sung but slid off the stems like they were never tight.  

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/17/2022 5:01 PM)

8/17/2022 5:04 PM  #33

Well GOOD!!
Now git out there and  "LET'R RIP......TATER CHIP!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/18/2022 2:51 PM  #34

Update today car is back to it's new self running very strong and with no oil coming out of the pipes anymore

8/18/2022 3:04 PM  #35

Well done sir!!

8/19/2022 6:03 AM  #36

Excellent Chris.  Get back to making your Bash plans.  See ya there, I hope.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.