FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2013 3:16 PM  #1

Has anyone had to piggyback a TEMP sender?

I have a problem...  My intake manifold has only two threaded holes for water.  One is for the heater hose and the other is for a temperature sender.  Well, I need TWO temperature sending units PLUS the heater hose connection.  I know I would probably advise against this if anyone else asked about it, but has anyone SUCCESSFULLY managed to Tee off one of the holes for two connections?  I am thinking the temperature sender needs to be submerged to properly function.  Any ideas here?  Short of drilling and tapping a new hole?

Surely somebody has had this dilemna and managed a work-around...  Looks like for now I will just not hook up the heater hose.  It is over 100 degrees outside...

Ideas?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/31/2013 3:43 PM  #2

Re: Has anyone had to piggyback a TEMP sender?

MustangSteve wrote:

I have a problem...  My intake manifold has only two threaded holes for water.  One is for the heater hose and the other is for a temperature sender.  Well, I need TWO temperature sending units PLUS the heater hose connection.  I know I would probably advise against this if anyone else asked about it, but has anyone SUCCESSFULLY managed to Tee off one of the holes for two connections?  I am thinking the temperature sender needs to be submerged to properly function.  Any ideas here?  Short of drilling and tapping a new hole?

Surely somebody has had this dilemna and managed a work-around...  Looks like for now I will just not hook up the heater hose.  It is over 100 degrees outside...

Ideas?

Didn't some of the later model T-stat housings have a place for a sender/sensor? Maybe swap to one of those?

8/31/2013 4:25 PM  #3

I did that for my oil, I have a mech gauge AND an idiot light.  My thinking is if I lose oil pressure I may not notice the gauge but that Light come on I'm gonna know it.  I just used a T and nipple, the best part is you cant see it on the side of the engine.  Now on top of the intake thats another thing trying to make it look right on that engine of yours.  It is def gonna attract attention and a T like I used will surely stick out!!  I like the ides Raymond has!!

8/31/2013 4:46 PM  #4

Raymond_B wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Ideas?

Didn't some of the later model T-stat housings have a place for a sender/sensor? Maybe swap to one of those?

I believe you are correct.  I had to replace a housing on my marine application and the style you mention is all that I could find.  I finally had to go back to San Juan Engineering to get a housing (elbow) without that bung.

8/31/2013 5:16 PM  #5

My 641/2 with 289 has a spot for a sending unit next to the radiator hose not the most attractive. What manifold are you using my edelbrock has like five place for one

8/31/2013 5:17 PM  #6

I seen a t kit at Oriley when I got a themostat gauge there. And if memory serves correctly I believe those are 3/8 mip fitting you could go to a plumbing store are get a close nipple and a t and then be in bussiness

Last edited by True74yamaha (8/31/2013 5:19 PM)

8/31/2013 5:27 PM  #7

do the sending units perform different functions?   Why not piggyback the wiring instead if that is possible.  

I have 2 sending units on my Gal engine.  As well as 2 oil sending switches.  

I put the second sending unit in the bung for the thermistat housing.   

I briefly thought of using one sending unit for both gauges but decided not to.  

I teed the oil switches because 1 is for an aftermarket gauge, the other the factory dash light.  

Last edited by Greg B (8/31/2013 5:32 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/31/2013 7:16 PM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

Ideas?

I run my fan switch off my thermostat housing bung....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/31/2013 8:18 PM  #9

Why cant you drill and tap a coolant passage in the manifold? Thats what I did with an explorer intake for the IAT sensor. Gotta think the aluminum is thick enough.... doesn't take much to hold 14 lbs. of pressure.

8/31/2013 8:40 PM  #10

I would advise against anf drill another hole. You may end up with 2 sensors that do not work because neither one is submerged.

8/31/2013 8:45 PM  #11

I've got the drill and tap for this if you need it

8/31/2013 8:58 PM  #12

Don't tell me MS needs two temp sensors, one to tun a FAN!!

tubo
t-stat housing

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/31/2013 10:03 PM  #13

My Weiand Stealth intake has two undrilled bosses at the rear where the water passages normally would be.  I am thinking those would be good enough for a heater hose connection and the TEMP senders could use the two at the front of the intake.  I am thinking I may just drive to the BASH without a heater.

JamesW, I will take you up on the drill and tap if I can get them pretty quick.  Could you mail them to me?

9/01/2013 4:43 AM  #14

I read somewhere that to use the same sender, you would need to wire in a DPDT switch. You would only be able to use one gauge at a time though.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

9/01/2013 6:15 AM  #15

commish10 wrote:

I would advise against anf drill another hole. You may end up with 2 sensors that do not work because neither one is submerged.

Care to elaborate?

9/01/2013 9:19 AM  #16

MS, I would opt for the drill and tap method.....Especially if a boss is available
Howard

9/01/2013 9:56 AM  #17

Yeah, I knew the answer was going to be the most difficult one...  If you run a tee with two senders on an oil pressure system, there is no problem because both will see the same pressure.  If you tee the temperature senders, neither one will actually be submerged in the water flow, and they will not work properly like that.

I hate to think about drilling into the intake, but the boss is there and there has never been any water in this engine yet.  That said, I should be able to vacuum out any shavings that get dropped inside.  One more setback in the BASH THRASH...

JamesW, if you can just tell me what size the drill bit and tap are, I will go to ACE and pick some up.  I guess I can figure that part out, but if you alread have the info...

Last edited by MustangSteve (9/01/2013 9:57 AM)

9/01/2013 10:48 AM  #18

I used the water neck with the sending unit on it, because I could not get the plug out of the back of that weiand manifold.  

Drilling an unused boss is certainly an option, but on mine, the sending unit for the aftermarket gauge and the stock sending unit were different sizes.  So, I actually have an adaptor on the waterneck.

Are your sending units different sizes?   Might as well figure out the placement of the units and tap the smallest hole possible.  

I can post a pick of what I did, if anyone wants to see it.  because its still on the stand....lol  (yes I am slow, it comes with the territory)

Last edited by Greg B (9/01/2013 10:51 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/01/2013 10:54 AM  #19

It's a 9/16" drill bit and a 3/8-18NPT tap.
PN of the tap is 1904P

I can get it mailed tuesday morning

Regarding getting the sensor down into the coolant stream - don't forget to 'burp' the sensor once the coolant is filled to remove the air bubble.

Also notice mine has a 3/8 to 1/4 fitting between the sensor and the housing.  if you're going to install a small sensor, you can drill/tap that size and drop the sensor further down

Last edited by JamesW (9/01/2013 10:57 AM)

9/01/2013 11:15 AM  #20

MS, you may realize this already, but vacuum while you drill and you can fill the flutes of the tap with grease to hold the shavings as you run the tap in. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/01/2013 3:00 PM  #21

Thanks for all the tips, folks. 

I just checked my new aftermarket gauges and the sending units that go with them.  If I go ahead and install those instead of leaving the originals in place, the water temp sender is only a 1/8" pipe thread!  And I already have the tap for that one.  I had planned on leaving the stock gauges in until after the bash to save time, but this looks like the easy solution. 

Thanks for getting my brain jumpstarted!

9/01/2013 4:48 PM  #22

Here is the fix for my problem.  Luckily the sender was a very small size.  The intake is only about 3/16" thick where I drilled, so it is good that the sender had really fine threads.  And I had the drill and the tap already in the tool box!

This location was chosen rather than one of the bosses at the rear because of proximity to the thermostat, and it being upstream of the thermostat.  Plus, the original wiring fit just right.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  That is the best thing about this forum...  You can bounce ideas around with several others before you decide what to do.

9/01/2013 5:57 PM  #23

Very clean looking installation.

9/01/2013 9:04 PM  #24

Steve-G wrote:

Looks like a bunch of FOD to me.  Someone needs to issue you a CAR for failing to 'clean as you go'.

Last edited by JamesW (9/01/2013 9:05 PM)

9/01/2013 9:34 PM  #25

JamesW wrote:

Steve-G wrote:

Looks like a bunch of FOD to me.  Someone needs to issue you a CAR for failing to 'clean as you go'.

Yeah, James...  I did not see that until I developed the film.  Nothing the air compressor won't take care of.  I have the shop vac right on top of the drilling process and some still got away.  I thnk the grease on the tap did gather all the tiny shavings from that process.  Someone on FYIFORD posted that suggestion a few years ago and I stuck it in the memory banks.  BoltedToTheFloor mentioned it again on previous post.  Good tip.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.