FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2013 10:58 AM  #1

How much clearance does a spark plug boot need?

Ive beaten on several sets of headers in my time, but Ive never really tried to "clearance" one and make it look nice at the same time.  just smash and go.  

I posted previously about finding a header to fit the Galaxie that would not only clear the shifter assembly, but work with "P" heads.   Not an easy task.   But I found headers for an 1987 F150.

Still had a problem with the #3 plug.  Ive been gently massaging it.   Heres where its at.  I have a pack of heat sleeves, but that would probably touch and exasperate a problem.  Im thinking I probably need to massage this a bit more, and increase the radius of my indention.  

Last edited by Greg B (9/01/2013 11:00 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/01/2013 4:17 PM  #2

Re: How much clearance does a spark plug boot need?

Have you thought about the smaller length spark plugs.  I know they make them for bowtie applications.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/01/2013 8:39 PM  #3

The package on the boot sleeves says that sleeve can directly touch the header.

I did work it a little more and got just a bit more clearance.

I also tried some other boots on there to see if they were any differences.  Those red Ford Motorsport wires seemed to have the most clearance.   

I do believe Accel is the only one that makes "header" plugs.  I read in several places they are carp.

Last edited by Greg B (9/01/2013 8:40 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/01/2013 8:44 PM  #4

In my experience, as long as it is a quality wire and not directly touching, it has been golden. I'm pretty sure that I've even had some that have started out barely touching and then kind of 'clearanced' itself. I'd bet that you're good to go as is unless you get your timing so far off that the headers are glowing (ask me how I found out about that phenomena )

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.