FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2022 5:18 PM  #1

New Master cylinder

As some of you saw my dilemma with my brakes dragging at the bash, i am trying to troubleshoot.the problem. I am leaning toward replacing the mc that came with the car with something from an explorer. Right now it has the corvette style mc with the prop valve i assume that came from CSRP kit that they sell. Everything I read about it says it has 1-1/8" bore. Question is, can i use an explorer mc with 1-1/16 bore and a built in prop valve and take out both the mc and the prop valve installed now?  Or what are the options for the master cylinder?
I have Granada discs on the front and Crown Vic discs on the back.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

9/21/2022 6:21 PM  #2

Re: New Master cylinder

Sounds like the Explorer has disc/disc brakes.

Were you able to determine if it was fronts, rears, or both dragging.

I believe your existing master cylinder is opposite a Ford master cylinder.
Front -front brakes
Rear- rear brakes

9/21/2022 6:46 PM  #3

All four are dragging

9/21/2022 7:50 PM  #4

I can't remember Alan if you had a booster or not.  If you do have a booster I'd suggest a 1" bore master cylinder.  If you're running manual brakes then stick to a 15/16" bore master cylinder.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

9/21/2022 7:54 PM  #5

I’m not sure of bore size but I have power discs front and rear. I’m running a mc from a 2000 6 cylinder Mustang. 

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/21/2022 8:44 PM  #6

Have a booster, am going to check the push rod to make sure it has not loosened and pushing on the MC all the time. I know it had clearance when i installed it, but anything can happen.

9/22/2022 10:38 AM  #7

I have a hydroboost system for my disc/disc setup.  I used a 95-97 Explorer MC, 1-1/16" Bore, Raybestos #MC390217. 
Note that I have seen where a vacuum booster got stuck in the in the ‘brakes applied’ position. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/23/2022 10:20 AM  #8

-FLASH-.......
IF you have GM calipers more than likely you will need GM type MC to make them work right.
I had /have GM calipers and used the Maverick MC and never was satisfied with the pedal nor the stopping power.
(S-10 calipers...Ford Ranger discs...Cadillac brake lines...a real cluster F of stuff / Scarebird kit)
Another web site  (HAMB) had a couple guys that told me the difference.
It did require some mods to make it work right (made an adjustable push rod as other stuff) but I am happy with it now.
Best solution.......use KH stuff (all FoMoCo stuff)...I believe MS has all the stuff!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/23/2022 3:03 PM  #9

For power boosted disc drum use 1” master cylinder from 1970 Mustang power disc drum.
For disc/disc use 2000 Mustang v6 non traction control 1” bore

On both, the fitting nearest the firewall is the front brakes.

Both have 1.0” distance from the bottom of the bore where the rod actuates it to the booster mounting surface.

74 Maverick 15/16” bore manual disc/drum master cylinder works for manual disc/drum system.

I would not recommend larger than 1” master cylinder bore in any scenario except maybe a properly functioning hydro boost or excessive leg effort and lower line pressures will result.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/23/2022 4:57 PM  #10

Right now i have the Chevy Disc\Disc PV4 proportioning valve in the system
..https://www.ebay.com/itm/233692041843  mine is aluminum.

I assume i will keep that with the new mc.

Ports will be on the passenger side, opposite of what i have now but i can run new lines.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.