FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2022 9:33 PM  #26

Re: Chasing that 80+mph vibration

Tranny points down.  By the app’s rules all numbers are from front to rear, so rear end results in a neg number. The rear end points up toward the tranny at 2.7 degrees, so all the angles are within .2 degrees of parallel as they should be.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/17/2022 4:09 AM  #27

Thanks for the clarification, it should work...

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

11/30/2022 5:45 PM  #28

Just to follow up, I finally had time to check some things and what ai have:
From the motor going to the rear-end:
The motor/Trans are at 2.7 degrees down at the trans.
The Drive shaft is 0.7 down towards the rearend.
The rearend/pinion is up 1.7 (from the pinion headed to the rear of the car) or you can say the pinion is down 1.7 headed to the front of the car.

Based on what I have read on leaf spring cars this shouldn't be that bad as the pinion will rotate up under load. The question would be does it rotate enough? Most articles say the pinion should be parallel with the trans which would be 2.7 degrees. So, do I add 4 degrees of wedge to rotate the pinion even with the trans? If so, it would seem that it would be too much once the driveline is under load.

11/30/2022 6:28 PM  #29

Your numbers are very similar to mine. I added the shim to make the rear end point up towards the front 2.7 degrees.

IT MADE NEGLIGIBLE, IF ANY, DIFFERENCE

I feel your pain.  Thinking there may be side to side variation, but have not had opportunity to measure it.

12/01/2022 9:57 AM  #30

My numbers: (as found)
Trans: 3.3 degrees down
Driveshaft: 1.7 degrees down
Pinion Nose: 1 degree down

I added a 4-degree shim to push pinion nose up:
Driveshaft: 0.1 degrees down
Pinion Nose: 3.6 degrees up

Subsequently, I removed the 4-degree shim and installed a 1” lowering block:
I didn’t take any measurements.

None of these changes (as MS indicated) “IT MADE NEGLIGIBLE, IF ANY, DIFFERENCE”
My next step is to also check the side variation.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/01/2022 12:43 PM  #31

Just Curious MS, now that you have the 69 on the road with a T-5, do you have any vibrations and what are the angles for that car?

I am going to put mine on a 4-post lift Sunday and re check all of the angles along with the pinion bearing. I do know that my pinion on the Explorer 8.8 is dead centered. 

I'm going to check the angles on my buddies 68 Cougar as well, it has a small block and T-5 with the stock 8" rearend.

I'm at the point where I would spend just about any amount of money to resolve this issue, it frustrates me every single time I drive my car to the level that it takes the fun out of getting it out of the garage.

12/01/2022 6:32 PM  #32

kardad.....when did it start vibrating/(or has it always vibrated?) Can you remember when you first noticed it?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/01/2022 7:39 PM  #33

I know exactly when it started, the moment I started changing things.

When I brought it home it had sat and not run for several years, once I got the stock 289 running with the C4 and 8" rear, all was fine, NO vibration.

I swapped the first 5.0 (306) and T-5 with the Explorer 8.8 at the same time and the problems started.

I have had 3 different motors and 2 different trans in it and the motor has been shimmed up/down and the Trans has been shimmed up/down with little change.

I will say the only constant part has been the 8.8 rear end, and I have rotated the pinion several times with little change. 

Right now, the motor/trans is down 2.7 & the pinion yoke is pointed down towards the ground 1.7

I know this isn't good, I had several people say that the pinion would rotate up under load and I believe that, but at gear changes or launching. I believe the pinion stays close to where it is set while cruising. With the trans 2.7 down, I am going to try rotating the pinion up to be parallel with the trans. At 1.7 down and trying to match the 2.7 of the trans, I will need a 4.4 shim. I'll try that, if by some miracle it helps, Ill cut the perches off and weld new ones on in the correct location.

My other concern is the actual operating angle of the u-joints at both ends. right now, with the trans down 2.7 and the drive shaft down at .7 is good, but when I rotate the pinion up from 1.7 down to 2.7 up is will not only change the rear u-joint operating angle but it will change the slope of the drive shaft, I'm just not sure how much, the drive shaft could be flat or headed up.

When it was stock, it was slow, dependable, and smooth.

12/01/2022 7:56 PM  #34

I sure see a lot of vibration complaints from guys with a T5, or one of its relatives.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/01/2022 11:26 PM  #35

The 69 does not vibrate. Nor is the car lowered.  I am
Just not willing to move the 66 suspension back to a stock height.

12/02/2022 8:12 AM  #36

You may have noticed that the Heap is lowered, just a bit.  NO VIBRATION, at all.  Wish I could explain why and help out here, probably just "dumb luck".  Butt (TS&T), it just so happens I put it way up on the lift yesterday to make room in the garage for the annual "spreading out and picking through" of the Xmas crap.  So with this opportunity I'll try to get some semi-accurate measurements of the various angles.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/02/2022 8:17 AM  #37

Bearing Bob wrote:

I sure see a lot of vibration complaints from guys with a T5, or one of its relatives.

I know MS and I have talked about this.  Didn't Ford have a ten pound chunk hanging out parallel to the driveshaft on a number of cars.  I also recall that the 8.8 in the Heap had one hanging out over the rear U-joint too.   Zugly, butt if it stops the jumping around might be worth a try.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/02/2022 9:44 AM  #38

My 05 had a couple of cast iron pigs hanging off the rear suspension.
I removed them an never noticed any difference.
IIRC there was something on the exhaust as well.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/02/2022 10:17 AM  #39

kardad.......(just spit balling here)
Is it smooth under acceleration...and just starts around 70-ish when you level-off on the gas?
After seeing those videos guys have posted of how the diff goes up & down on the least amount of torque being applied...
well I'm amazed ALL cars don't vibrate & growl under power!
Guess my point is....if there IS one...the rear springs wrap UP on acceleration (even mildly) and down on deceleration &
braking. Have you tried stiffing the front part of the leaf spring? or replace  the whole spring if 'old'? Or maybe some type of traction bar...just to see if that makes any difference. Me tinkz the up or down degrees of angle on the rear end goes 'completely out the window' once you're under way. Not say'in it ain't important cause it IS..just .......
Sure you've balanced ...rotated...swapped...tires and rims....
Drum brakes on the rear?!!!!...
Tried rotating the drive shaft u-joints 180 degrees?!!
You have 17" rims (like MS)......!?!
My 15" doesn't give me any vib problems (I don't think!)...could that be a factor?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/02/2022 11:20 AM  #40

My 65 with the MII front and Jag rear with coilovers all around is smooooth! At any height.

12/02/2022 2:06 PM  #41

I’ve tried rotating the drive shaft,
I have 17” wheels and each wheel tire convo has a set location due to staggered wheels and directional tires.
I have Cal-trac bars and can eliminate all spring wrap if I want to pre load the springs.
Once the vibration starts it doesn’t matter if you are accelerating or decelerating it continues until the speed gets below 70-72.

12/02/2022 2:07 PM  #42

With the age of my suspension I would love to go to a 4link in the rear and coil overs at all four corners.

12/03/2022 12:28 PM  #43

BobE wrote:

My numbers: (as found)
Driveshaft: 1.7 degrees down
Pinion Nose: 1 degree down

I added a 4-degree shim to push pinion nose up:
Driveshaft: 0.1 degrees down
Pinion Nose: 3.6 degrees up

Subsequently, I removed the 4-degree shim and installed a 1” lowering block:
I didn’t take any measurements.

None of these changes (as MS indicated) “IT MADE NEGLIGIBLE, IF ANY, DIFFERENCE”
My next step is to also check the side variation.

I should have noted in my original post that I have a T-5 trans and I originally had an 3" aluminum driveshaft and did try rotating it 180 degrees, no changes felt.
Changed the rear pinion yoke, verified u-joint is centered in pinion, no vibration change.
Got a new steel driveshaft, no change, rotated it, no change.
Had both driveshafts checked for balance and straightness, both OK. Re-insalled the steel shaft. 
I did purchase a transmission "counter weight" from a 2.3L Mustang, but couldn't bolt it up due to interference with E-Brake cables, and just haven't got back to it.
I going to get the rear end (9") rebuilt with new gears over the Winter and let post results. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/03/2022 4:17 PM  #44

Has anybody ever thought about a broken spot weld in the body? MS your car was hit once, Did you have the vibration noise before the wreck?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

12/03/2022 5:14 PM  #45

Quicksilver wrote:

Has anybody ever thought about a broken spot weld in the body? MS your car was hit once, Did you have the vibration noise before the wreck?

Always been there. Even with a 302 and C4

12/03/2022 5:22 PM  #46

Steve. this may be drastic butt sometimes........
With the 66 up on the lift and the wheels off the ground keep adding(or subtracting) shims until it stops (or you run outta shims)
Get it to the point where it doesn't vibrate........then work from there.
There is bound to be a "spot" where it doesn't shake........ya just need to find it and work from that point!
6sally6

12/03/2022 7:45 PM  #47

MS wrote:

Quicksilver wrote:

Always been there. Even with a 302 and C4

Maybe it’s the roof oil canning at an 80mph resonance.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/03/2022 10:03 PM  #48

Give me a little credit guys

12/03/2022 10:58 PM  #49

Ive been all through this as well. Right now I have the car jacked up and the rear tires off. Before I took them off I spun the tires and one of them would not turn because the brake drum is out of round. One of the "new" wheels are bought is out of round Im pretty sure. They are going to the wheel shop to be checked. It's interesting that a T5 is common. Drive Shaft King told me to bring it in any time and he would show me it is not the drive shaft. I have yet to do that. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/05/2022 9:24 PM  #50

Maybe I should sink another $2k on wheels to see if that helps.
Did it with:
14x6 styled steel wheels with 205x70/14
15x7 Magnums with 225x60/15
15x7 styled steel with 225x60/15
16x7 2006 Mustang wheels with (don’t recall size)
17x7 & 17x8 Bullitts with 225 and 245/17

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.