FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2022 10:23 PM  #51

Re: Chasing that 80+mph vibration

MS wrote:

Maybe I should sink another $2k on wheels to see if that helps.
Did it with:
14x6 styled steel wheels with 205x70/14
15x7 Magnums with 225x60/15
15x7 styled steel with 225x60/15
16x7 2006 Mustang wheels with (don’t recall size)
17x7 & 17x8 Bullitts with 225 and 245/17

I've got those same Bullitt wheels and tires (fronts narrowed 1") and I don't have that shake at 80. That couldn't possibly be it..... :-)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/05/2022 10:32 PM  #52

I’d get a dial indicator and check axial and radial runout.  Pull the wheels off and check at the axle flanges/ brake disc or drum.  Could be out of whack from an old accident.  Even a stray hammer blow to the edge of an axle flange can keep a drum/rotor from laying flat on the axle flange.  Debris, crappy tolerances, damage.  Doesn’t take much at the axle flange to translate into something noticeable at the wheel / tire.

Last edited by Bentworker (12/05/2022 10:36 PM)

12/06/2022 6:18 AM  #53

MS wrote:

Maybe I should sink another $2k on wheels to see if that helps.
Did it with:
14x6 styled steel wheels with 205x70/14
15x7 Magnums with 225x60/15
15x7 styled steel with 225x60/15
16x7 2006 Mustang wheels with (don’t recall size)
17x7 & 17x8 Bullitts with 225 and 245/17

my 16x7 wheels have  215x55 and 225x55 tires

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (12/06/2022 6:19 AM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/09/2022 3:45 PM  #54

Bentworker wrote:

I’d get a dial indicator and check axial and radial runout.  Pull the wheels off and check at the axle flanges/ brake disc or drum.  Could be out of whack from an old accident.  Even a stray hammer blow to the edge of an axle flange can keep a drum/rotor from laying flat on the axle flange.  Debris, crappy tolerances, damage.  Doesn’t take much at the axle flange to translate into something noticeable at the wheel / tire.

You haven’t picked up on the earlier remnants of this thread. My car has had different axles, wheels, brakes, rear end housings and any other component you can dare to mention, all changed multiple times. Now, maybe the vibration was caused for fifteen years because something was THIS WAY and the last fifteen years caused by it being off THE OTHER WAY.  Things have been changed so much the baseline is long gone.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/09/2022 4:56 PM  #55

At least checking runout is cheap and easy.  Would take tens of minutes. 

Sometimes troubleshooting turns into reproving that the sky is blue.

12/09/2022 5:10 PM  #56

Bentworker wrote:

At least checking runout is cheap and easy.  Would take tens of minutes. 

I guess I am just tired of chasing the problem.  I need to get scientific about it. I understand there is a phone app for $5 that can measure vibration frequencies. Then just figure out what is turning that rpm frequency at 80 mph.

Part of the problem is I have to drive thirty minutes to get to a road where I can drive at high speed.  It just ties up too much time.

12/09/2022 6:04 PM  #57

Did this happen without subframe connectors?

Both normal length and MS extended length?

Can you feel any of this vibration in park at various RPM’s?

Last edited by Nos681 (12/09/2022 6:05 PM)

12/09/2022 10:00 PM  #58

Nos681 wrote:

Did this happen without subframe connectors?

Both normal length and MS extended length?

IT HAS ALWAYS DONE IT. BEFORE CONNECTORS AND AFTER.

I HAVE NOT SUCCEEDED AT GETTING THE CAR TO 80 MPH IN PARK.

12/10/2022 5:39 AM  #59

I have slammed a few up in park over the years after chasing cars well over 100 … it makes  a loud clicking sound as you stop.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

12/10/2022 6:55 AM  #60

MS wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

I HAVE NOT SUCCEEDED AT GETTING THE CAR TO 80 MPH IN PARK.

😂😂😂

Can you feel the vibration from back seat at 80 mph? 😁

Last edited by Nos681 (12/10/2022 6:58 AM)

12/10/2022 11:41 AM  #61

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I have slammed a few up in park over the years after chasing cars well over 100 … it makes a loud clicking sound as you stop.

LOL

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/10/2022 11:56 AM  #62

MS wrote:

Bentworker wrote:

At least checking runout is cheap and easy. Would take tens of minutes.

I guess I am just tired of chasing the problem. I need to get scientific about it. I understand there is a phone app for $5 that can measure vibration frequencies. Then just figure out what is turning that rpm frequency at 80 mph.

Part of the problem is I have to drive thirty minutes to get to a road where I can drive at high speed. It just ties up too much time.

I’ll add my vibration occurred before and after:
.  I changed to the MII front suspension (which included different spindles and all disc brake components)
.  I installed a new driveshaft that was checked for straightness and balanced.
.  I had the rear narrowed and new axles installed (with the same rear disc brake components)
.  I installed subframe connectors.
The only thing that seemed to reduce some vibration was installing a 2.5” exhaust to replace a 2”.

Although I’m also tired of chasing these vibrations, I’m going to get the rear end (9") rebuilt with new gears over the Winter and will post results.

12/10/2022 6:25 PM  #63

BobE wrote:

MS wrote:

Bentworker wrote:

The only thing that seemed to reduce some vibration was installing a 2.5” exhaust to replace a 2”.

BINGO!!!!.......IF replacing the 2" with 2 1/2" reduced the vib......
Imagine what would happen with open headerZ!!!
.........ZERO vib !!
(Workx fer me !!)

6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/13/2022 8:06 AM  #64

Just additional follow up on my Car's set up, I had the car on a lift this past weekend and the motor 
/trans are at 2.7, and the drive shaft was .7, and the pinion was 2.1, but down in the wrong direction. Now I added shims to rotate the pinion up and is now 2 degrees up. But the drive was so flat, that rotating the pinion up now has the drive shaft rising up towards the rear diff/pinion.

I believe MS is correct in the fact that the common issue is ride height. Like Steve, I love the stance and the way my car sets, but I may be willing to give that up for the lack of a vibration. The problem seems to be a combination of the T-5 setting lower and the rear differential being located hight into the body at the lower ride.

Information that would be nice to compare is those that truly do not have any vibration and run a T-5, what is the measurement between the rear wheel center cap and the fender lip. It won't Suprise me if everyone without a vibration set a couple inches higher than those of us who do have the vibration.

I bet this one doesn't vibrate

12/13/2022 11:09 AM  #65

Although I do have the vibration issue, my ride height (center of wheel hub to fender lip) is as follows:
Front: 12.25"
Rear: 13.5"

12/13/2022 11:28 AM  #66

BobE wrote:

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I have slammed a few up in park over the years after chasing cars well over 100 … it makes a loud clicking sound as you stop.

LOL

Hey, Wasn"t there a Barney Fife episode about that??

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

12/13/2022 11:29 AM  #67

Id do the go pro cam and try it on different locations on the car.  Get it up to speed.  Then you'd be able to see and hear where the problem might be. 

12/13/2022 6:36 PM  #68

kardad wrote:

Just additional follow up on my Car's set up, I had the car on a lift this past weekend and the motor 
/trans are at 2.7, and the drive shaft was .7, and the pinion was 2.1, but down in the wrong direction. Now I added shims to rotate the pinion up and is now 2 degrees up. But the drive was so flat, that rotating the pinion up now has the drive shaft rising up towards the rear diff/pinion.

I believe MS is correct in the fact that the common issue is ride height. Like Steve, I love the stance and the way my car sets, but I may be willing to give that up for the lack of a vibration. The problem seems to be a combination of the T-5 setting lower and the rear differential being located hight into the body

at the lower ride.

Information that would be nice to compare is those that truly do not have any vibration and run a T-5, what is the measurement between the rear wheel center cap and the fender lip. It won't Suprise me if everyone without a vibration set a couple inches higher than those of us who do have the vibration.

I bet this one doesn't vibrate

I'm not running a T5 but rather an AOD.  However mine also has the pinion yoke higher than the trans yoke.   This worried me a bit until I came to the conclusion that up or down, complimentary angles on the U-joints are complimentary angles.  I honestly don't think the drive shaft knows the difference.
Will try to get some  angle reads tomorrow but the Heap is anything but HiGH.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/14/2022 8:09 AM  #69

MY measurements are:
Rear 13" from wheel center to fender,
Front 11.75" from wheel center to fender,

12/23/2022 5:42 PM  #70

A friend of mine bought a new T5  series for his vett. The installation instructions says how to measure center line at the input shaft and to measure and shim the bell housing to the engine and the transmission. I never to know that nore did I do it

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/24/2022 10:36 AM  #71

HudginJ3 wrote:

A friend of mine bought a new T5  series for his vett. The installation instructions says how to measure center line at the input shaft and to measure and shim the bell housing to the engine and the transmission. I never to know that nore did I do it

Sounds like you mean to make sure the bellhousing is concentric with the crank centerline.  I went through that exercise and mine is within spec.

12/29/2022 10:57 AM  #72

I’m trying, It was new info to me.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/29/2022 9:29 PM  #73

I think it can be felt two lanes over…

1/05/2023 12:02 PM  #74

I’m to lazy to go back and re-read this thread and I can’t remember if you have tried a “Fluid damper” chasing the vibration.
The silicone filled damper seems to self adjust throughout the different rpm ranges.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/05/2023 1:40 PM  #75

The engine is balanced and is smooth to 7,200 rpm. Pretty sure this is a driveline issue

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.