FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2022 10:34 PM  #1

What is best tool to enlarge core support....

To install 24 inch radiator?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/07/2022 5:11 AM  #2

Re: What is best tool to enlarge core support....

Body saw or death wheel

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

10/07/2022 8:06 AM  #3

Patience

10/07/2022 8:38 AM  #4

I use 4” cutoff wheel on a Dewalt angle grinder for rough cut, then grind off the last 1/8” with a 60 grit flapper wheel.  I have also used a nibbler, but it is slower and less straight, requiring more effort with the flapper wheel. 
Using the disc cutoff, flapper and a steady hand, total time start to finish is about 15 minutes. When you get through it looks factory, with no sharp edges.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/07/2022 9:40 AM  #5

Gonna cut it as soon as engine comes out. May look into bigger A/C condenser to match up with bigger radiator too if I can figure out what size.

10/07/2022 5:57 PM  #6

If staying with the original system, and it blows cold air satisfactorily, I would leave the condenser alone and just build some nice, factory looking brackets to support it in the wider opening.  You may have to change the hard lines on the driver side to clear the larger opening/radiator. If so, that work might warrant a bigger condenser WYAIT.

10/07/2022 9:24 PM  #7

MS wrote:

If staying with the original system, and it blows cold air satisfactorily, I would leave the condenser alone and just build some nice, factory looking brackets to support it in the wider opening. You may have to change the hard lines on the driver side to clear the larger opening/radiator. If so, that work might warrant a bigger condenser WYAIT.

That was another reason thinking a larger would be easier to mount.

10/07/2022 11:12 PM  #8

MS wrote:

I use 4” cutoff wheel on a Dewalt angle grinder for rough cut, then grind off the last 1/8” with a 60 grit flapper wheel. I have also used a nibbler, but it is slower and less straight, requiring more effort with the flapper wheel.
Using the disc cutoff, flapper and a steady hand, total time start to finish is about 15 minutes. When you get through it looks factory, with no sharp edges.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE4012-Paddle-Switch-Grinder/dp/B00L42M4VQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2T72VHN3TPSC2&keywords=angle+grinder+dewalt&qid=1665204901&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjgwIiwicXNhIjoiMy43MCIsInFzcCI6IjMuNDIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=angle+grinder+dewalt%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

How about this one?

10/08/2022 7:36 AM  #9

I don’t like paddle switches, too hard to use when the tool is held at awkward angles.
I prefer slide on-off, mine is a Bosch.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/08/2022 3:02 PM  #10

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/08/2022 3:44 PM  #11

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

MS wrote:

I use 4” cutoff wheel on a Dewalt angle grinder for rough cut, then grind off the last 1/8” with a 60 grit flapper wheel. I have also used a nibbler, but it is slower and less straight, requiring more effort with the flapper wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE4012-Paddle-Switch-Grinder/dp/B00L42M4VQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2T72VHN3TPSC2&keywords=angle+grinder+dewalt&qid=1665204901&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjgwIiwicXNhIjoiMy43MCIsInFzcCI6IjMuNDIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=angle+grinder+dewalt%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

How about this one?

That is the one I have. I also have same type with on-off slide switch. Both have their places. I don’t use the on-off slide switch model in tight places or where a cutoff wheel might bind up because the tool doesn’t shut off if you let go of it. It is a safety thing. You get used to that toggle switch. Thumb on the safety lever then depress it with fingers. Or you can cut off the little thumb switch if you like living dangerously.

10/09/2022 8:17 AM  #12

This Milwaukee saw works very well, its compact and reversible to help control the sparks.  I used this with the engine in place.  I covered all the painted surfaces to keep the hot sparks from embedding in the paint https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukees-Cut-Off-Tool-Bare-2522-20/dp/B07H7SH6HC

10/09/2022 9:03 AM  #13

That is a really cool cutoff saw, Terry. Thanks for posting.  I have been wanting something that is more compact and easier to fit into cramped spaces.

10/09/2022 12:24 PM  #14

Billie, Do what I just did. Bought a new big block radiator shroud. Then I took and drilled out the 42 Holes with a special drill bit I bought on line. Now it is ready for your mechanic to spot weld the new shroud back in.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

10/09/2022 12:38 PM  #15

terry wrote:

This Milwaukee saw works very well, its compact and reversible to help control the sparks.  I used this with the engine in place.  I covered all the painted surfaces to keep the hot sparks from embedding in the paint https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukees-Cut-Off-Tool-Bare-2522-20/dp/B07H7SH6HC

Definitely thank you for that! One reviewer pretty much was spot on, it's a good middle ground between a 4" grinder and a dremel.

10/09/2022 3:54 PM  #16

terry wrote:

Terry have you cut much sheet metal on cars with it?

10/12/2022 10:36 PM  #17

ordered the dewalt angle grinder

10/14/2022 8:03 AM  #18

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

terry wrote:

Terry have you cut much sheet metal on cars with it?

I cut my radiator support with it!  It belongs to a body shop that a good friend operates, He has a great assortment of tools should I ever need one!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.