FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2013 7:40 PM  #1

Turn Signal Cancel

Hey All,

I've been reading some for the turn signal cancel.  My left signal stopped cancelling to the left recently after doing some work under the dash and I had to do move my steering column case (not the saft).  Anyway I read that perhaps I can adjust things so the the cancel will work again as it does to the right.  Befor I get in there, what should I be looking for.  It did work before I moved the column.

Thanks guys.
Richard.

9/01/2013 8:06 PM  #2

Re: Turn Signal Cancel

Loosen the housing and slide it towards the wheel, leaving just enough gap so that it still freely turns without scraping. If that doesn't work, loosen the housing and slide it towards the engine enough so that you can see if one of the plastic pieces broke off of the return mechanism. Much less likely, though I guess theoretically possible if it is not either of the two listed things is that the cancelling 'pin' broke off of the steering wheel itself. That said, I've never heard of that happening.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

9/01/2013 8:11 PM  #3

I'm leaning towards an adjustment because it does cancel turn signals to the right and every now and then it does cancel turns signals to the left.  Its on my list of things to do tomorrow. 

after that I think I'll take on my horn.  Get that working.. Then I only have the neutral safety switch and the back up lights.  Then EVERYTHING on the car will work as it should.  Then I can tear it down for paint when I buy a new daily car, since my mustang is still my daily.  Its been a interesting summer to say the least.

I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks guys.

9/01/2013 8:15 PM  #4

richard
That happened on mine, if you slide that column to far down it wont cancel the turn signals, if you slide it up too far the horn will honk AT WILL, usually as your turning a corner in front of some ugly fat chick!! 

9/01/2013 8:34 PM  #5

terry wrote:

richard
That happened on mine, if you slide that column to far down it wont cancel the turn signals, if you slide it up too far the horn will honk AT WILL, usually as your turning a corner in front of some ugly fat chick!! 

I should totally not laugh at that, but guilty, I did.  Shame on me.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

9/01/2013 9:01 PM  #6

hahah..

OK.. I'll be sure to test it before I leave the hood.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.