FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2013 8:03 PM  #1

1999-2004 gt/v6 front brakes on classic mustang

Has anybody tried putting these on a1966 mustang? Maybe use them with cobra rotors with steves kit. thinking the dual 44mm calipers would even be better than the cobra dual 38mm calipers.

9/01/2013 9:39 PM  #2

Re: 1999-2004 gt/v6 front brakes on classic mustang

Hub flange is too large to go inside the back cavity of the smaller rotor.  Machining them down reduces the margin around the studs too small.  Later model studs have much smaller knurl on them so the holes are not as large, making the margin larger, plus the hubs are alot thicker.

It can be done, but I do not think it is worth the risk of cracking the hub and having studs come loose.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/02/2013 5:29 AM  #3

Hub flange is too large to go inside the back cavity of the smaller rotor. Machining them down reduces the margin around the studs too small. Later model studs have much smaller knurl on them so the holes are not as large, making the margin larger, plus the hubs are alot thicker.
 I'm confused???
I might have discribed my idea wrong. I was thinking using these calipers with the 66 drum hub and cobra rotors like your kit uses. Am I wrong in thinking your kit uses cobra rotors? My thought was they're more plentiful than cobra calipers and junk yards won't stick it to ya on cobra ones.

9/02/2013 10:53 AM  #4

Rotors are smaller on non cobra so calipers are poitioned closer to axle.  This would require a custom bracket but is doable IF the rotor thickness is same.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.