FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2022 5:24 PM  #1

2011 LINCOLN MKX

anyone replace a water pump on on of these fine piece of work dura tec engines, 3.5 or 3.7? seems i can not find the information i am wanting. does the power steering pump need to come off and if so how? does the alternator need to come off too? i always thought id like on of these engines in my falcon, NOT ANY MORE!!! what engineer puts a water pump inside the engine? got to be one of the most stupid ideas i've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!

10/23/2022 10:20 AM  #2

Re: 2011 LINCOLN MKX

Like the SBF timing cover?
Water flowing through an oil cover. 😁
Neither is a great design.

Might want to ask this question under tech section.

10/23/2022 3:23 PM  #3

nothing at all like a small block ford. when the water pump fails, it will develop a leak externally, some of the time. but it will dump the anti freeze in the oil pan to. i told my wife after i get this fixed, that is "IF" i get this fixed. i am considering getting rid of it and buying something where people who design where not idiots. anyone who thinks the 3.5 and 3.7 ford engines are great are preeminent idiots.

10/23/2022 3:55 PM  #4

I did an internet search on this...you'll be taking a multitude of parts off to reach the buried h2o pumpy.  Upper and lower intake, harmonic balancer,timing chain cover, which is thin and fragile, pluse time chains and associated components....there's more to remove...thus are just the high points. 
I have no personal experience with this, nor do I want any.

Might be better for your stress level  to just find the design engineer and administer a wood shampoo....

10/23/2022 5:48 PM  #5

for those of you who think this engine is a good transplant for your classic, take my word for it, PITA. the videos on line show how and what to replace but i've yet to find one that says anything about all the external componets that need to be removed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.