FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2023 6:16 PM  #1

Vintage stove question…by a Ford guy

What is the purpose of the 120v receptacle on the stove.
Located near center of stove.

I have my theories, before my time when this one was made…maybe?

1/22/2023 6:54 PM  #2

Re: Vintage stove question…by a Ford guy

Cell phone charger outlet? Probably to plug in something like a hand mixer to mash potatoes on the stove.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/22/2023 8:19 PM  #3

Back in the day all electric stoves had an electrical outlet.
Just another convenient receptacle.
The last couple we had didn’t have them probably cost cutting.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/22/2023 9:21 PM  #4

The house I grew up in was built at the turn of the century, the previous one not this one,
The electricity came into the place through a covered disconnect knife switch with a single 20 amp glass fuse, for the whole house.
All wiring was knob and tube and the kitchen had only two wall outlets that were just a foot or so off the floor on opposite walls.
The stove outlets could have been a bonus but we had a gas stov that had to be lit with a match.
Other than an electric kettle I don’t remember my mom having any electrical appliances.
Isn’t modern life great!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/23/2023 5:44 AM  #5

Probably just a convenience outlet.  As Americans have started using more and more electrical devices the American home has needed more and more outlets.  In the interest of not causing house fires the electrical code keeps getting updated so circuits aren't overloaded, and circuits near water are protected from a sudden short so no one gets electrocuted. 

They don't have them now because current code provides multiple outlets in a kitchen.  I believe its also code now (or its just common practice) that there are two circuits for the outlets.  By code they must also be GFCI protected via either the first outlet in line from the panel or a GFCI breaker in the panel.  In years past it wasn't uncommon for houses to have only a handful of breakers often on a 100 or 150 amp service.  Now houses are built with 30-42 space 200 amp panels which are mostly full.  In the last 10 years they also added arc fault breakers to protect most other circuits.  IMO the pendulum has swung well past the point of safety and common sense to absurdity and exorbitant cost.  15 years ago a 200 amp panel full of breakers was about $200-$300.  Today its $800-$1,000.  I don't think we're any safer, and there can be issues trying to run anything with an electric motor on an arc fault circuit, since electric motors throw an arc.  All those breaker companies are sure making money though. 

1/23/2023 9:36 AM  #6

This is a propane stove.
It has 120 vac to run clock, lights, and a receptacle.

My mom’s electric mixer would easily drop voltage when it started…kinda like her sewing machine.

The only things I could think of were coffee pot, griddle, mixer, and of course a blender.
Just thought the placement in center of stove was the odd location.

Some codes make sense, others are way overkill to me.
I call it the “Brother-in-law” theory, someone’s B-I-L makes those GFCI’s.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/23/2023 9:41 AM)

1/23/2023 1:14 PM  #7

Thats a dual butter knife holder LtDan...........try it out...

1/23/2023 2:04 PM  #8

josh-kebob wrote:

Sound to me like an AF guy giving advice to a Navy guy.... butt I may be reading too much into it....

Back when that stove was new, pluging it in took up one of two outlets in the kitchen, so it was just giving you back what you lost by plugging in the stove.

Last edited by TimC (1/23/2023 2:08 PM)

1/23/2023 5:14 PM  #9

As others have posted, my guess it is a convenience receptacle from a era when there weren't many receptacles in the kitchen.  The house I grew up in and the two houses I've owned were similarly equipped. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/23/2023 6:55 PM  #10

The house I grew-up-in had plenty of receptacles for each room....(counting the ones in the light hanging from the ceiling)
I sorta miss running and jumping up and grabbing the pull chain to turn the light on...
"it could be jus me.......I don't know!"
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/23/2023 8:54 PM  #11

Grandmas stove had two of them. The stove plugged into the receptacle located way to the back of the wall where you couldn't reach. Which only left just two others in the rest of the kit, to plug into.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

1/24/2023 10:36 AM  #12

TimC wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Sound to me like an AF guy giving advice to a Navy guy.... butt I may be reading too much into it....

Back when that stove was new, pluging it in took up one of two outlets in the kitchen, so it was just giving you back what you lost by plugging in the stove.

One in each hand? 😂

1/24/2023 11:58 AM  #13

Nos681 wrote:

TimC wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

One in each hand? 😂

Thats the theory.....test and post results...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.