FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2023 1:30 PM  #1

"Mild" 302 Build

Ignoring the part where they add nitrous I thought it was a good write up on a nice performing and very streetable 302. Seems like a lot of folks here and other places look for a wallet friendly engine that has good manners and decent power. Seems like this would be a lot of fun with a 5 speed.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/make-503hp-with-a-350-junkyard-302/?wc_mid=4035:24313&wc_rid=4035:268402&_wcsid=4D320A4A073C06A3EF97E8EE2C6599DDBB3736D8CB65C360

2/20/2023 3:48 PM  #2

Re: "Mild" 302 Build

I have a mild 302 sitting in my living room . Bored to a 306 with 9 3/4 compression, all ARP bolts inside and out, completely balanced with Edelbrock heads, roller rockers and 303E cam. Air Gap intake and Holley 670 carburetor, Hookers, MSD distributor, powermaster starter and alternator all with a five speed transmission waiting to be dropped into the fastback in the garage. Makes a great conversation piece though.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/20/2023 4:42 PM  #3

Quicksilver wrote:

I have a mild 302 sitting in my living room . Bored to a 306 with 9 3/4 compression, all ARP bolts inside and out, completely balanced with Edelbrock heads, roller rockers and 303E cam. Air Gap intake and Holley 670 carburetor, Hookers, MSD distributor, powermaster starter and alternator all with a five speed transmission waiting to be dropped into the fastback in the garage. Makes a great conversation piece though.

You must not be married.....my wife would throw a s**t fit if I even mentioned having an engine in my living room...Also that much weight on small wheels would play Hell with the hardwood floors..

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/20/2023 4:45 PM  #4

Basically another junkyard bomb.  You can definitely build a respectable 5.0 engine on the cheap, but this isn't IMO how to do it.  First, I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER bolt go fast parts on a used engine no matter how good it looks.  At this point those engines are 20 years old.  20 years of Lord knows what in terms of use and maintenance.  You can't build a house on a bad foundation.  Building an engine is no different.  At 120k, what you have is a well seasoned core.  Blow it apart, bore it 0.030" over and load it with good pistons, rings, and bearings. Ring seal is the most important thing in an engine.  All the go fast parts on Earth won't save your build if the rings leak.  Then put some ARP bolts in the stock rods if you aren't going to zing it to the moon and the big ends are round, otherwise just get a cheapie set of aftermarket rods.  Get it balanced for 50oz imbalance flywheel and balancer.  If you think the mileage is accurate you could probably reuse the lifters and just stab a cam in it.  The E cam is decent, but its 40 year old technology.  For close to the same money you can get a better cam from Crane, etc. by talking to their tech department. 

The GT40Ps are a great iron head.  They do accurately describe the work you'll need to do to them.  They probably aren't worth porting though.  By the time you are that deep into them you can buy entry level aluminum head that flows better out of the box and already has better valves and springs.  Edelbrock would be my go to for something like this. 

If you want to run nitrous like this, that's fine, but without forged pistons this thing will die an unhappy death once you start pushing it.  Mustang 5.0s in certain years had factory forged pistons.  I've seen guys throw a 200 shot on them repeatedly without failure.  That won't happen with hypereutectics, not for very long.  Cast pistons you'd have to really like playing Russian roulette with a semi-auto.  The ring end gaps start to get sketchy at that kind of shot too.

To that end, great as studs and MLS gaskets are you will eventually pop a gasket if you don't o-ring the heads.  Naturally aspirated it would live forever like that, but the instantaneous cylinder pressure spike you get from nitrous or a blower you are just asking fro trouble. 

My thoughts on magazine builds is they are done to prove a point, make a great cover shot to sell the rag, or as a shill to show how good free parts they got from advertisers are.  My thought on any engine I build is that it must make x power for a realistic budget of y.  Power is important, but longevity much more so as I do so hate doing things twice. I'd rather spend another $700-$1,000 and not have to worry about it. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (2/20/2023 4:47 PM)

2/20/2023 5:47 PM  #5

They had me at  “carburetor”.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/20/2023 6:36 PM  #6

MS wrote:

They had me at “carburetor”.

big 750

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/20/2023 7:43 PM  #7

I wish mine had 300 hp

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/20/2023 8:12 PM  #8

Quote:You must not be married.....my wife would throw a s**t fit if I even mentioned having an engine in my living room...Also that much weight on small wheels would play Hell with the hardwood floors..

Nope, wife passed about 12 years ago. And now no body around to tell me I can't bring my hobbies inside. The rubber wheels don't even put a dent in the oak floor .See, There was the garage, then a couple of buddy's came over. then we got to drinking beer, one of the guys saw the front door. The rest is history! Nothing fancy, just something to get from point A to point B someday.
I have to agree with TKO's statement about the engine. Seams like several articles are written around used parts filled in with sponsor parts, then ran on a dyno. Got to wonder how many don't make it to the article section because of catastrophic failure

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/20/2023 8:50 PM  #9

WOW !
I guess I AM the camshaft guru !!!!

My grind numbers....230-236 duration @050
                                      450 Lift
                                  108* LSA  (gives great low end torque)
Mine was a junk yard engine too butt.....'most everything' in it was up-graded !!
These magazine builds were great when I was in my 20-30-40-50's   butt now.......no so much
Thanx for posting though Ray !
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (2/20/2023 8:50 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/21/2023 2:02 AM  #10

Quicksilver wrote:

Quote:You must not be married.....my wife would throw a s**t fit if I even mentioned having an engine in my living room...Also that much weight on small wheels would play Hell with the hardwood floors..

Nope, wife passed about 12 years ago. And now no body around to tell me I can't bring my hobbies inside. The rubber wheels don't even put a dent in the oak floor .See, There was the garage, then a couple of buddy's came over. then we got to drinking beer, one of the guys saw the front door. The rest is history! Nothing fancy, just something to get from point A to point B someday.
I have to agree with TKO's statement about the engine. Seams like several articles are written around used parts filled in with sponsor parts, then ran on a dyno. Got to wonder how many don't make it to the article section because of catastrophic failure

My apologies. I am sorry for your loss. Being single then allows you certain liberties, like engines in the front room. 

2/21/2023 6:28 PM  #11

My wife has been there.

2/21/2023 8:32 PM  #12

Way back in the day when I built the Model A Boat-tail car, she allowed the freshly chromed parts under the bed...but I still hear about it occasionally.  Today, engine in the house....hmmm, I'm thinking that ain't gonna happen. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/22/2023 9:58 AM  #13

Just saw this article on building a "Junkyard 302", thought it may be of interest ... 

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/make-503hp-with-a-350-junkyard-302

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/22/2023 11:33 AM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

Way back in the day when I built the Model A Boat-tail car, she allowed the freshly chromed parts under the bed...but I still hear about it occasionally.  Today, engine in the house....hmmm, I'm thinking that ain't gonna happen. 

Yea, I kinda miss being yelled at for doin dumb things like that, butt hey it's clean and no oil drips, and the fenders serve as a kitty house in the corner. I have a small garage so I don't want scratches.

2/22/2023 6:45 PM  #15

Haven't had an engine in the living room since we rebuilt my room mates VW engine back in school days. Jacked it up, dropped the motor and the 2 of us carried it upstairs to our apartment. I'm sure I have a picture of it somewhere. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/22/2023 7:41 PM  #16

Quicksilver wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Yea, I kinda miss being yelled at for doin dumb things like that, butt hey it's clean and no oil drips, and the fenders serve as a kitty house in the corner. I have a small garage so I don't want scratches.

Well, you're in good company. As I recall, Tom Cruise had a small block torn apart in his apartment in War of the Worlds. He also had a Hertz GT 350 in that movie.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.