FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2023 8:26 AM  #1

Induction heat tool

Do any of you have experience with induction heat tools like the Bolt Buster?  I do not own a blue tipped wrench, but I am contemplating getting an induction heat tool to free up seized bolts.  Any feedback on name brand vs half price overseas versions?  Hobby use, not daily professional use.

3/02/2023 8:32 AM  #2

Re: Induction heat tool

No direct experience.  The Bolt Buster was the highest reviewed, but its also $474 on Amazon.  For that price you could basically buy a mini oxy acetylene torch kit with bottles brand new.  The second option was less than half that though.  Any reason you want to go this route instead of a torch?  Asking because you may be able to find a used torch at a reasonable cost.  Even if it needed some parts, those are cheap (tips, etc.). 

3/02/2023 9:35 AM  #3

We have one at work.
It’s only been used a couple of times.

The way it works.
Remember how you can magnetize a screwdriver with a piece of wire and connect across your battery?
Same exact principle.

The one at work has a regulated 10 amp power supply (as I recall), and various different sized pre-made coils that connect like the old 100w soldering guns that have a trigger on/off switch.

This is how most public works thaw out frozen water pipes in winter (current run through steel pipes).

I think they are over priced.

The various different sized adapters have the high temperature wire sleeves like what you see on electric motors and high temperature environments.

I think we have used the one at work perhaps 3 times in over 10 years.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/02/2023 11:04 AM)

3/02/2023 10:23 AM  #4

I have no experience with induction heat tools  but I agree with TKO … seems a oxy-acetylene setup would offer many other uses besides rusted bolts, and would be a better investment in the long run.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/02/2023 11:12 AM  #5

I know that there are videos about using a microwave transformer to build a welder, so I wondered if there were any videos about using them to build an induction heater.  I did find a 5 part series that does just this.  Watching this taught me that I would not want to build a DIY induction heater myself because it can go SOUTH way too easily.  But it also gave me a real respect for the speed at which an induction heater can heat an object.  It is an interesting watch if you care to invest a little time.  I'll post part 1 below and it will lead you to the following video parts as you watch them.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/02/2023 11:47 AM  #6

What about a MAPP gas hand held torch?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/05/2023 4:20 PM  #7

I have one that I think is 500 watts. Was bought to put the tamper seals on the top of bottles like pill bottles. It came with a test coil that I have uset to heat tubing and shafts for shrink fits and such. I got a little too close once and both the lenses fell out of my safety glasses when the frames heated up. I use my torch set!!

3/07/2023 5:16 PM  #8

I had an opportunity today to take some pictures of the induction heater at work.
Kind of like the various uses…according to sales information.
Especially the bearing heater and silicone heat pad for sticker/body trim piece removal.

Perhaps one of our Electrical gurus would be willing to make one and share in the “How to” section.
The pre-made coils appear to be stainless ( of course could not find a magnet in the shop this morning).
The flexible coil is like a heavy flexible ground braid wire.

I may try to repair a copper/brass heater core with this thing.
Just need some high temp jumpers with clamps.

Back in mid 90’s, I remember looking at the 10 amp power supply at the radiator shop.
It was about the size of a 12/24 battery charger in a small box with welding cables attached to it.

120 volt
10 amps

Last edited by Nos681 (3/07/2023 5:33 PM)

3/07/2023 5:44 PM  #9

Here’s exactly what I would do.

It’s the old soldering gun with a coil on it.
Not like they were really good for soldering to start with at all.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/07/2023 5:46 PM)

3/08/2023 8:29 AM  #10

If I were you, I would just borrow the tool from work!

I need to pull the bed on my rust belt truck.  There are 8 bolts.  I have soaked them a few times, and am about to go break the heads off (LOL).

One of my co-workers used to be a service writer at a reputable auto repair shop.  He told me about the induction heaters, and said they used it every day.  I am still skeptical about successfully getting 8 bed bolts out of nutserts.  Time will tell.

MAPP gas has not been made since 2008, and the replacement MAP gas is barely hotter than propane, which was useless when I replaced a leaf spring shackle last month.  If this were a bowtie forum, I would keep you updated.

3/08/2023 3:00 PM  #11

I got all 8 out of my '06 F250 without cutting or breaking a single one.  I use Kroil and heat where needed.  The biggest issue I had was they are Torx head and you need a proper impact rated Torx bit for it or you will shatter the standard ones. 

3/08/2023 4:29 PM  #12

I used MAP gas and a spray bottle of water (stream settling) to break loose the broken studs on my shorty headers with engine in the 92.  It definitely got the studs hot.  The torch head had a nice pencil flame to focus on the studs.  I only went to a low red glow before shocking it.  I had barely enough to grab with Vise Grips…basically the unthreaded section of the stud.

It probably would have been easier to remove the headers.  I just didn’t want to open up the can of worms of broken header bolts at the time.  I already had the transmission out for clutch replacement that started the ordeal.

3/09/2023 5:30 AM  #13

I used to try all kinds of stuff to remove broken bolts or studs.  A bit over 20 years ago my neighbor showed me the best method: weld a nut to it.  The heat from welding loosens the remaining fastener, and you get a hex head so you can put a wrench or socket on.  Every other method I ever tried had at best 50/50 results.  I can't remember the weld a nut to it technique ever failing.  The moral is the same, heat is your friend. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.