FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2023 6:57 PM  #1

East Coast road trip coming soon

Well the 65 coupe is ready and I am ready but the date is 50 days away. Cant wait to drive that new motor for 8000 miles round trip in 25 days. The whole car is new now and running so well. Needs to streach its legs.   Going to be a blast. Will see Mike & wife around the 23 of may, cant wait.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/18/2023 7:25 PM  #2

Re: East Coast road trip coming soon

Sounds like a fun trip.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/18/2023 8:12 PM  #3

Cab4word67 wrote:

Well the 65 coupe is ready and I am ready but the date is 50 days away. Cant wait to drive that new motor for 8000 miles round trip in 25 days. The whole car is new now and running so well. Needs to streach its legs.   Going to be a blast. Will see Mike & wife around the 23 of may, cant wait.

Thats what its all about.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/18/2023 11:40 PM  #4

Can you share your route with us?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/19/2023 1:55 PM  #5

Hi everyone, Here is my route as of today. Starting out in Portland Or.
leaving on a Thursday, we will head out to Reno NV, from there to Las Vegas on the 6-7th to see grand kids.
on the 8th we will hit the road again to the grand canyon then out hwy 40 east. not sure where we will stay that night somewhere from Flagstaff to Holbrook AZ, it depends on how I feel driving. I can do a 600 mile run to MT without any problems including almost 2hrs of stops for gas,pee,streching ect. So untill I do this leg I wont know how far I can go per day. Anyway here is my plan
Portland to Reno, Reno to Vegas, Vegas to Flagstaff or more on hwy 40, then to Amarillo, then Russellville, to Nashville. Then down to Dallas GA on the 12th to see a friend then off to Eriwn NC for 5 days with family, then off to NY to see the city with an old friend. Back to NC 3 days later. Spend a couple days then head down to SC to see (mike) 6sally6 and spend the night. Then we will head North NW and work are way through Kentucky (friend stop maybe) , Iowa, Mt Rushmore and into Montana for more family. Spend a couple days and be home in 10 hrs I figure 3 weeks but if it takes more its fine. 8K+ 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/19/2023 2:02 PM  #6

And I got my Iphone sinked with my Sony so now I have radio, USB tunes, Pandora, Spotify, & amazon music. or turn it off and listen to my lovely wife.

3/19/2023 2:15 PM  #7

Being the car is like new now here are some things I packed in the trunk just in case. Will be running on Amsoil 10-30. also sync tranny and amsoil 75-110 sever in diff. 
old working ele fan just because, working 3G alt, new belts, oil, filter, 2 gal water, trans fluid, power steering fluid, good u joints, upper hose, Tools  to do most everything like special wrench's I've made and a space saver Honda Previa spare tire. Heck I even left room for the cooler and bags of clothes. Problily some over kill in there but then if you have it you likely wont need it. The trunk is going to be the pack mule for the trip.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (3/19/2023 4:49 PM)

3/19/2023 3:20 PM  #8

Sounds like fun! I hope you have an uneventful trip, but sometimes they are the fun part.
Take lots of pics and be safe.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/19/2023 6:17 PM  #9

Sounds like fun. Longest trip I've done with Christine was 4,400 miles. Minor breakdowns with electrical parts that were each less than 6 months old. Starter, coil, and condenser. I carried the spare parts, except for the starter which I forgot at home. I hope the weather behaves for you.

3/19/2023 7:37 PM  #10

Be sure and see the Cadillac Grave Yard ...........in "Armadillo",TEXAS . (Take some spray paint)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/19/2023 8:40 PM  #11

Cab4word67 wrote:

Hi everyone, Here is my route as of today. Starting out in Portland Or.
leaving on a Thursday, we will head out to Reno NV, from there to Las Vegas on the 6-7th to see grand kids.
on the 8th we will hit the road again to the grand canyon then out hwy 40 east. not sure where we will stay that night somewhere from Flagstaff to Holbrook AZ, it depends on how I feel driving. I can do a 600 mile run to MT without any problems including almost 2hrs of stops for gas,pee,streching ect. So untill I do this leg I wont know how far I can go per day. Anyway here is my plan
Portland to Reno, Reno to Vegas, Vegas to Flagstaff or more on hwy 40, then to Amarillo, then Russellville, to Nashville. Then down to Dallas GA on the 12th to see a friend then off to Eriwn NC for 5 days with family, then off to NY to see the city with an old friend. Back to NC 3 days later. Spend a couple days then head down to SC to see (mike) 6sally6 and spend the night. Then we will head North NW and work are way through Kentucky (friend stop maybe) , Iowa, Mt Rushmore and into Montana for more family. Spend a couple days and be home in 10 hrs I figure 3 weeks but if it takes more its fine. 8K+ 

I am not far from Dallas Ga was there last week.

3/19/2023 8:56 PM  #12

If anything goes sideways on your Portland to Reno trip I am about dead in the middle of those two places.  If you cut over to Reno on 89 from 5 keep your head on a constant swivel for wildlife.  bear, deer, fox, coyotes, turkeys….

3/20/2023 4:51 AM  #13

Have a great time.  Now that is one heck uv a trip in 25ish days.

3/20/2023 5:01 AM  #14

I'm guessing you'll run up I95 from NC to NY.  I'm all of 15 minutes off I95 in DE.  If you get stuck or just want to stop in let me know. 

3/20/2023 6:17 AM  #15

That sounds like an awesome trip!! 🤠
When travelling down I40, remember to try and get off and take in the remnants of Route 66. I drove from NC to SoCal some years back in my Mustang and did this, as well as taking in Hoover dam, the Grand Canyon and other sites. I loved every minute of the trip.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/20/2023 8:03 AM  #16

I'm sure there enough of us on the east side that can help if there a problem. There to many things to see and do along the way. It would take us months for a trip like that. 
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

3/20/2023 10:53 AM  #17

WOW, thanks for the replies I didnt expect so many of you to be anywhere close to my trip. I will have to go over my trip and see if I can get closer to some of you guys. The 25 days is just a estimate because I have never done this before. and dont have to be back at any givin time. 

3/20/2023 11:04 AM  #18

When are you going...are you talking about april?

3/20/2023 11:50 AM  #19

Cab4word67 wrote:

WOW, thanks for the replies I didnt expect so many of you to be anywhere close to my trip. I will have to go over my trip and see if I can get closer to some of you guys. The 25 days is just a estimate because I have never done this before. and dont have to be back at any givin time. 

You can use the MS basic theory on your trip.
It will take twice as long and cost twice as much.🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/20/2023 12:24 PM  #20

Forget Mt. Rushmore, and go see Devils Tower, IMO

3/20/2023 2:23 PM  #21

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Trips is first of May

3/20/2023 2:28 PM  #22

Cab4word67 wrote:

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Trips is first of May

I  will see if I am off those days you are in Dallas Ga and try to say hi.

3/20/2023 2:56 PM  #23

I'm about 25 miles north of NYC, if you have the time, or need anything, let me know.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/20/2023 3:03 PM  #24

TimC wrote:

Forget Mt. Rushmore, and go see Devils Tower, IMO

I guess it's like paint, subjective. I had no desire to see Mt Rushmore, but was blown away when I saw it. Same with the Grand Canyon, crazy impressive.

3/20/2023 3:38 PM  #25

Do you have a pass for entry into the National Parks?  If not already, You can get a veteran lifetime pass or purchase a senior lifetime pass as better deals than other entrance fees.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.