FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2023 11:18 AM  #1

Run Only Wire Somewhere?

Looking for 12v in 'Run' mode only. Ignition switch has Run/Start and Run/Acc. Anywhere to find 12v in Run only mode?
Wanting to use this 12v to enable relays. So far I these modes identified:
12v in Run/Start
12v in Run/Acc
12v in Start Only
12v in Acc

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/26/2023 5:44 PM  #2

Re: Run Only Wire Somewhere?

Not too 'heavy' on war'in butt.....how bout off the alternator?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/26/2023 6:04 PM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

The alternator is where I took my relay trigger wire for my electric choke.  I only want the electric choke powered if the motor is actually running.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/27/2023 8:39 PM  #4

Rufus68 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

The alternator is where I took my relay trigger wire for my electric choke.  I only want the electric choke powered if the motor is actually running.

I have a 3G alternator installed. Do you have a stock alternator with an external regulator?

3/27/2023 10:08 PM  #5

KeithP wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

I have a 3G alternator installed. Do you have a stock alternator with an external regulator?

I also have a 3G alternator.  The 3G alternator has a stator wire.  It is this wire:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/28/2023 1:54 PM  #6

I made a schematic (not a wire diagram) for the 66 and found no RUN only contact in the car. Using the stator as mentioned above is a good idea if you only what it on when the engine is turning.
I've never measured a 3G, but I did measure the voltage on my 1G alternator with a scope and found a sawtooth wave with a mean of 6.8v. It required the use of a 6v relay- something like a Potter & Brumfield 1432873-1 relay, which has a 6v coil and 40 amp contacts, and you could drive your 12v relays from that. If you want the schematic follow this link and help yourself to any of the information there: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

3/28/2023 2:13 PM  #7

With the new engine I am getting from BluePrint Engines it has the CVF serpentine setup. I looked at the CVF kit online and it comes a 1 wire alternator. There are no other connections to the alternator. 

3/28/2023 2:40 PM  #8

KeithP wrote:

With the new engine I am getting from BluePrint Engines it has the CVF serpentine setup. I looked at the CVF kit online and it comes a 1 wire alternator. There are no other connections to the alternator. 

Some of the classic Mustangs use an oil pressure light- the sender senses oil pressure and closes a switch. It would require adding a second sender (I assume), and if you are so inclined. Since the switch ratings aren't known I would probably use the sender to drive a relay and use that to trigger the other relays if you are worried about the load on the sender.
Edit, I found a post by Woodchuck on another forum where he says to use a "dual port oil pressure extension". Scott Drake makes these among others. The switch he recommends is AC Delco D1811 oil pressure switch.
In another post I found a guy that used a three terminal switch (SPDT) used on a 74 Chevy Vega- oil pressure switch, which he called part number AC 61809. I found it in a search for 74 Vega oil pressure switch but it didn't have that part number, although it was three terminal, so it had common, NO, and NC. The vega part was used in a 7.5A circuit and the D1811 was used to run an electric choke, so either of these should be able to power your relays directly.

Last edited by Mach1Driver (3/28/2023 5:58 PM)

3/28/2023 9:35 PM  #9

Mach1Driver wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Some of the classic Mustangs use an oil pressure light- the sender senses oil pressure and closes a switch. It would require adding a second sender (I assume), and if you are so inclined. Since the switch ratings aren't known I would probably use the sender to drive a relay and use that to trigger the other relays if you are worried about the load on the sender.
Edit, I found a post by Woodchuck on another forum where he says to use a "dual port oil pressure extension". Scott Drake makes these among others. The switch he recommends is AC Delco D1811 oil pressure switch.
In another post I found a guy that used a three terminal switch (SPDT) used on a 74 Chevy Vega- oil pressure switch, which he called part number AC 61809. I found it in a search for 74 Vega oil pressure switch but it didn't have that part number, although it was three terminal, so it had common, NO, and NC. The vega part was used in a 7.5A circuit and the D1811 was used to run an electric choke, so either of these should be able to power your relays directly.

This is getting way too complicated. I see that Ford has 'ON" on the ignition bezel. I will now use 'ON' instead of 'Run'. I will probably just wire the proposed relays to the 'ON/ACC' trigger. God or Ford intended it that way, so who am I to change that?

3/29/2023 5:53 AM  #10

KeithP wrote:

This is getting way too complicated. I see that Ford has 'ON" on the ignition bezel. I will now use 'ON' instead of 'Run'. I will probably just wire the proposed relays to the 'ON/ACC' trigger. God or Ford intended it that way, so who am I to change that?

Agreed, in the future just be careful what you ask for ;)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.