FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2023 8:35 AM  #1

Re-drilling new axle hubs - DIY or machine shop?

So I finally got my new Yukon 9" axles back after having a local shop press the bearings on, and when I mocked them up with my Crown Vic rear brakes for the first time, I realized that the bolt pattern is wrong... 5x5.5 instead of 5x4.5.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I think the hubs can be re-drilled with the correct pattern, but I'm not sure if that's a DIY job, or if I should have a machinist do it. I have a benchtop drill press and I'm sure I can get the right drill bit, but I'm not a machinist and I don't want to screw up a brand new set of axles.

Thoughts?

5/25/2023 9:51 AM  #2

Re: Re-drilling new axle hubs - DIY or machine shop?

Have a shop that has the proper indexing tools do it.
Also, it sounds like you have truck axles which have larger diameter flanges. Be sure the flanges will fit inside your rotors before you get the machining work done.  Also, be sure the stubs on the ends of the axles will fit inside the center hole of your rotors. You might need to get all three items machined if they are incorrect.

While, hopefully your stubs correctly index and center the rotors, if the studs are mispositioned in the slightest amount, there will always be problems with wheel fitment and possible imbalance issues.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/25/2023 12:01 PM  #3

Thanks MS, that's what I thought. I'll bring the lugs and one of my rotors with me as well. As it is, they do fit inside the rotors, but it's tight and I'm not sure they are completely flat against inner face.

5/25/2023 12:50 PM  #4

Yes, absolute next thing to do is check your paperwork, and check your part #s to make sure you have exactly what you ordered.  ie proper spline count, etc. Then have a machine shop modify them if that is your last resort. 

This one is a difficult call.   If nothing is fault of vendor,  shipping/return/exchange eating a set of bearings vs. further cost of modifying.

Good luck!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/25/2023 12:52 PM  #5

Sometimes on front disc conversions, grinding a chamfer on the OD of the flange gives enough clearance for the rotor to sit flat. 
I recommend Dorman 610-441 wheel studs to give extra length for your disc rotors.
MustangSteve has them or you can order at OReilly.

5/25/2023 1:06 PM  #6

Before you modify them do like the other's mentioned and check all the measurements. Two items especially are the brake offset as the truck is quite a bit different than cars. I'd also check the hub register as that is waaaaay larger than cars as well.

5/25/2023 2:07 PM  #7

Well, I called all of my local machine shops and none of them wanted the job (too many problems with that sort of thing), so I guess I'm buying another set of axles. I messaged Yukon support about the problem last night, but haven't heard back from them yet. Incidentally, I bought these from Yukon's Amazon shop which made no mention of bolt patterns other than in the "Q&A" section at the bottom of the item description, where someone asked about that and was told that they are drilled for multiple patterns - must have been for a different product, I hate that about Amazon.

Anybody need a brand new set of axles? 

5/25/2023 2:26 PM  #8

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

Well, I called all of my local machine shops and none of them wanted the job (too many problems with that sort of thing), so I guess I'm buying another set of axles. I messaged Yukon support about the problem last night, but haven't heard back from them yet. Incidentally, I bought these from Yukon's Amazon shop which made no mention of bolt patterns other than in the "Q&A" section at the bottom of the item description, where someone asked about that and was told that they are drilled for multiple patterns - must have been for a different product, I hate that about Amazon.

Anybody need a brand new set of axles? 

I'd call Yukon, I bet they can help.

If that fails and depending on all the measurements (especially length) some truck guys might. But again you've got to get them ALL so the next person can make an informed decision.

5/25/2023 4:01 PM  #9

Thanks, I'll give them a call if I don't hear anything from the message I sent. Their Everett shop is about a four hour drive from where I live, so I could maybe make it a road trip and bring the family along to score a point with the wife.

5/25/2023 4:21 PM  #10

Just a little more info…
It is much easier to install the studs before installing the brake brackets/bearings.

5/25/2023 7:55 PM  #11

So did the pilot end up being the correct diameter on the axles?

5/25/2023 11:04 PM  #12

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

Thanks, I'll give them a call if I don't hear anything from the message I sent. Their Everett shop is about a four hour drive from where I live, so I could maybe make it a road trip and bring the family along to score a point with the wife.

What shop in Everett? Randy's Ring and Pinion? I'm about two miles from there.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/26/2023 8:26 AM  #13

Ron68 wrote:

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

That's the one. If I had my private pilot license I'd just fly up there as they're right next to Paine Field, I believe.

5/26/2023 8:33 AM  #14

Bentworker wrote:

So did the pilot end up being the correct diameter on the axles?

The axle pilot is somewhat larger than the rotors, so the rotors won't sit flush. I didn't measure the difference, but it isn't much.

5/26/2023 8:40 AM  #15

I agree with other posts, call Yukon.  If the axles have not been used, I would think they would make some arrangement, like a 10% or 20% "restocking" fee.  Especially if the listing indicated "multiple pattens". 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/26/2023 10:51 AM  #16

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

That's the one. If I had my private pilot license I'd just fly up there as they're right next to Paine Field, I believe.

Yup. Right across the street from Paine Field.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/26/2023 11:12 AM  #17

I talked to Yukon and apparently their "Amazon store" has absolutely no affiliation with them, and since I had the bearings pressed on, they won't take the axles back. I'm going to get everything assembled on my bench as far as I can, take measurements and get back to them, and hope they can find something that will work for me, otherwise... I'm not sure what.

I think at this point, I'm going to go ahead and pull my original factory rear and put it on the bench right beside the new housing just to be sure there aren't any other fitment problems. The new 9" axle housing is from a '50s - '60s Ford something or other - it's the smooth round rear that all the hotrodders seem to like. If everything measures up good, I'll go ahead and install the 9" housing and diff this weekend. That will at least let me take measurements for the driveline, and will feel like I'm making progress, instead of what's becoming a big pain in the rear end (pun intended).

5/26/2023 1:06 PM  #18

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

I talked to Yukon and apparently their "Amazon store" has absolutely no affiliation with them, and since I had the bearings pressed on, they won't take the axles back. I'm going to get everything assembled on my bench as far as I can, take measurements and get back to them, and hope they can find something that will work for me, otherwise... I'm not sure what.

I think at this point, I'm going to go ahead and pull my original factory rear and put it on the bench right beside the new housing just to be sure there aren't any other fitment problems. The new 9" axle housing is from a '50s - '60s Ford something or other - it's the smooth round rear that all the hotrodders seem to like. If everything measures up good, I'll go ahead and install the 9" housing and diff this weekend. That will at least let me take measurements for the driveline, and will feel like I'm making progress, instead of what's becoming a big pain in the rear end (pun intended).

That's messed up, it's their product regardless, luckily Amazon has pretty good returns, I'd be filing a claim to try to get something back. It's not like you sent them incorrect info, THEY messed the order up.

I will also be sure to avoid Yukon in the future since they do not seem interested in taking care of you.

Last edited by Raymond_B (5/26/2023 1:08 PM)

5/26/2023 1:41 PM  #19

In the event that all avenues are exhausted and if the axels and wheels are hub centric and flanged lug nuts are used I would not hesitate to drill them myself .
But that’s just how I roll
Lug centric wheels need accuracy for the bolt circle.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/26/2023 3:47 PM  #20

Raymond_B wrote:

That's messed up, it's their product regardless, luckily Amazon has pretty good returns, I'd be filing a claim to try to get something back. It's not like you sent them incorrect info, THEY messed the order up.

I will also be sure to avoid Yukon in the future since they do not seem interested in taking care of you.

It took my local shop 2 weeks to get the bearings pressed on because they were slammed, and I didn't think this was a big hurry, but that delay put me 2 days over Amazon's 30 day return policy. Pi$$ed me off enough that I bought my own 12T press, even though I don't really have room for it - never again will I have to wait for press work.

Yukon seemed willing to help me, but they were a little snotty with me for buying from Amazon. I'll get my exact measurements to them, and we will see if they have anything that will work for me.

5/26/2023 5:18 PM  #21

Not sure if this will help but on Daze Cars web site he has info on how to make a jig to change bolt pattern. It's under his info Jaguar IRS in a Mustang Page 3. Pretty slick! Maybe a shop will do the other work needed.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/27/2023 6:24 AM  #22

I agree that if they are hub centric redrilling them is no big deal.  All it would take to accurately center the holes would be a set of transfer punches, which are like $20 a set at HF.  Maybe tack weld the flange to the back of the wheel in two spots so it can't spin as you punch the centers.  Then just drill the holes in the drill press.

My guess is that Yukon deals with calls about things that were incorrectly listed on Amazon a lot.  They probably are also selling their stuff to them wholesale and make very little profit on it.  Of course, if their own website was better I think more people would just use that.  The gearset and bearings for my 10.5 all came from the Amazon store.  Thankfully no issues though.  Yukon is a good company IMO, though I have noticed that a lot of their stuff is no longer made in the US, which used to be their hallmark.  My 10.5 gears said made in China on them.  That said, they set up easy enough, produced a good pattern, and have been quiet in operation for over 5,000 miles. 

5/27/2023 11:50 AM  #23

Here's the deal, this isn't just about the bolt pattern. Truck's that have a 5x5.5" bolt pattern also have a pretty big brake register and a larger brake offset. You can re-drill all day long, but if those other measurements are wrong the axles won't work. I recently ordered a set of Moser axles for my truck and had to take all those measurements so all that is fresh in my mind. Here's the Moser order form, what I would verify is A and B for sure. https://www.moserengineering.com/sites/www.moserengineering.com/files/New-Orderform-w4-link_1.pdf

5/28/2023 7:09 AM  #24

If they are hub centric and the hub is a different size than the brake drum or rotor then everything else is pretty much not worth doing.  You may also encounter issues with the flange OD.  The only proper way to rectify those issues would be having them turned on a lathe.  This would also cut through the heat treatment of the axle, and I'd be concerned about possible failure due to that.  Given the cost of the work it may also not be worth it, and given the potential risk you may not find a machine shop willing to modify the axles either. 

5/28/2023 10:05 AM  #25

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

I looked at the Yukon Gear website and the Amazon Yukon Gear page, and both contain the same ‘polar bear head’ logo.  As such, I can’t see how Yukon can say that they’re not affiliated with the Amazon site.  I'd suggest pushing again with Yukon.  If they have a Facebook site, you may be able to leave a ‘review’ indicating your issue.  That may get some action out of them.  This worked for me with Comp Cams, after a negative review they contacted me and made good on the issue, I edited my review, indicated they made good, and thanked them … just saying.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.