FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2023 11:24 AM  #26

Re: Brake lights pressure switch

Toploader wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I would really dread the thought of fitting that type of switch...

Just finished with the standing-on-my-head work of pedal mounted brake-light switches.
As 'the-guyz' suggested....removing the instrument panel FIRST... is the smart way/(less painful) to do it.
Everything is "right-there" and EZ to install. Only struggle
(skruggle if you live in Charleston) is the connecting/dis-connecting of the speedo cable.
6sal6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/26/2023 7:38 PM  #27

I've just had another brake switch failure. This one lasted about a week.
Something has to be screwy here, surely the spare parts quantity isn't this bad?
What is causing this?
Have I located the switch incorrectly? I am using the Mustang Steve proportioning valve. Can someone give me a diagram on where these switches should be mounted, in the event that I have done it wrong?

Last edited by Toploader (6/26/2023 7:56 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/26/2023 7:58 PM  #28

If you can’t find wiring problem, try this.

In place of the pressure switch, start with a low amperage fuse in its place.

Then you can walk around and inspect lights and wire harness.
If fuse blows, definitely have additional troubleshooting to do.

6/27/2023 7:16 AM  #29

You had stated that you installed LED bulbs.  This could be way out there, but perhaps the current draw with LED bulbs isn’t enough to “wipe” the switch contacts clean.  The switch contacts get ‘dirty’ after a period of time and do not make good contact.  As I said, this scenario is out there, but maybe try installing the normal incandescent bulbs and see if the condition goes away.  
I’ll note that I have LED bulbs, but have the brake pedal switch, and haven’t had any issues.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/27/2023 5:08 PM  #30

Nos681 wrote:

If you can’t find wiring problem, try this.

In place of the pressure switch, start with a low amperage fuse in its place.

Then you can walk around and inspect lights and wire harness.
If fuse blows, definitely have additional troubleshooting to do.

I just did the electrical checks and there are no electrical faults or issues on the car. Definitely the switch is at fault...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/27/2023 5:10 PM  #31

BobE wrote:

You had stated that you installed LED bulbs.  This could be way out there, but perhaps the current draw with LED bulbs isn’t enough to “wipe” the switch contacts clean.  The switch contacts get ‘dirty’ after a period of time and do not make good contact.  As I said, this scenario is out there, but maybe try installing the normal incandescent bulbs and see if the condition goes away.  
I’ll note that I have LED bulbs, but have the brake pedal switch, and haven’t had any issues.

Hmm, ok. This may be a possibility? Anything is possible I guess...
The current draw on the switch when the brakes are applied is 0.2 amps.

6/27/2023 5:14 PM  #32

Currently the plan is to take the failed switch back for a refund.
I've ordered another switch. It's the Hella brand and hopefully this one is of better quality and will last.
If this one fails, then maybe BB's theory is correct and then I will need to explore the option of retro fitting a brake pedal switch (which I really don't want to do).

6/27/2023 7:14 PM  #33

Any possibility you got a little air bubble in there when you installed that switch.  And it worked it's way into the switch after a couple of uses?  Pretty strange for it fail in one day.
I've hated hydraulic brake lite switches for ever and won't have one.  But  I had pretty good luck with the pedal mounted stock switch on the 66....until I went to the current brake setup and ended up with a bit more free travel than I like.  That combined with the Fox V8 booster made for a very light pedal under normal slow speed braking which caused the brake lights to be a bit unreliable.  So
So, PIA as it was, I fashioned a bracket and installed a micro switch as a brake lite switch.  Works every time with about a half inch of pedal travel.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/27/2023 7:18 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/27/2023 9:25 PM  #34

Bullet Bob wrote:

Any possibility you got a little air bubble in there when you installed that switch.  And it worked it's way into the switch after a couple of uses?  Pretty strange for it fail in one day.
I've hated hydraulic brake lite switches for ever and won't have one.  But  I had pretty good luck with the pedal mounted stock switch on the 66....until I went to the current brake setup and ended up with a bit more free travel than I like.  That combined with the Fox V8 booster made for a very light pedal under normal slow speed braking which caused the brake lights to be a bit unreliable.  So
So, PIA as it was, I fashioned a bracket and installed a micro switch as a brake lite switch.  Works every time with about a half inch of pedal travel.

BB1

I've had my Mustang 20 years now and it seems that the brake switch failures only started happening after I converted to disc brakes. Prior to that, I had one switch on the original master cylinder for who knows how long, but it would have been years and years. I'm probably with you now in having the same opinion on hydraulic brake switches... Thumbs down.
Converting to an electric switch seems like a real pain though and it would be nice if I didn't have to.
My car was in the early production run, so the brake pedal most likely doesn't have the feature to mount a switch...

Last edited by Toploader (6/27/2023 9:27 PM)

6/27/2023 9:30 PM  #35

I have the brake brake switch mounted in the proportioning valve. Is there a chance that this is the wrong location?
I know that the switch is just there to pick up the pressure increase and send a signal to the taillights, but is there a mounting location or rule that I don't know about?

6/27/2023 10:11 PM  #36

I just checked my brake fluid and it is the non-silicone DOT 4 type, so that shouldn't be an issue?
I also wondered if I needed a low pressure switch? I have seen this discussed in some old internet threads.

6/28/2023 6:00 AM  #37

I keep reading up on this issue and saw someone talking about brake pressure switches blowing every month and put it down to the higher pressures in the brake system after converting to disc brakes.
Could this be something?

6/28/2023 6:29 AM  #38

Toploader wrote:

I keep reading up on this issue and saw someone talking about brake pressure switches blowing every month and put it down to the higher pressures in the brake system after converting to disc brakes.
Could this be something?

I was just getting ready to ask that question about the higher disc brake pressure requirement.  Also, you say the switch is mounted on the prop valve.  Zactly how did you do that?  With a "T" in one of the lines leaving or entering?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/28/2023 7:18 AM  #39

You may be on to something regarding the higher pressure required for disc brakes.
If you decide to convert, below are links that contain some mechanical operated brake light switches you may want to consider.  These may be easier to install than the OEM pedal operated switch. 
https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/classic-button-style-brake-switch/
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=brake%20light%20switch

6/28/2023 10:19 AM  #40

I am using the one MS sells for PB on my 65 with his PB kit. I also have LEDs and cruise. So the only add on was the relay for the leds to actvate witch also controls the crusie. Been working just fine for couple years now. My buddy has frame mounted brakes on his 57 chevy truck and we have replace the PS switch twice in one year, has 12v going through it and LEDS. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (6/29/2023 11:05 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/28/2023 3:14 PM  #41

I have the brake switch hooked into the Mustang Steve proportioning valve. Here is the proportioning valve and here is how it's fitted in my car...

Last edited by Toploader (6/28/2023 3:16 PM)

6/28/2023 3:34 PM  #42

BobE wrote:

You may be on to something regarding the higher pressure required for disc brakes.
If you decide to convert, below are links that contain some mechanical operated brake light switches you may want to consider.  These may be easier to install than the OEM pedal operated switch. 

Thanks! Are there any websites showing examples of how to convert?

6/28/2023 3:36 PM  #43

Is there a high pressure side and low pressure side on the proportioning valve? Maybe the switch should be mounted to the low pressure side regardless?

6/28/2023 4:08 PM  #44

Here's an interesting read on hydraulic brake switches and their failures...

https://www.sw-em.com/hydraulic%20brake%20light%20switches%20notes.htm

6/28/2023 10:23 PM  #45

My 1958 F600 has what appears to be it's original factory installed hydraulic brake light switch and it works every time I step on the brake pedal. It's installed in the brake line underneath the cab.
The '64.5 Mustang had it installed in the forward end of the single pot master cylinder. The upper threaded hole in the photo.

Last edited by Texas! (6/28/2023 10:26 PM)

6/29/2023 2:03 AM  #46

Texas! wrote:

My 1958 F600 has what appears to be it's original factory installed hydraulic brake light switch and it works every time I step on the brake pedal. It's installed in the brake line underneath the cab.
The '64.5 Mustang had it installed in the forward end of the single pot master cylinder. The upper threaded hole in the photo.

Yep!!! I had the original single pot master cylinder on my car and as far as I can remember, it had the original brake switch. I wish I kept that switch and fitted it to the new disc brake set up 😔
So based on what you are saying, it shouldn't really matter where the switch is mounted?

Last edited by Toploader (6/29/2023 2:04 AM)

6/29/2023 4:25 AM  #47

Greg B wrote:

I think it's the ethanol they put in the modern brake fluid.   

Just kidding about ethanol.

6/29/2023 4:07 PM  #48

Well.... I just fitted the more expensive Hella brand of switch. The box says made in USA, but I couldn't see USA stamped anywhere on the switch.
I sure hope this part is USA made and will last like the original switches did.

6/29/2023 11:06 PM  #49

Sorry I should have stated that the one i have is the under dash PB switch from MS

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/30/2023 6:35 AM  #50

Toploader wrote:

BobE wrote:

Thanks! Are there any websites showing examples of how to convert?

ling this topic

I would try Googling this topic and see what comes up.  Or, try called Speedway, or Watsons, and see if they can offer any info.  Otherwise, I guess you'll have to figure out some kind mounting bracket.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.