FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2023 6:13 PM  #1

This is a 5.0 roller I am building

I am nearly finished with one of the 5.0’s I am building.  This one will get sold.  98 Explorer block with 92 HO roller cam.  It has stock bore with fresh power hone and original low mile crank, rods and pistons.  I installed a set of reworked e7 heads so it will have a little more compression. New Hastings double moly rings, Clevite 77 bearings, double roller timing chain and new balancer, water pump and timing cover.  I detailed a set of finned aluminum Power by Ford valve covers for it, added an Edelbrock aluminum intake and a Holley 600 with a stock fuel pump, and an electronic distributor.

I built it to be a direct replacement for a 65-69 289 or 302 where the owner won’t have to worry about balance issues. It is all figured out for them.

Problem is, I do not have a good idea what it might be worth.  Any ideas?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/17/2023 8:19 PM  #2

Re: This is a 5.0 roller I am building

Love it MS!
It is a very satisfying experience rebuilding an engine like that.
I have about 60,000 miles and 18 years on my engine and I often wonder when I am due to do what you are doing...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/17/2023 9:41 PM  #3

I have two more blocks and a set of GT40 heads at the machine shop, so this will have at least two more engines in the pipeline.  One for my 65 convertible. And at least one more to sell

6/18/2023 4:13 AM  #4

Always hard to put a value on stuff like that.  Regional variations play a big role.  I would look at what a reman long block is selling for and add a bit on top for the intake, carb, valve covers, etc. that a long block wouldn't have.  Around here I'd put it out there for $4,000 and take the first $3,500 that came to see it. 

6/18/2023 2:04 PM  #5

Slap a MUSTANGSTEVE decal on it somewhere.....(oil pan/inside air cleaner/etc.) and you would get a premium price because of your notoriety ............No kidd'in!
Especially guys in your area.
All about marketing, man!
6S6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/19/2023 11:18 AM  #6

Not in a hurry...$4000.00
Quick sale....$3000.00  OBO
Sold...$2500.00 to $2700.00

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

6/19/2023 11:21 AM  #7

Id say in that $4000 to $3500 range looking at whats out there and what Crate engines cost.   Question for you. I was working on my same Powered by ford Valve covers this last weekend.  I have the rubber grommet in rear valve cover with a elbow going in the back of air cleaner in the rear.   I was going to have the PCV with rubber gromment on drivers side front.  I see you have a oil cap on your front with a elbow. Is that a original cap for that style valve cover?   Im just curious If I could use the same cap with a angled PCV on the top of the cap?  It would make adding oil at lot easier for oil changes.  

6/19/2023 11:54 AM  #8

Steve69 wrote:

Id say in that $4000 to $3500 range looking at whats out there and what Crate engines cost.   Question for you. I was working on my same Powered by ford Valve covers this last weekend.  I have the rubber grommet in rear valve cover with a elbow going in the back of air cleaner in the rear.   I was going to have the PCV with rubber gromment on drivers side front.  I see you have a oil cap on your front with a elbow. Is that a original cap for that style valve cover?   Im just curious If I could use the same cap with a angled PCV on the top of the cap?  It would make adding oil at lot easier for oil changes.  

Pcv from the factory was in a rubber grommet in the top of one of those caps on passenger rear. I prefer using the Boss 302 style rubber grommet for the pvc.   Front driver side gets the original cap you see with 90 degree elbow and hose going to bottom of filtered side of air cleaner. Caps are original 82-84 Mustang and are rare and expensive.

6/19/2023 1:01 PM  #9

The way Ford did it.

Except in 82-84, they used same black cap with pcv valve in a rubber grommet sticking straight out the top of the passenger side.  Remember, filtered air goes IN the driver side valve cover and is pulled OUT through the pcv valve and sucked into the intake manifold to be burned.

If for some reason you see the need to put the pcv valve on the driver side, you have to provide air inlet into the engine on the passenger side.

6/20/2023 7:04 AM  #10

MS wrote:

The way Ford did it.

Except in 82-84, they used same black cap with pcv valve in a rubber grommet sticking straight out the top of the passenger side. Remember, filtered air goes IN the driver side valve cover and is pulled OUT through the pcv valve and sucked into the intake manifold to be burned.

If for some reason you see the need to put the pcv valve on the driver side, you have to provide air inlet into the engine on the passenger side.

Thanks for the info and the close up pics!   Mine is just the opposite.  I have the PCV on Drivers side going into the PCV on the Summit racing carburetor thats on one the front side of engine. I believe thats why I had it the opposite way.    I have the rear passenger side cover with the elbow to a grommet and elbow in the air cleaner.  I seen Scott Drake cap that might do the trick.   Scott Drake Valve Cover Oil Cap C8AZ-6766-A 842110141262 | eBay  So where would you have the PCV hose connected to on the drivers side valve cover?  Looks like you used a litte RTV on the boss 302 rubber grommet where the PCV is?

Last edited by Steve69 (6/20/2023 7:09 AM)

6/20/2023 8:02 AM  #11

Steve….look up oil breather filter cap for 1979 F150.
The shape is not the same but functionally is correct.
The same breather/oil fill cap was used on Mustangs, Broncos, Trucks, and Cougars 68-84ish.

Look at Stant # SO71

There is a 90 degree fitting that goes into grommet and line to the air cleaner.
Depending on air cleaner base thickness, could use same grommet and fitting.

Last edited by Nos681 (6/20/2023 8:06 AM)

6/20/2023 8:04 AM  #12

6/20/2023 8:48 AM  #13

Yea those caps will “work”. I buy similar ones to get the gaskets off of them, then scrap the cap. The gaskets fit the correct cap as in the pics.

6/20/2023 11:54 AM  #14

Thanks for the pics and info guys!  Very helpful!  

6/20/2023 7:00 PM  #15

MS…what hose do you use from PCV to carb?

6/20/2023 7:29 PM  #16

Autozone sells one that is a 3/8” hose with a 90 degree bend near one end. In a blister pack hanging on a rack in one of the aisles. Sometimes I make a steel tube with a small rubber section at the valve.  This particular engine has a Boss 302 pcv valve that will get changed out to a 5.0 stock valve.  I just stuck that one in there to hold the grommet’s shape while the rtv set up

6/21/2023 10:39 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Yea those caps will “work”. I buy similar ones to get the gaskets off of them, then scrap the cap. The gaskets fit the correct cap as in the pics.

O'reilly's had the caps with PCV rubber and Angled end Grommets for $5.99.  Cant beat that price!

Thanks NOS681! for the alternative cap part #.   I used the 3/8 hose from the Carburetor to the PCV on the valve cover.  Prior I just had the rubber grommet in the cover with the PCV only.  It was a PIA adding oil through that small hole of the grommet when I removed the PCV.  This should work a lot better in the future.   Get everything ready for when the BP 347 engine comes.  

Thanks
Steve69

6/22/2023 4:43 AM  #18

What was part number at O’Reilly’s? (Future reference)

6/22/2023 8:37 AM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

What was part number at O’Reilly’s? (Future reference)

MasterPro Select Crankcase Breather Cap - 8071
MasterPro Select Crankcase Breather Cap 8071 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

6/22/2023 1:12 PM  #20

I have a few of the caps stashed and a set of the valve covers too maybe about to put them on EBAY. they bringing some good money at the moment. they look like Steves they are black with fins sanded.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

6/23/2023 8:20 AM  #21

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I have a few of the caps stashed and a set of the valve covers too maybe about to put them on EBAY. they bringing some good money at the moment. they look like Steves they are black with fins sanded.

You should list them.  They are pretty pricy on EBAY.  

6/23/2023 9:09 AM  #22

That completed 5.0 is now on the swap meet forum for $2,950

6/23/2023 9:22 AM  #23

I know it's the predecessor of the cap you are using, but seems like a nice substitute.

https://www.autokrafters.com/product/3102/oil-cap-1970-79-most-ford-mercury-cars-trucks-170-200-240-250-302-351w-351c-351m-360-390-429-460-black-d1az-6766a

This company has a lot o stuff.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/23/2023 4:00 PM  #24

Greg B wrote:

I know it's the predecessor of the cap you are using, but seems like a nice substitute.

https://www.autokrafters.com/product/3102/oil-cap-1970-79-most-ford-mercury-cars-trucks-170-200-240-250-302-351w-351c-351m-360-390-429-460-black-d1az-6766a

This company has a lot o stuff.

We used that type fill cap on Jose’s 65 5.0.  I like the caps but I did not think they looked best with this particular valve cover.

6/26/2023 1:06 PM  #25

MS wrote:

That completed 5.0 is now on the swap meet forum for $2,950

I seen it on the FB engine forum.  Some nice fellows on there....LOL   NOT!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.