FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2023 1:56 PM  #1

AAW Crimpers

OK, I'm about ready to take the plunge and get the AAW wiring kit for my '67. AAW recommends using their crimping tools. Unfortunately, the pair of their tools runs about $200. A friend who is going to help me with this project sez we should be able to find generic crimpers that will do the job. My concern (aside from the price) is that perhaps the connectors used by AAW are unique and require specific crimpers.
Anyone have experience with this? Do I bite the bullet and get AAW crimpers or will something else do the job? Thanks for any input. 

7/04/2023 2:22 PM  #2

Re: AAW Crimpers

You are shopping without sufficient info. What do their crimpers do different than any others?  Do they offer pics of the tools they sell?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/04/2023 2:34 PM  #3

Here they are on Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510587?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-tools&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho-lBhC_ARIsAMpgMofaE21E-r4DI3mj5y74CWipk41U--TWcIqBLkqxLE56vw3XyZ0fQMsaArkNEALw_wcB

Based on the pictures they are just regular crimps.  There's no way they are using proprietary connectors, because designing and manufacturing them from scratch would simply be too expensive.  I'm sure they are weatherpack, metripack, etc.  You really would just need to know what series of connectors they are using and get the appropriate crimp tool. 

Now, possibly the ones AAW sells are ones they consider to be of known quality.  But my guess is like most things today they are sold under a premium name while being the same tool made in China sold on Amazon for 1/10th the price.  But it might be worth a discussion with AAW.  If they are American made and designed to last a lifetime I could be swayed.  I've never had an issue spending money on good quality tools.

7/04/2023 2:39 PM  #4

I suspect they use terminals that require a "double-roll' crimp.  You might check with Terminal Supply or better yet, wait until you see what terminals they are using and then go find a decent crimper.  I will say though, that a GOOD pair of double-roll crimpers have been running about $200 for many years.  Not that lesser units won't work.  Just maybe not as well on all wire sizes and all terminals.
Why not go on the various forums and see if anyone will rent you a pair? 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/04/2023 3:19 PM  #5

It kind of looks like Summit makes the same tool only a whole lot less expensive.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

7/04/2023 5:21 PM  #6

I have the pair of crimpers from American.  One is for single wire terminations the other is for two wire (daisy chain) style where you have two wires side by side in one termination.

Each crimp is three step.  One action uses the larger die to start the roll form of the flat ears over the conductors.  The smaller die is then used to finish the crimp.  Lastly the large die is used to form the 2nd set of ears over the wire insulation.  The terminals are NOT the barrel style like are used in many industrial applications (Burndy or States brand)

If you are not going to do any daisy chain style wiring you don’t need the blue handled crimpers. 

I’d lend mine out with some sort of collateral.

7/04/2023 5:44 PM  #7

When I rewired my car I bought the crimpers from AAW rather than renting from them, you can never have enough tools🤪
The crimpers are US made, Delphi branded, one of them has. GM  part#
I’d lend you mine but the shipping to and from Canuckistan is just plane nuts.
The crimps are factory quality in appearance and function.
I’d guess that some commie country must have a copy but I don’t roll that way unless I have no choice.

H

Last edited by Rudi (7/05/2023 7:16 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/04/2023 6:27 PM  #8

Thanks chaps. I suspected that, judging from the cost, the crimpers must be good quality. Rudy, as we are both Canucks, I would love to take you up on your kind offer. But by the time I pay for shipping both ways and worry aboot (sic) damaging a fellow 'stanger's equipment I think I'll just get my own. As stated, one can never have too many tools and they can join my tool box filled with tools that I really needed, used once (maybe) and will collect cobwebs until --- well, I don't want to think aboot it.  Cheers

7/04/2023 9:07 PM  #9

Check on eBay or other social media for sale forums for crimpers. You are not alone with your dilemma, many people who did the AAW rewire bought the tools and later when finished put them up for sale, or you could put yours up for sale.
Good luck.

7/05/2023 7:06 AM  #10

I've used a Klein Crimper #1005 (that was my father's), for years w/o any issues.  Currently these crimpers are for 10-22 AWG wire gauges, and are available at Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
I always use un-insulated butt splices and ring terminals.  I 'tin' the wire with solder, then solder the connection after crimping and cover with heat shrink.  This may be overkill, and does take longer to complete, but I've seen connections on vehicles be impacted by corrosion and vibration.

I'll add that I used rachet crimpers at work and they are better, typically made to last for thousands of crimps through many years of use, but I don't think they are worth the expense for personal home, or car, projects. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/05/2023 7:14 AM  #11

BobE wrote:

I've used a Klein Crimper #1005 (that was my father's), for years w/o any issues.  Currently these crimpers are for 10-22 AWG wire gauges, and are available at Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
I always use un-insulated butt splices and ring terminals.  I 'tin' the wire with solder, then solder the connection after crimping and cover with heat shrink.  This may be overkill, and does take longer to complete, but I've seen connections on vehicles be impacted by corrosion and vibration.

I'll add that I used rachet crimpers at work and they are better, typically made to last for thousands of crimps through many years of use, but I don't think they are worth the expense for personal home, or car, projects. 

Unfortunately that crimper won’t work with the AAW connectors.

7/05/2023 10:42 AM  #12

Crimp plus solder had never let me down. I only do that on stuff that is really buried and difficult to get to. Everything else just crimp! i can't remember redoing one ever, but then I am a little bullish on making sure s\everything is clean and the crimper closes COMPLETELY! And it is ligned up well. My way of making sure it takes more time to have fun (drink beer).

Last edited by DC (7/05/2023 10:43 AM)

7/05/2023 11:28 AM  #13

Yeah, crimps get a bad rap IMO based on cheaply made crimpers.  Those parts store ones that smash a barrel crimp connector into an oval fail with frequency.  A proper crimp, even on those same crappy connectors, where it dimples and folds the connector I've yet to see fail.  Given the choice I tend to use solder seal connectors on everything requiring a spade or ring terminal.  For Weatherpack, Deutsch, etc. I just use a proper crimp tool for the pins and seals and have also never had an issue. 

7/05/2023 3:14 PM  #14

I use the crimper that makes a lil dimple when ya squish it. I also put a dab of solder and shrink tube it. (kinda like a belt&suspenders thang) Rarely have I had a failure.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/05/2023 6:24 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

I use the crimper that makes a lil dimple when ya squish it. I also put a dab of solder and shrink tube it. (kinda like a belt&suspenders thang) Rarely have I had a failure.
6sal6

Those "Stake-On" type crimpers work fine for terminals designed to use them.  Butt (TS&T) on double-roll terminals....well, you need a double roll crimper.  Preferably one of some quality.  Thanks to TKO, thanks Tom, I stopped using solder on most crimps after having two failures due to solder in the wire.
Correct crimps with a double wall heat shrink cover works fine and will still stand a little flexing without breaking.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.