FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2023 4:20 PM  #1

New epoxy floor going in next week.

I have to move all the crap out of the shop. Had an idea… four post lift with fence posts and plywood makes a 12’ x 8’ platform so I can lift it all up out of the way.
Most everything else is on wheels and will get rolled into the man cave.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/08/2023 4:33 PM  #2

Re: New epoxy floor going in next week.

Wheel kit for the lift or is the garage door opening to low?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/08/2023 4:43 PM  #3

I did that type of coating years ago. And it failed too. Let a garage flooring guy do it right. Warrantied for life(whatever that means). Six years on my Polyaspartic coating and it still looks new!

http://garagefloorcoating.com

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/08/2023 6:35 PM  #4

Mine has ten year warranty.  I think the clearcoat was applied when it was too hot. The color is fine but clear is coming off in big sheets, only right inside the big door. They are going to redo everything.  The lift will just get raised up so they can work under it. I goes up to clear 6’-10” underneath.
They can just paint around the four posts. Not like I will ever move it. I am going to bolt it down once they get done.

7/09/2023 6:54 AM  #5

IME issues with those coatings are due to either people doing it over concrete that's still a little green or doing it over old floors that had a lot of stains on them.  I think dust and the coating not having any tooth to bite into may also play a role.  The age and condition of your floor should be perfect for the best possible outcome. 

7/09/2023 7:59 AM  #6

The failure mode on my floor is weird. The grey color coat is perfectly adhered to the concrete below. The clearcoat is peeling away from the color coat.
So, they are going to grind everything off and start over.
I think it was too hot the day they applied the clearcoat. This time, I am going to turn on the AC and get it down to 72 or so.

7/09/2023 11:04 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

IME issues with those coatings are due to either people doing it over concrete that's still a little green or doing it over old floors that had a lot of stains on them.  I think dust and the coating not having any tooth to bite into may also play a role.  The age and condition of your floor should be perfect for the best possible outcome. 

They grind the concrete before applying the finish. No more acid wash.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/09/2023 12:06 PM  #8

KeithP wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

They grind the concrete before applying the finish. No more acid wash.

Finally got smart!

7/09/2023 12:48 PM  #9

I used to oversee installation of these type floors in aircraft factories, so this is nothing new.  Only difference is the conditions for a successful installation were much more favorable in my new garage than they were in WWII vintage factories with torn up and oil stained floors that had been abused for decades.

7/09/2023 3:53 PM  #10

Built my garage in '94.  The concrete sat for several weeks while the building was put up.  Then I broomed it and washed it down with water.  Waited either 24 or 48 hours - can't remember.  Washed it down again with muriatic acid.  Waited 24 hours.  Gave it two coats of epoxy - 24 hours apart.  Let that dry for a few days to cure it.  All following the directions scrupusly.  Only then did I start using it. 

It's still There with no peeling.  It is gray and the part of the floor that is in the sun out side of the garage door has sun bleached, but the rest is still ther same color  It has stained some with use, but oil and such still wipes up with soapy water.  I tried to do it correctly rather than cheaply.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/09/2023 3:56 PM  #11

Why clearcoat?
  Must be a different type of epoxy process  than mine which was done 30 or so years ago.

7/09/2023 5:43 PM  #12

This is probably the price I pay for not doing the floor myself…
I had a contractor install it.

7/10/2023 11:55 AM  #13

MS wrote:

I used to oversee installation of these type floors in aircraft factories, so this is nothing new. Only difference is the conditions for a successful installation were much more favorable in my new garage than they were in WWII vintage factories with torn up and oil stained floors that had been abused for decades.

Before I retired three years ago, we had both of our hangars in Seattle done by a contractor. The "new" hangar was built in 1985. The "old" hangar in 1967. The contractor sanded both floors that had an older coating applied down to the concrete, then pressure washed the floors. They then applied sealant to all the joint lines and waited until the sealant had cured. They then applied the epoxy coating. We waited for the time period they said to wait until it cured, then we moved an aircraft onto it. It sat there overnight and when we pulled the aircraft out, the coating pulled up where the wheels had been sitting.They had to come back a patch a few spots because of that and bubbles. Seems even the "pros" can screw up sometimes too if they don't  properly prepare the floors. That "old" hangar had probably 50 years of oil, hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, grease, etc soaked into it. "Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance..." 

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/10/2023 12:32 PM  #14

The floor in Building 6 at the NWIRP I worked at had an expensice Stonhard floor installed, but there was no moisture barrier under the floor.  When it rained real hard, bubbles in the coating would fill up with water.  Then, when a forklift rolled over it, you did NOT want to be anywhere in the area as it drove across and ruptured the bubbles, squirting water 20-30 feet across the area.  I think the guys on the forklifts got pretty good at aiming the stream.

7/10/2023 2:52 PM  #15

Hey Ron fixed that for ya🤪

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance...possibly!

7/10/2023 6:34 PM  #16

I learned the "SEVEN P'S":  Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/11/2023 6:23 AM  #17

I think this one also applies:
80 % of PAINT is PAIN

7/11/2023 11:02 AM  #18

Floor prep is the key to any flooring installation. That is why it was just as expensive for me to prep your floors as it was to install them.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

7/11/2023 12:23 PM  #19

They are grinding up the old coating with a huge machine that has three grinding wheels. It removes everything down to concrete in just one pass.   Impressive removal tool.  Looks just like the machine in the pictures posted previously.

7/12/2023 4:30 PM  #20

They put the primer/filler first coat down today after grinding all the old stuff off.  It has now hardened to touch after five hours of cure. Unfortunately they did not put any signs up when they left.  We have caught at least one spider and one dragonfly.  I was halfway hoping to get some deer tracks going through it, but it was too hot for the deer to even come take a look.
Should get final color tomorrow and then the matte finish clearcoat.

7/13/2023 7:44 AM  #21

Poor little fellow.

7/13/2023 11:11 AM  #22

MS wrote:

Poor little fellow.

OMG - they've killed the Geico gecko! (Finally!)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/13/2023 11:24 AM  #23

Can they build the clear to preserve up over him? That would make an interesting conversation piece for you if they could.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

7/13/2023 11:44 AM  #24

He is in the primer, so the sanding process should make quick work of him.

7/13/2023 12:15 PM  #25

My garage floor is 45 years old and works just like when it was new. Never had a coat of anything because I knew it would drive me crazy. fixing it all the time. Floor still sweeps up great and survives the grinding, welding, painting, and all the mistakes and all I do is sweep or wipe up with solvent. I love all those smooth shiny floors in my buddies shops, but I figure I leave too big of wake behind.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.