FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2023 6:12 PM  #26

Re: New epoxy floor going in next week.

Was originally installed Nov 2021 and had lots of dropped wrenches, weld burns and chips from real work going on.  I hope to take better care of this new one, but reality is reality.  I will just enjoy the patina as it occurs. 
Would I do it over on a new floor?  I think a matte clearcoat on concrete would have been fine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/13/2023 7:15 PM  #27

MS wrote:

Was originally installed Nov 2021 and had lots of dropped wrenches, weld burns and chips from real work going on. I hope to take better care of this new one, but reality is reality. I will just enjoy the patina as it occurs.
Would I do it over on a new floor? I think a matte clearcoat on concrete would have been fine.

I've done the solid color and clear coat several times before. Within 6 months it was scratched and damaged. This last time I had the flooring guys add the full broadcast of chips(Earth Effects Mica media). I am a Total fan of the chips. Would never do a floor again without them. They hide and deflect all the damage you can do to the floor.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/13/2023 7:57 PM  #28

Yeah, the flakes might help.  He wanted $1500 more to add them.

7/13/2023 8:14 PM  #29

MS wrote:

Yeah, the flakes might help. He wanted $1500 more to add them.

Just trying to help you from my experiences for over the last 20 years. I saw in your original pictures that there was a 'yellowing' in that clearcoat. Not an Expert by any means, but I've seen that before in the clear coats I've installed before on my garage floors. The old 'Epoxy' floor coating had a problem with UV light, they yellowed. They have progressed beyond that and now have a 'poly type formula' (dosen't yellow and doesn't scratch/chip) and are more flexible like polyurehtane. Adding the Mica Chips to that combination seems to bind everything together and doesn't yellow.

Last edited by KeithP (7/13/2023 8:15 PM)

7/13/2023 8:44 PM  #30

DC wrote:

My garage floor is 45 years old and works just like when it was new. Never had a coat of anything because I knew it would drive me crazy. fixing it all the time. Floor still sweeps up great and survives the grinding, welding, painting, and all the mistakes and all I do is sweep or wipe up with solvent. I love all those smooth shiny floors in my buddies shops, but I figure I leave too big of wake behind.

I thought like you years ago. Then I applied my first 'Epoxy' coating. What a mess it failed, scratched and yellowed. I tried again on another garage floor, again a mess. Then I bought the best epoxy coating and clear coat I could find. Again it yellowed and chipped. I did more research and found that there was a new garage coating that didn't yellow and was more forgiving like polyurehane. I liked the idea of adding chips to the coating to make it more durable and not stick to your hot wet car tire. Now that the coatings are more forgiving I will never go back to raw concete or 'Epoxy' coatings! A dust mop is all I need to clean my garage floor! 

7/14/2023 7:23 AM  #31

Putting chips/flakes in the epoxy makes finding small dropped parts impossible..
No way I’d ever do it!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/14/2023 8:34 AM  #32

Rudi wrote:

Putting chips/flakes in the epoxy makes finding small dropped parts impossible..
No way I’d ever do it!

I have the grey/black/silver coating/chips. It does make finding small parts I've dropped difficult to find. Gives you an incentive to be more careful and not drop small parts. 

7/14/2023 10:53 AM  #33

I spend a lot of time dropping stuff and looking for it.
Many times stuff just disappears never to be  found.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/14/2023 6:11 PM  #34

Rudi wrote:

Many times stuff just disappears never to be  found.

Ain't that the damn truth.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/14/2023 6:39 PM  #35

Rudi wrote:

Many times stuff just disappears never to be found.

You would think that the floor just swallows stuff up to pi** you off.  Years ago, I was reassembling the compressor halves of an Allison 250 turbine engine for a helicopter. The halves were bolted together with special cap screws. I happened to drop one and immediately started looking for it. Not to be found anywhere. Swept the shop floor for twenty feet around the engine. No bolt. Of course, none in stock. Had to buy one from the Bell Helicopter dealer down the street. Went home that night, getting ready for bed, took my pants off. Heard a clink - there was the missing bolt. The damned pants were uniform ones, with cuffs on the legs. The bolt had been in my pants cuff all the time.....

Last edited by Ron68 (7/14/2023 6:40 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/15/2023 5:20 AM  #36

Whatever i drop immediatley rolls underneath the exact center of what i am working on, no matter what. 

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

7/15/2023 8:18 AM  #37

Alan wrote:

Whatever i drop immediatley rolls underneath the exact center of what i am working on, no matter what. 

I think that is officially known as “Thompson’s Law”

7/16/2023 5:05 PM  #38

KeithP wrote:

MS wrote:

Was originally installed Nov 2021 and had lots of dropped wrenches, weld burns and chips from real work going on. I hope to take better care of this new one, but reality is reality. I will just enjoy the patina as it occurs.
Would I do it over on a new floor? I think a matte clearcoat on concrete would have been fine.

I've done the solid color and clear coat several times before. Within 6 months it was scratched and damaged. This last time I had the flooring guys add the full broadcast of chips(Earth Effects Mica media). I am a Total fan of the chips. Would never do a floor again without them. They hide and deflect all the damage you can do to the floor.

Butt MAN !!......... it makes finding lil washers/nuts/and sprangs really interesting.
Like the kid who lost his chewing gum in the chicken yard.......he found it 4 times !!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.