FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2023 9:06 AM  #1

HVAC blower in my 2010 F 150

I have been loosing my blower fan speeds slowly on my F 150. I don't really know when I lost #1 but soon I noticed I needed to switch to #3 just to get air flow.  A quick Google search found Ford was still using a resistor block in the duct for fan speed control. I got a new part and everything is working again. I was surprised that 50+ year old resistors were what they were still using for speed control. 
To make this Mustang related, I had to walk past the 66 to get to my tool box.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

7/13/2023 3:50 PM  #2

Re: HVAC blower in my 2010 F 150

Why change if things still work however, it this day and age with electronics controls, it is interesting that they were still using old technology even several years ago. 
Your Mustang, be careful not to scratch it as you go by with tools in your hand! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/14/2023 5:22 AM  #3

What would be the advantage for Ford in switching to digital fan controller?  Compared to the money spent on R&D, testing, and then the concern about warranty claims should it fail.  Car design works a lot like evolution in nature.  There has to be some environmental pressure to spur change, because if change isn't advantageous it doesn't thrive.  If there were no concerns about economy, emissions, or staying competitive with the competition cars would still have carburetors.

7/14/2023 11:24 AM  #4

Agree with TKO, why spend money to design and develop something new when a simple resister still works. Best part is you didn't have to pay big bucks for a motor control center. Winner, winner!!!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/14/2023 3:32 PM  #5

Quiet!!! Don’t let Ford know you were able to fix it affordably.  If they find out, they will combine the switch with the transmission controller and the left rear turn signal bulb and the right interior door lights and power locks, requiring a $400 switch replacement.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2023 8:33 PM  #6

MS wrote:

Quiet!!! Don’t let Ford know you were able to fix it affordably. If they find out, they will combine the switch with the transmission controller and the left rear turn signal bulb and the right interior door lights and power locks, requiring a $400 switch replacement.

Yep!

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

7/15/2023 5:12 AM  #7

MS wrote:

Quiet!!! Don’t let Ford know you were able to fix it affordably. If they find out, they will combine the switch with the transmission controller and the left rear turn signal bulb and the right interior door lights and power locks, requiring a $400 switch replacement.

That's probably true.  The fix was under $30.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

7/15/2023 2:56 PM  #8

BobC wrote:

MS wrote:

That's probably true.  The fix was under $30.

Yeah.  I looked up the cost to replace a taillight in my '15.  Over $400!  Fortunately, the problem was software.  A factory upgrade was what needed.  It was free.  You can't even get to the light bulb without destroying the whole light fixture.  It is glued together.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/17/2023 7:30 AM  #9

While not Mustang, or even car related, the ice maker in our 2019 Bosch refrigerator stopped working.  After trying a few things, I contacted Bosch, who sent a repairing man (free of charge as it was my first call to them, even though the warranty had expired).  I’ll note that this ice maker is integral to the refrigerator, not like ones in the past that could be easily replaced. 
Repairman came with a small screwdriver and a tablet.  The tablet contained the troubleshooting guide, after trying a few things (that didn’t resolve the issue), he moved to the refrigerator’s control panel, pushed in a ‘code’, we waited a few minutes, problem solved.  The codes entered activated an installed heater of the water line to the ice maker.  Obviously, if one had these codes, one could likely make repairs themselves.  Although this call was free, it would have cost about $200 for the service call.
In the survey Bosch requested after the ‘repair’, I asked if they would send me the troubleshooting guide, haven’t heard back yet (not surprised).

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/17/2023 9:53 AM  #10

I’ve had two Bosch dishwashers that crapped out shortly after the warranty expired . I usually fix appliances myself after that.
Tha last one only needed a very large dia. o ring that was only included in a $250 replacement component . I’m done with Bosch.
The  Miele replacement we got also died after warranty needing a dedicated $$$ water inlet valve.
I installed a universal valve that is still working but throwing an occasional defect code.
I’m done with stuff made in the “Black Forrest by der elves”
Going back to Frigidaire.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.