FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2023 6:55 AM  #1

Stinking Lincoln

My buddy ask me to help get this car running so he can buy it . I thought no big deal it has no fire somebody wired up a dura spark check everything ok it needs an ignition box plugged it up I was like wow the car sounds really good and strong Big 460. Then it died no fire LOL I checked everything noticed with the new box it cranks the engine in key on position the old box in the start position. Ok I think the box is bad. Put a. New box on it fires right up like fuel injection 30 seconds later dies again. This time I powered up the box with a jump box so nothing is shorting out the box I thought the alternator may be overcharging. Ordered a Petronix Distributor and coil. Meanwhile the Coupe started its Bash Trash fuel line started leaking fuel have to order 30 feet of fuel line and maybe fittings And I don’t have time for no Stinking Lincoln 😂 I looked at the amount of wires they put on a 72 Lincoln probably weighs mor more than my car I tried to talk him out of it but no he wants to buy it. I would like to have the carburetor of it when it runs it runs really good

Last edited by Coupedaddy (8/12/2023 6:58 AM)

8/12/2023 8:32 AM  #2

Re: Stinking Lincoln

So, if I understand correctly it keeps frying the Dura Spark box?  Or at least that's what seems to be happening?  If that's the case try one of the old boxes again and see if it magically works.  Obviously, it won't really be magic, but you may simply be jostling a connection around that's causing an issue, getting it to make a good connection and after 30 seconds of engine vibration the connection goes away again.  I'm not a Dura Spark expert by any means, but from what I've read if the box is Ford/Motorcraft they rarely go bad. 

There's some real good info on this thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?157346-How-does-one-trouble-shoot-and-diagnose-a-problem-with-the-Duraspark-Ignition-module

8/12/2023 9:18 AM  #3

Duraspark box won’t make it crank the starter in the ON position.

Check for broken wires at the duraspark plugs. Had same symptoms once. Old copper wires break internally at the plugs and cause intermittent NO SPARK

Be sure it is wired per the diagram I sent.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/12/2023 11:16 AM  #4

The second  box is shorted internally the white wire comes from the starter in the cranking position to retard timing wired by the owner so that one has internal failure the only other thing it could be is the pick up losing connection but the  Petronix distributor will eliminate all that and look clearer under the hood and it was 250.bucks and I won’t have to drive across town anymore lol. I will wire the pick up wires on my next drive over to the box and if that doesn’t work I will replace it with a new Petronix Distributor and coil I only spent about 1 1/2 hrs working on it twice  after the drive takes more time .1 1/2 Houston Traffic Thanks for the info

Last edited by Coupedaddy (8/12/2023 11:18 AM)

8/12/2023 11:36 AM  #5

My 69 has a Pertronix for that exact same reason.  I installed and wired in a brand new Duraspark setup.  Would not run at all.  I yanked it all and put a Pertronix Ignitor III stock look distributor in it and it fired right up.  Turns out the new pickup in the duraspark was bad.  The Ignitor III has multi-spark like an MSD does, so it idles better when cold.

That is a nice looking Lincoln.  Hopefully the Houston rust has not gotten to it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/12/2023 12:34 PM  #6

Somebody has rewired the coil. The factory DS coil connector was a 1 piece horseshoe shaped piece of plastic. And the coil is obviously not a Ford coil. The DS ignition system used a standard coil. It certainly appears that coil is some sort of "50,000 Volt Super Zapper" coil and it is causing the problem.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/standard-ignition/lighting---electrical/connectors---terminals/ignition-coil-connector/42e77feef12e/standard-ignition-2-terminal-multi-purpose-connector/std0/s583/v/a/5600/automotive-car-1976-lincoln-continental?pos=0

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/blue-streak/ignition---tune-up/ignition-coil/bcbc445c20d7/standard-ignition-blue-streak-ignition-coil/std2/fd476/v/a/5600/automotive-car-1976-lincoln-continental?pos=0

8/12/2023 1:58 PM  #7

Dats a 'BIG-old honk'in hawg !!!  I bet the ride will be like sitt'in on a couch....
A nice set of "gangsta-rumz" and it will be done.  NICE ride
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/12/2023 3:45 PM  #8

Now the boys all thought I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/12/2023 10:37 PM  #9

Hey Coupe….this is the Stinkin’ Lincoln 😁

Axe me how eye know. 😜

Last edited by Nos681 (8/12/2023 10:38 PM)

8/12/2023 11:19 PM  #10

The Lincoln came with points from the factory

8/13/2023 6:58 AM  #11

Coupedaddy wrote:

Then whomever did the DS conversion did it incorrectly.

8/13/2023 7:19 AM  #12

Texas! wrote:

Coupedaddy wrote:

Then whomever did the DS conversion did it incorrectly.

And I think we discovered the real problem: someone else's wiring job. 

8/13/2023 9:43 AM  #13

The problem is it's a Lincoln.  It just can't accept.one of those common blue grommet boxes.  It has to have the fancy yellow grommet boxes that works with the altitude pressure sensor. Just because.   .

Last edited by Greg B (8/13/2023 9:45 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/15/2023 6:53 PM  #14

I am ashamed to say it bought a Petronix distributor and would fate has it started lasted  a minute longer running and then it died Have I been in the office to long new coil and distributor

8/18/2023 9:17 PM  #15

Got the stinking Lincoln fired up and he drove it today Installed new distributor I used my old Petronix flame thrower 2 coil . The transmission shift so smooth I had him manually shift it to make sure it was changing gears. Let’s see if he buys it tomorrow still has a short somewhere I ran it off of my jump box power up the coil. I been working on it in the guys driveway.it would be nice to get a good look at iunder the car no oil leaks so far just one PS hose. May have it at the bash lol

8/19/2023 4:22 PM  #16

Maybe get a ride while "bash'in".......!?!

Last edited by 6sally6 (8/19/2023 4:23 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/20/2023 9:30 AM  #17

Well he purchased the car I advised him that Lincoln has more wires in the door than my whole harness in the 65 lmbo there may be lots of wiring problems lol. He wanted it so a bash thrash begins . Pray all is well with everyone in these trying times

8/20/2023 12:03 PM  #18

If it winds up having too many problems remember:  A two door deathmobile looks almost as good as a suicide door deathmobile. 

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/20/2023 4:46 PM  #19

Photo Courtesy of the John Blutarski Presidential Library. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.