FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2023 1:08 PM  #1

Initial timing.

How does one know what the initial timing should be on a particular engine?
  Numerous sources say any where from 6 to 14, like what is it, a guessing game?
Shouldn’t there  be something more specific?

Last edited by Rudi (9/08/2023 1:12 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/08/2023 1:28 PM  #2

Re: Initial timing.

It depends on a LOT of factors.  You can't just think of initial timing; you have to think total advance.  On a typical low performance engine you are going to shoot for like 38-42 degrees total.  On a very high performance engine it might be as little as 32.  So you need to know how much mechanical advance is coming in, and you see different specs for different engines because they often use different advance curves and amounts.  These old Ford distributors have two slots in which the advance arm rides (under the breaker plate).  You can change that to get more or less mechanical advance.  The slots are marked something like 9 and 13.  Double that number is your mechanical advance.  Most engines don't want a ton of base timing.  It can make them hard to crank over on starting and cause other issues.  I would use the highest mechanical slot, so 13 in this example, and know I have 26 degrees mechanical advance.  If my target is 38 I set base timing to 12.  Then all I need to do is see where its all in at RPM wise, and change springs if I need it in sooner or later.  I usually shoot for all in by 3,000 RPM. 

Complicating matters is that factory specs are a bunch of compromises and Fords are notorious for having too little advance and too high a curve.  If things like emissions are not a concern, and you want best power ignore the factory specs and tune as I describe above.  My neighbor used to wake up all the new Fords around here back in the day by fixing the advance curve and properly setting the lifter preload on the hydraulic cam engines.  Much better punch around town and another 500RPM at the strip.  Super smart guy because that stuff still works. 

9/08/2023 1:32 PM  #3

Yeah it can be anywhere if you look at manuals over the years. I've always gone by the stock recommended setting for the specific year and engine that came in the vehicle as a starting point. It's very dependent on mods though, fuel, power adder (if any), carb, stock efi, aftermarket efi, etc. In my Lightning that was 10 deg BTDC base, but the Megasquirt will change it to achieve and maintain a specific idle RPM (so 10-15 degrees usually).

Was that what you meant?

9/08/2023 1:56 PM  #4

EFI can be a bit of a different animal because the ECU does some or all of the timing.  On the EECIV systems we used to bump base timing 2 degrees until the car slowed down (track testing) then pull 1 degree back out until we got the best time.  The advance curve and max advance were determined by the ECU and TFI module, so without the ability to tune you couldn't really do anything about them.  The idea was we were in effect just moving the whole curve up by X degrees by changing the base timing.  A danger here was that those engines didn't use a knock sensor, so you could hurt the engine if you went too far. 

GM systems used a knock sensor, but if you got knock it pulled a ton of timing out of it.  Sometimes those sensors would "see" knock the wasn't there from a noisy timing set, etc.  The Ford systems were WAY better.

Modern EFI has complete timing control, some even doing cylinder to cylinder timing when they use individual coil packs per cylinder.  Of course there is no distributor anymore and timing is referenced off crank and cam position sensors. 

9/08/2023 2:06 PM  #5

Yep, but it still has a base/initial setting, and I believe that's what Rudi was asking. I imagine the question is more for non-efi stuff, but it's relevant for all of them.

9/08/2023 3:33 PM  #6

Sometimes...a 'pitcher' is worth a 1000 words......
THIS is where I 'go-to' trying to unnerstan Duraspark ignition curve mods...
6sal6

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/08/2023 6:01 PM  #7

In my case EFI and Duraspark are not relevant .
I have a Crane optical trigger distributor where I can dial in the  timing for start rpm, curve and total timing. It can also do the vacuum settings.
IIRC the initial is 12, 32 total at 2900
I have adjusted and fiddled with it for years but still wonder if there is anything left on the table.
Right now the car is performing very nicely, plenty of power and good gas mileage.but still ????, I am a constant tinkerer , and don’t know when to stop
Engine is a 331, 9.1-1 cr, aluminum performer heads,  mild cam tri-y’s, 670 Holley dripping pot, TT BB1🤪

9/08/2023 6:37 PM  #8

Rudi wrote:

In my case EFI and Duraspark are not relevant .
I have a Crane optical trigger distributor where I can dial in the timing for start rpm, curve and total timing. It can also do the vacuum settings.
IIRC the initial is 12, 32 total at 2900
I have adjusted and fiddled with it for years but still wonder if there is anything left on the table.
Right now the car is performing very nicely, plenty of power and good gas mileage.but still ????, I am a constant tinkerer , and don’t know when to stop
Engine is a 331, 9.1-1 cr, aluminum performer heads, mild cam tri-y’s, 670 Holley dripping pot, TT BB1🤪

Honestly, the only verifiable way to get more out of it would be a steady state chassis dyno (rolling road) and realistically the cost would not be justifiable. I'd keep tinkering, reading plugs, and listening for detonation.

9/08/2023 7:21 PM  #9

If it ain't broke...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/08/2023 7:27 PM  #10

Bearing Bob wrote:

If it ain't broke...

LOL, keep messing with it till it is🤪

9/08/2023 7:48 PM  #11

Try advancing timing until you just hear it ping under hard acceleration, then back it off 1-2 degrees.

If you change springs to allow earlier or later full advance, you’ll have to do it all over again.

Some camshaft manufacturers have a suggested initial timing in install instructions.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/08/2023 7:50 PM)

9/08/2023 8:32 PM  #12

I’d do that Dan but this distributor doesn’t have any springs in it and going to a Duraspark is not gonna happen.😁

9/09/2023 5:18 AM  #13

What do the two potentiometers adjust on distributor?

9/09/2023 7:30 AM  #14

They are rotary switches, one is for vacuum advance, three settings, the other is timing curves and limits, 10 settings.
The distributor was deleted from production when FAST bought out Crane.

9/09/2023 9:48 AM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

Try advancing timing until you just hear it ping under hard acceleration, then back it off 1-2 degrees.

If you change springs to allow earlier or later full advance, you’ll have to do it all over again.

Some camshaft manufacturers have a suggested initial timing in install instructions.

The problem with the "Just Hear It Ping" method is that some of us can't hear.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/09/2023 1:21 PM  #16

RV6 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

In fairness, some of them won't ping either.  I've seen low compression engines with the timing off by 60 degrees that never pinged.

9/09/2023 1:26 PM  #17

Could there be more in it?  Sure.  Problem is that you need a way to verify what you are doing.  That requires either a chassis dyno or a drag strip (if you can run the car consistently enough so changes can't possibly be coming from anything else).  A timing change from stock to 12-14 degrees often would net us a 0.100 second reduction in ET on a stock 5.0 Mustang.  This is the equivalent of adding 10HP.  A 2 degree change though  might have been too small to notice.  5HP is 0.050 for example, and 2.5HP is 0.025.  A slight temperature or humidity shift, or a little better bite off the line could easily be responsible for that variation.  Even on a chassis dyno when you start looking at 1-2HP you are probably within the margin for error of the testing equipment. 

9/10/2023 8:08 AM  #18

RV6 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

That did cross my mind.

9/10/2023 9:53 AM  #19

Even though the engine runs great and being a 331 has ample power and good gas mileage , the question always in the back of my mind is “do I have it right”
I’ll probably take BB1’s advice.
Nevertheless, thank y’all for the input.

Last edited by Rudi (9/10/2023 10:00 AM)

9/10/2023 5:23 PM  #20

RUDI...?  He's BB2....PLEASE!!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/10/2023 5:49 PM  #21

Ha! When I read Rudi's post this morning I had to go back and find what advice you gave Bullet, cuz I couldn't remember you giving any. 😁

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/10/2023 7:14 PM  #22

DUH, got my ones and twos cris crossed.😱

9/11/2023 6:52 AM  #23

Just want you to get credit where it's due, Bob.  I know how sensitive you can be.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.