FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2023 6:28 AM  #1

Gauge Cluster

Hello all,
I've read some articles here on gauge clusters and want to ask about the Dakota Digital. I'm looking for nice white faced gauges for my 65 and am leaning toward HDX series, but the description says "Silver" not white. I see that Autometer makes an Arctic white. I do like the look of the DD HDX, but just not sure about how "white" or "gray" they are in real life. Has anyone purchased these that can comment on the color? My interior is white and thought the white gauge cluster might be a good addition. I've looked at Hye-Po, Dakota Digital, Classic Instruments, and Autometer. I'd consider either the 5-hole cluster (with tach built into the speedo as on the HDX) or the separate tach with the 6-hole cluster.

9/19/2023 7:18 AM  #2

Re: Gauge Cluster

Personally I don’t care for digital gauges in old Mustangs, analogue don’t jump around like the distracting numbers  and colours of digitals.

I used Autometer arctic white gauges in my custom panel. I chose white over black for better visibility ,  easier on my old eyes .

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/19/2023 2:02 PM  #3

To me, digital gauges look like something out of the '80s.  They belong in the dated bin with 37 color paint jobs, billet everything, and stinkbug stance. 

I picked out gauges by Autometer I thought looked reasonable for the '60s and modified a stock replacement bezel to fit them, made an aluminum backing plate, and modified the wiring accordingly.  I added two more gauges in a 2 gauge mount below the radio.  Someday I'll blend those into a custom console. 

9/19/2023 5:03 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

To me, digital gauges look like something out of the '80s.  They belong in the dated bin with 37 color paint jobs, billet everything, and stinkbug stance. 

I picked out gauges by Autometer I thought looked reasonable for the '60s and modified a stock replacement bezel to fit them, made an aluminum backing plate, and modified the wiring accordingly.  I added two more gauges in a 2 gauge mount below the radio.  Someday I'll blend those into a custom console. 

Got pictures?
Sounds like exactly what I did!
, only I put two extras in a pillar pod.

https://imgur.com/Qnp9TF8

Last edited by Rudi (9/19/2023 5:04 PM)

9/19/2023 5:20 PM  #5

I just got some white appliques and stuck them on my 66 gauges......Looks great....easy to see...cheap to the pocket
Triple header !!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/20/2023 6:37 AM  #6

I put the Hye-Po gauges in my 66.  Comp II bright white5 gauge set.  I am very happy with them. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

9/26/2023 2:27 PM  #7

I finally located a set of gauges I like, but they are 3 1/8 and the bezel i'm looking at is 3 3/8" unfortunately. Does anyone know if there is an adapter to make a 3 1/8" gauge fit into a 3 3/8" bezel? Seems like alot of bezels are plastic too. The one from Eddie Motorsports is billet aluminum but pricey. That one also is 3 3/8" opening.

9/26/2023 3:16 PM  #8

Try BB1’s  custom  aluminum ring  and spacer turning service .🤪
Or you may be able to find some  correct diameter ABS  or PCV  plastic pipe or fittings and cut some spacer rings out of them. Shoot some silver paint on them.

Last edited by Rudi (9/26/2023 3:23 PM)

9/27/2023 2:55 PM  #9

I used 5" and 2-5/8" gauges.  These fit my '67 cluster after I hogged out the holes a bit with an electric grinder.  I had a time when I needed a step down ring for another vehicle I made a cluster for and I just had it machined by a guy I knew that had a lathe. 

9/27/2023 7:38 PM  #10

For me, I really like the HyePo 60's muscle car 6 gauge cluster. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.