FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2023 11:25 AM  #1

Inspiration please

I may do an oil change this afternoon! The shop furnace is on, got a jug of Castrol 5-40 synthetic and cracked open a new case of FL 1 A  filters.
Seems to be getting harder and harder to crawl under cars these days.☹️

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/09/2023 12:28 PM  #2

Re: Inspiration please

You deserve a new lift. I couldn’t live without mine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/09/2023 2:51 PM  #3

I agree but not enough shop ceiling height besides and regardless shoulder arthritis doesn’t allow working over head anymore
I did get the job done today but needed help getting off the floor a couple of times.
I need a “ Clapper”🤪

11/09/2023 3:49 PM  #4

I would suggest a copper one.😁

11/09/2023 4:31 PM  #5

Nos681 wrote:

Lol, good one Dan, I concur!

11/10/2023 12:44 AM  #6

MS wrote:

Lift? What's a lift? Gotta get back under the 65 with my new LubeLocker trans pan gasket. Floor jack and jack stands again. Rudi - you are right - it's getting tougher to do some of those things that weren't so tough not that long ago........

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/10/2023 7:31 AM  #7

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Lift? What's a lift? Gotta get back under the 65 with my new LubeLocker trans pan gasket. Floor jack and jack stands again. Rudi - you are right - it's getting tougher to do some of those things that weren't so tough not that long ago........

Amen to that. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/10/2023 8:29 AM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

Are those made by Claude Cooper, from Cleveland?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/10/2023 11:26 AM  #9

I have my 4 post lift in my garage at home that has an 8 foot ceiling. I love it. I bought a really nice creeper and adjust the lift so everything I work on is an easy reach between naps on the soft creeper. It also makes my trifocal glasses easier to take advantage of with a lot less head twisting while laying down.

11/10/2023 3:59 PM  #10

Only the 'weak' use a lift...Rudi !!

REAL MEN  climb under and git 'er done !!
Never had one........prolly never will.

(durn-it!)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/10/2023 4:00 PM  #11

Does dis count as a lift ?!!

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/10/2023 4:01 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/10/2023 6:45 PM  #12

Rudi, before I bought my lift I used four HF wheel dollies with two 12" pieces of 4X4 on each for the tires to set in a sort of "V".  This arrangement got the car high enough that I could quite easily work underneath it.  I did all the plumbing and  installation of the 8.8 with this setup.  My friend used it but went to sections of 6X6 to install the new exhaust system on his 69 Camaro.  That works great but is nearly too much for my floor jack.
Just sayin', it's an idea.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/11/2023 1:32 PM  #13

Yeah Bob cribing is always an option but Im getting to the point of no room for more stuff.
The jack stands  bolted to the the home made rollers get the car high enough to work on from underneath .
Every thing Ive done on the car including r&r of the engine, tranny, rear end etc.  was without a lift.
I also have a high lift floor jack that gives plenty of working height.
My issues are getting the car on them and getting up and down from the floor.

11/12/2023 4:16 PM  #14

Nice 'jacking plate' !!
6sal6

11/12/2023 4:27 PM  #15

Rudi wrote:

Yeah Bob cribing is always an option but Im getting to the point of no room for more stuff.
The jack stands  bolted to the the home made rollers get the car high enough to work on from underneath .
Every thing Ive done on the car including r&r of the engine, tranny, rear end etc.  was without a lift.
I also have a high lift floor jack that gives plenty of working height.
My issues are getting the car on them and getting up and down from the floor.

This looks dangerous as hell.  I have seen cars slide off of stuff like that

11/13/2023 9:01 AM  #16

Looks are deceiving. It’s not just a slab of barn board between the jack pad and the car!
The way I designed it , the only way the car  could “ slide off” would be is  if the laws of physics were repealed ,

Last edited by Rudi (11/13/2023 9:03 AM)

11/13/2023 9:04 AM  #17

DC wrote:

I have my 4 post lift in my garage at home that has an 8 foot ceiling. I love it. I bought a really nice creeper and adjust the lift so everything I work on is an easy reach between naps on the soft creeper. It also makes my trifocal glasses easier to take advantage of with a lot less head twisting while laying down.

Do you have any pics of the care on your lift?   I have a 9" ceilings and debating on a 4 post lift.  I didn't think 9 foot would get it up high enough.  

Last edited by Steve69 (11/13/2023 9:05 AM)

11/13/2023 12:26 PM  #18

Steve69 wrote:

DC wrote:

Do you have any pics of the care on your lift?   I have a 9" ceilings and debating on a 4 post lift.  I didn't think 9 foot would get it up high enough.  

Typical working height on my lift is when the top of the runway is at eye level. Add 4’ for the height of the car, and that is the height you need for clearance.
Or, set the car lower and get a modified chair on wheels like Daze has. They even make custom wheeled chairs in the aircraft industry for reclining while working under airplane wings.

11/13/2023 6:47 PM  #19

Steve69 wrote:

Steve, I have a 4 post lift with a 9' ceiling.  I use a rolling stool like MS mentions.  PM me your cell number, and I can text you a pic or 2.

I also found it VERY helpful to install "high lift" garage door tracks, which keeps my garage door about 6" from the ceiling, when open.  I got them from DDM garage doors, who is local to me, but he ships everywhere.  I can still have my car all the way up, with the garage door open.

11/14/2023 10:22 AM  #20

When I was in high school, I took metal shop and welded up a pair of steel angle iron ramps 48” long x 12” high. I used those things forever to do oil changes. When I got my lift, I gave them to Brian, and I think he still is using them.  I have a pair of Rhino Ramps that I have been saving to convert to entry ramps for my four post lift, so I have ramps more easily moveable.
So, ramps are a good option for oil change duty.

11/14/2023 12:04 PM  #21

I need one of these *and* a lift, too bad the chair is insanely priced.

https://youtu.be/XSrqn-t0KbQ?feature=shared

11/14/2023 12:09 PM  #22

I was thinking a crawler like that was needed when I first started reading this thread.  I'm not surprised that someone has made one.  It looks pretty fancy.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/14/2023 12:42 PM  #23

I got a Maxjax 2 poster for the lower garage because its in the basement and has a low overhead. You sit on rolling stool and go under the car. Its a lot easier than laying on the floor.

11/14/2023 5:47 PM  #24

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/14/2023 6:29 PM  #25

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

DC wrote:

Typical working height on my lift is when the top of the runway is at eye level. Add 4’ for the height of the car, and that is the height you need for clearance.
Or, set the car lower and get a modified chair on wheels like Daze has. They even make custom wheeled chairs in the aircraft industry for reclining while working under airplane wings.

Yup, used those a lot over the years to do work on the aircraft belly, and especially when doing sheet metal repairs and for lightning strike inspections.  Adjustable to get you up close enough to use a magnifying glass on possible strike locations along the belly. Definitely saves your neck when you have to look very closely at every square inch on the aircraft.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.